Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Campaign
    BG Level

I bought mine on release, never went on a real break from the game, and it's still working.
    Over the last few months it requires me to press really strong to receive the number, so I guess it's about to die.
    I have a couple of new ones from the FFXIV collector's edition packs that I could use in its place. Guess it's safer to deactivate mine while it still works?

How do you even deactivate it once it completely dies, I wonder?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

You contact square. You give them your square ID and the token, they ask you to list your accoint details such as full first name last name, your address from when you made your SE account when you were 14. If you get any information wrong they hang up on you if you give them all the correct information they remove the feature on their end and everything is all good. I've had my replacement token since my post in this thread nearly 9 years ago and its still going strong from use over xi and xiv. If you are holding onto a token from xiv collectors edition you do know battiers still go bad just as quickly as if they are used or not used yeah? I actually like to think they die faster when unused.

Or you could log into your SE account now and find the emergency deactivation code (red text mix of letters/numbers), that way not having to go through a phone call or email support at all going through the https://secure.square-enix.com/accou...vc/coercioncan link.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ive been wondering about this myself! Mine you have to push really hard on it to get a number to come up so i figuured it was dying. but if there is an actual indicator that is great news.

Campaign
    BG Level

That kind of battery degrades over years wether you use it or not, true. If you use it it degrades more! But granted the amount of electricity required for each use I can ackowledge it will be a really minimal difference.

Still, I have 2 tokens from FFXIV. One is from 2010 (8+ years old) and another one is from 2013 (6+ years old).
    Surely they've gotta have freshier batteries than my current one which is a token I bought on release. No clue when that was released, 2006? 2007?

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    That kind of battery degrades over years wether you use it or not, true. If you use it it degrades more! But granted the amount of electricity required for each use I can ackowledge it will be a really minimal difference.

Still, I have 2 tokens from FFXIV. One is from 2010 (8+ years old) and another one is from 2013 (6+ years old).
    Surely they've gotta have freshier batteries than my current one which is a token I bought on release. No clue when that was released, 2006? 2007?
    ~'09

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Dalaran

Just to add my experience I have a Blizzard Security Token from when they came out in 2008 that has been used thousands of times and it's still fine 12 years going, with these kinds of devices the LCD will begin to dim as the battery gets low. (In addition to the blinking someone mentioned). And it is actually possible to replace the battery in a token but it's in there pretty tight and I had to use very thin foil to shim an external power source under the battery before removing, and you need to apply 3V power while you are removing and replacing the battery. I have done this with other DigiKey security tokens and as long as you maintain power to them (again, standard 3V from any coin cell battery) you can get a new battery in there without the internal clock ever stopping. I don't suggest this unless you know what you're doing and have removed the token from your account first. It is just a standard CR2032 inside, and does require destroying the plastic casing somewhat. Best to try on a spare token; I personally refuse to use the phone-based apps since as has been discussed they are even more of a pain to deal with if your phone gets destroyed, submerged, etc.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

edit: wrong thread