+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

DC Universe Online (PC/PS4/XB1/PS3) F2P

Didn't see a thread for this. This actually has potential to be great. I didn't really like Champions online or City of Heroes/Villians so I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/

Can sign up for the PC and or PS3 beta here . I signed up for ps3 instead of pc since I'd rather test it on that than pc.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/21/dc...ed-with-stars/

Who would have thought that one of the strongest voice cast lineups we've seen in a good, long time would come from an MMORPG? Check out some of the talent Sony Online Entertainment managed to wrangle for its upcoming superpowered outing, DC Universe Online:

* Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy will reprise their frequent roles of The Joker and Batman, respectively. You may remember the sounds of their pipes from Arkham Asylum, as well as any other animated Batman project from the past 15 years.
    * Former Firefly stars Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin will voice Wonder Woman and Superman, respectively. Though you probably didn't need that "respectively" bit, due to your understanding of gender.
    * James Marsters will voice balding mastermind Lex Luthor. After playing Spike in Buffy, Brainiac in Smallville, Captain John in Torchwood and Piccolo in the recent Dragon Ball movie, this should be a nice notch in his nerd-fame belt.
    * Wonder Woman's adversary, Circe, will be voiced by Michelle Forbes, who provided the voice for Dr. Mossman in Half-Life 2. She's also been in every sci-fi show ever made. All of them. Seriously.

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Any idea if PS+ service will give you better chances for beta signup? I'm going to assume no but if they see someone signed up for the PS3 beta, I'm sure its not too hard to ask the PSN dept(this is a SOE game) to see if their email matches a PS+ account.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Hiryo View Post
    Any idea if PS+ service will give you better chances for beta signup? I'm going to assume no but if they see someone signed up for the PS3 beta, I'm sure its not too hard to ask the PSN dept(this is a SOE game) to see if their email matches a PS+ account.
    I'm not sure but since PS+ is supposed to get you in "exclusive" betas then I'm sure it probably would happen.

I thought we had a thread about this already, and talked about how bad the graphics were.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by The_OG_Nelta View Post
    I thought we had a thread about this already, and talked about how bad the graphics were.
    Really? Searched failed me for once then.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Well, lost me at the "micro-transactions" P2P with a cash shop, hurrdurr.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well this is interesting. To answer your question Hiryo

http://www.newsarama.com/games/SDCC-...ne-100724.html

4:06

To clarify, that's PlayStation Plus. If you are a member of the new PSN + you won't need an additional subscription. That suddenly makes that $50 PSN + fee a lot more attractive.
    Nov 2nd is the release date. Time to get PS+ cause I want to play this and FF14.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Game actually looks alot better than i remember from seeing some video of it last year, kind of excited to see how it turns out now, i cant see them having a problem getting customers at launch (for obvious reasons) but hopefully they can keep the community hooked.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP6Qn0UpWjI

holy shit that was awesome. 1 game sold right here and I hadn't even been following it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

That was amazing, and a little depressing at the same time. A movie based off that trailer would be an instant buy.

Thats not gameplay, but amazing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Leb View Post
    Well, lost me at the "micro-transactions" P2P with a cash shop, hurrdurr.
    really? I wasnt aware it was gonna have a real cash shop.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.massively.com/2010/07/26/...ivelys-interv/

Last week we had a chat with Sony Online Entertainment's President John Smedley about preorders and beta for DC Universe Online. We talked quite a bit about the ability to play as Batman via a preorder bonus, and one of the questions we asked was "Will there be more opportunities in the future to play as familiar DC Universe villains or heroes?"

John replied that they were thinking about it, but it sounds like the DCUO team has been doing a lot more than just thinking about it. We caught up with DCUO Studio Art Director Mike Daubert at Comic-Con this weekend, and he had some pretty exciting news for us.

Follow along after the jump to see what he had to say!

Massively: What do you have planned for the iconic characters in DCUO?

Mike: The number one thing everyone always asks is, "Oh, DC Universe, can I be Superman? Can I be Batman? Can I be Green Lantern," and we're like, "No, no, no, they already exist." You can't have a hundred Supermans flying around at the same time. What we're announcing now is that you can play as the iconics.

How we do this is that throughout the game you actually find "sim cards," like you find a Batman sim card. You collect these cards, and once you get into the PvP side of the game, then you can actually play as the iconic heroes or villains on whatever card you just collected.

Will these cards be tradeable to get what you need?

No. They're not tradeable, they're collectibles. To play as the Batman sim card is only through pre-order as well.

How many do you have to get?

Well, we haven't set the limit. You'll start pretty low like with Robin, Nightwing, Harley. The high-end ones are going to be our big six: Batman, Superman, Lex Luthor, The Joker, and so on.

Are they just going to be random world drops, or boss drops?

We're jumping into beta next week. That's where we're really going to start planning out where these drop to really make it worthwhile, because this isn't just a little thing. These are big, these are the things that you're really striving to get. And what better way to show off to your friends when you jump into PvP than to go, "Hey, who did you get?", "I got Robin.", "Oh really? I got Batman, let's go do this."

You can come in [to PvP] as your own character if you don't want to do that. You'll have a talent tree where you'll be able to spend points and keep beefing up your own character, and you'll be able to compete against Batman or whoever. It's one of those events where we want you guys to get into the game as quickly as possible. We always like immediate PvP action if you've only got twenty minutes or a half-hour to play. You can jump in and play as an iconic or play as your own character against an iconic, you get that whole experience.

Will you have to learn another power or skill set?

Absolutely, and that's where our replay value comes in. We're calling it "learn from the best, own the rest." It really comes down to learning all these different power sources, so what you have on your [PvP] character, as you get farther along and get these powers you already know how to use them.

If it's from someone else, at least when you go to make a new character you can say, "Oh, I played the fire guy, I played Superman, and he did this, and this is what I want to play for my next character." It's almost like being able to test-drive the super powers.

Do you have to collect a certain amount of cards to get the characters or the powers?

We haven't determined that yet. This literally came up in the past month where DC gave us the thumbs-up to play as the iconics. Now it goes through beta and we really want to make sure it's balanced, that the gameplay is there, and we do it the right way.

Do you have a demo?

Yeah, we've got one here. What we've got right now is a little portion of the Batcave, and what it is is that you're trying to hold the Bat Computer as long as you can against the heroes. You're actually playing as Joker, and it's king-of-the-hill style, so you hold it as long as you can in the contested areas.

Can you play as an iconic character in any of the PvP scenarios?

We haven't determined that yet, but whatever makes sense is what it's going to come down to.

Once you unlock an iconic character, is there a way to progress them after that?

This is where you use your PvP points, and spend them in the different areas that you need to.

How can you tell people apart visually if they're all playing the same character?

You'll all have different names. You won't name them The Joker because you're not really being The Joker. It's just a simulation.

What about the iconic armor?

That's the raid gear. Right now we have about 19 sets. We wanted to give the major raid gear, like Justice League and Secret Society of Villains raid gear. So right now there's Lex Luthor, Hawkman, Superman, Batman, Joker raid gear. It really is getting to the point that you're playing in the DC Universe and you can't be Superman, but you can get darn close. You can be as powerful as Superman. You are the next legend.

The ultimate goal is to have Superman come down and say, "Listen, I can't do this alone. Here's the raid gear that we made on Krypton with the S on it and the cape."

Thanks for your time, Mike!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Wow, their "idk lol" is "We haven't determined that yet".

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Sounds good slowly getting pumped for this.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Guess it was just a rumor. Oh well.

http://dualshockers.com/2010/07/24/n...iverse-online/

Today there was certainly a stir due to a little rumor which happened to emerge about the upcoming super-hero MMO DC Universe Online heading to PC and PlayStation 3 this November which DualShockers has confirmed to be false (see updated story). In the seeking of truth to this story even more information was uncovered pertaining to PS+ and DCUO which the gaming world may be interested to know. Not only was the original source wrong, but the truth is almost the complete opposite. Read on to find out.

As an online service known for providing discounts to PSN gamers, it is perhaps surprising to note that DC Universe Online will not receive any such discount offer for PS+ subscribers. The game will indeed cost $14.99 a month to play on the PlayStation 3 as well as PC in addition to the initial purchase cost of buying the game itself. Players will not receive any special treatment for subscribing to PS+. This has been directly confirmed by Sony Online Entertainment to DualShockers. We want to know from you, the reader, if whether or not this makes it a dealbreaker on whether to pass on DCUO or pick it up? Let us know in the comments section.

Just for the record, when we say discount, we’re referring to the subscription, not micro-transactions or DLC. Nothing has been said about that YET.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Was too good to be true, I guess.....

desolation yes hesitation no
    Bait of the House of Weave

BG Level

this was looking pretty interesting, but i really think they needed to develop this for cross platform play. I think they are fragmenting their base too much. I'll be playing FFXIV anyway, so any other MMO is out the window unless its a 10 day free trial for me.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Probably denied that because it would have been unfair to people who played on PC with no way for them to get out of the subs.

Banned.

BG Level

So right now there's Lex Luthor, Hawkman, Superman, Batman, Joker raid gear.
    Shit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast