+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

Capcom's mystery game at Comic-Con = Capcom vs. Namco x2?

Saw this on Kotaku:
    Those aren't two interpretations of the same piece of news; if Game Informer are to be believed, then two fighting games are currently in development, both pitting the stars of Namco against the stars of Capcom.

Note these are fighting games, not a continuation of the old Namco x Capcom RPG title that appeared on the previous hardware generation. Why two games? Simple: each company makes one! Capcom would be developing Capcom vs Namco, built on the Street Fighter IV engine, while Namco will develop Namco vs Capcom, which will run on the Tekken 6 engine.

As fighting game fans are already no doubt coming to grips with, this would mean two significantly different games, Street Fighter IV's 2D arenas contrasted nicely with Tekken's more three-dimensional combat.

GI say that Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono is handling Capcom's side of the deal, while it's expected Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada will be in charge of the opposing project.

If this information is good - and there have certainly been strong hints to suggest it is - then the two games' debut trailers will be shown this weekend at the San Diego Comic-Con.
    If this turns out to be true... Capcom version = fuck yes! Namco version = meh. Also, isn't this the same type of deal Capcom and SNK did back in the day? Each company made their own version of Capcom vs. SNK?

I don't think it's impossible, but I find this unlikely. I would think they are too fundamentally similar to release two separate games presumably at/around the same time. I could see it potentially cutting the market in half or maybe 70/30, in Capcom's favor, and I don't know about that.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

So the Namco version, if its anything like Tekken, will involve mass juggling, while the Capcom version will have people getting trolled by Guile again. Sounds hilarious.

I'd probably get both but if I had to choose 1, probably more people will play the Capcom version so far.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Going to feel sorry for whoever purchases Namco's take and wants to play it online given the majority will very likely take Capcom's release.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    If this turns out to be true... Capcom version = fuck yes! Namco version = meh. Also, isn't this the same type of deal Capcom and SNK did back in the day? Each company made their own version of Capcom vs. SNK?
    Yes, though SvC came out so much later it kind of passed over alot of people's heads (that and it kind of sucks).

I figured this is what the plan would be if they're doing crossover fighting games. Logically they'd probably release them about a 4 months to half a year opposite each other to maximize profits.

And I'd be buying both because I'm a whore like that (and the government pays me too much money)

Krandor gonna be at SDCC?

King from Tekken and Klonoa are the only Namco guys I recognise in the artwork posted on the Kotaku site. Pacman is Namco right? I hope he makes an appearance. :D

Some Tales characters might appear as well.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Bruiser Khang, please. The guy doesn't get enough love, considering how badass he is.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by LAGUNA View Post
    Krandor gonna be at SDCC?
    No ): I've been trying to find extra tickets these last 2 weeks since I missed the initial sale due to being stationed in VA for a month with no internet, but no dice.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And I see Strider!

Oh wait I'm retarded, that's the old Namco vs. Capcom being shown on Kotaku isn't it?

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    And I'd be buying both because I'm a whore like that (and the government pays me too much money)
    http://images.bluegartr.com/forum/si...pic29561_1.gif

HMMM ?

Anyhow, it seems these are supposed to be SF x Tekken games instead of general Capcom x Namco, or at least in the style of the two titles mentioned, given this report from SDCC: http://www.destructoid.com/sdcc-two-...d-179779.phtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6U7jZ-qMfI

Tag battles in the vein of SF seem awesome, but I am curious to see what the Tekken-style would look like.