1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 29 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 4 hours, 29 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Thaumaturge     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Has anyone tested syphon mp spell when subbed? how was it? was it worth it?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Shadowsong

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    The trade off being as a THM you can hit people much further away and in large groups easily, the cone is HUGE at the far end compared to conjurer's comparatively small circle.
    Ah I didn't know this. I've been mostly duoing so having my friend catapulted away and to death before I can cancel the Sacrifice animation is starting to bug me. :D

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryunokage Argantes
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Khadgar

Whenever I duo on Thaum I always face whoever I duo with with the mob between us. Since we mostly do Dodo's I never get hit by debuffs either and they are always in cone range.

As for potency being halved, that's nonsense.
    Cure on my Con 16 does 221 and Sacrifice does 141 with 40 MND.
    On Thaum 12, Cure does 171 and so does Sacrifice.
    Even though lowered, nowhere near halved.

You do notice shorter durations on stuff like Shock Spikes/Stoneskin etc though. I don't even bother equipping Stoneskin on Thaum anymore.

I'll end up lvling both, and use the same skills for pretty much everything for now.
    Just gonna use Con for group play and Thaum for solo due to a larger natural HP pool.

THM doesn't lack too much damage either tbh. Given, I lvl both THM and CON, having shock spikes etc to kill orange dodo's from lvl 10 on was good, and nowhere near a MP sink.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Sacrifice costs 53 HP. If it heals you for 141, you're only actually recovering 88. If it heals you for 171, you're only actually recovering 118.

THM damage is horrible at higher levels. From 10 to 20, you get no damage spells, unless you consider Bio and Dia. Their DoT is incredibly weak and the initial cast will often miss.

Scourge and Banish are vastly inferior to Phantom Dart spam mixed with a Damnation here and there. Phantom Dart destroys Scourge and Banish in terms of damage, both in practice and in theory.

There are way too many problems with THM solo, imo. Even in parties, casting debuffs seems to draw HUGE amounts of aggro. Even if I do nothing until my friend has built 1000 TP and used a TP attack, then cast Slow, the cast will always draw aggro to me. If I try to chain debuff the mob, there's no way to keep it off me without a taunt.

Whoever said Absorbs spells sucked, you lied. They own.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Whoever said Absorbs spells sucked, you lied. They own.
    Mind posting more about this?
    I want to believe they're good, but so far they didn't give me that impression.

By the way things get much better at rank 20. Sacrifice II is a much needed upgrade from Sac I (though still not optimal when soloing, HP cost is too high) and Syphon MP almost puts Exaltation to shame - it's that good.
    As soon as you have 8k guildmarks get Firm Conviction, as said above it's really good.

I found that having a shield (and using it) helps a lot with survability, but leveling Sentinel skill at a decent rate is another story.

Never did any extensive testing, but using Absorb DEF I went from getting hit for 200-220 to 160-180, also doing about 20 more damage with darts. It's hard to notice EVA and ACC, but ATK and DEF are certainly easy to notice. In a party they can be useful as well. They're not godlike, but they're not useless. I'd keep at least one Absorb spell equipped, mostly EVA because it sounds and looks pretty.

Of course, I relied on DEF when I was solo'ing before Sac II. And you're definitely right about the 20's, Sac II and Syphon are godlike. I wanna see if Silhouette helps now that I'm 20, I don't get hit as much, and between curing and using Silhouette, I barely run out of stamina.

Can you get Firm Conviction after your first class quest? It's still yellow for me, it's the first thing I wanted to buy.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Never did any extensive testing, but using Absorb DEF I went from getting hit for 200-220 to 160-180, also doing about 20 more damage with darts. It's hard to notice EVA and ACC, but ATK and DEF are certainly easy to notice. In a party they can be useful as well. They're not godlike, but they're not useless. I'd keep at least one Absorb spell equipped, mostly EVA because it sounds and looks pretty.

Of course, I relied on DEF when I was solo'ing before Sac II. And you're definitely right about the 20's, Sac II and Syphon are godlike. I wanna see if Silhouette helps now that I'm 20, I don't get hit as much, and between curing and using Silhouette, I barely run out of stamina.

Can you get Firm Conviction after your first class quest? It's still yellow for me, it's the first thing I wanted to buy.
    its yellow for me to.. rank 16

I got it at 19.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Might be an obvious question but when you use Absorb spells are you able to see the effect in your stats? If so that should give you a good indication of ATK/DEF/EVA/ACC boost.

Syphon MP works on dead mobs. Not sure if it was intended to work that way but it's freaking hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sign View Post
    Might be an obvious question but when you use Absorb spells are you able to see the effect in your stats? If so that should give you a good indication of ATK/DEF/EVA/ACC boost.
    I haven't checked, I will next time though, as I never usually open the menu when I'm fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    Syphon MP works on dead mobs. Not sure if it was intended to work that way but it's freaking hilarious.
    I noticed that as well. It seems broken, but it's so awesome that I don't care.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

They said that it would a long time ago, and its targetable on corpses that haven't disappeared yet. Drain is supposed to as well.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

after i hit 20 im felling invincible.. seriously, how can you die having infinite mp (syphon ftw), being able to heal before the mob can hit you again, having a shield, stunning the enemy when he hits you AND if you want everytime he hits you he gets hit back for the same amount, and i didnt even try firm conviction yet.

I really feel that i should equip provoke and help tank so i can level up my shield.. it seems stupid not to do it since all spells are aoe anyway, and im most likely to get hit for less than a tank if im casting and having the shield up.

btw, my stats do not update on menu after a protect or absorb-DEF..

thm is the new rdm.

Things get even funnier once you learn and set abilities from other classes like Fast Cast.
    THM started off terrible but I have to agree that it feels like the new RDM.
    Getting my revenge on one of those damn ants outside Ul'Dah at rank 20 felt pretty good.

Anyway, is Initiation bugged? I never got it to works with Barbs, Shock Spikes, Stoneskin, Regen and Absorbs.

20 is definitely the high point for THM. Infinite MP is awesome. Considering how many Conjurer marks I get, I might just get fast cast, as Firm Conviction is pretty awesome and can only get better.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Yes, Firm Conviction is great. It reduces damage by ~60% on average, for me, at least.

I think it may be bugged, though. It seems like it's almost always active as long as I'm in active mode, regardless of whether I'm casting. Sometimes it will randomly stop working, but after casting one or two spells, it comes back.

I still have a problem with our skill gain due to low damage. Maybe Scourge II makes it better, but my PUG friend gets easily 2-3x as much skill as I do, because my damage is so low and debuffing gives very few points.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

whats the min lvl for gsm to repair Silver Scepter?

i have gsm 13 and failed 3 times in a row..

gonna up to 14 and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    Things get even funnier once you learn and set abilities from other classes like Fast Cast.
    THM started off terrible but I have to agree that it feels like the new RDM.
    Getting my revenge on one of those damn ants outside Ul'Dah at rank 20 felt pretty good.

Anyway, is Initiation bugged? I never got it to works with Barbs, Shock Spikes, Stoneskin, Regen and Absorbs.
    It works with absorb spells. I was using it to transfer accuracy and attack to a MRD in my party.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    whats the min lvl for gsm to repair Silver Scepter?

i have gsm 13 and failed 3 times in a row..

gonna up to 14 and try again.
    Silver scepter iirc is a 21 synth. I'd be surprised if you even managed to repair it at 15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast