1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 16 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Gladiator     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

In phase 3 of the beta test I know for certain that I would occasionally get the message "You partially block" when my shield was down, but this was almost after my shield arm had fallen so I chalked it up to lag and the game messing up. Also, whenever I got messages like that (and even sometimes when I had my shield raised) I would always get sword skill instead of shield skill. I haven't seen the messages messing up in OB but I can't tell if it still screws up and gives sword skill on blocks sometimes or not due to them not showing the skill gained from parry/blocks.

Edit: As for the concern about wanting Gladiator to feel like a paladin, Aegis Boon will handle any concerns you might have. Presuming it has remained unchanged you gain temporary invincibility towards blockable attacks for the normal duration of guard (sadly the trait Self Preservation does not affect the length of Aegis Boon) and gain about 40~45% of the damage you would've taken back as hp. The only issue with it I saw was that I didn't gain shield skill because the game was acting like the enemies weren't attacking me when I absorbed their hits (this included not showing any attack animations from them).

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

But yeah it'S true it's hard to skill shield i'm glad 8/shield 3

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dein View Post
    In phase 3 of the beta test I know for certain that I would occasionally get the message "You partially block" when my shield was down, but this was almost after my shield arm had fallen so I chalked it up to lag and the game messing up. Also, whenever I got messages like that (and even sometimes when I had my shield raised) I would always get sword skill instead of shield skill. I haven't seen the messages messing up in OB but I can't tell if it still screws up and gives sword skill on blocks sometimes or not due to them not showing the skill gained from parry/blocks.
    This may be what I've been encountering, then. Sometimes it's a bit ambiguous as to what is a bug or lag and what is intended by design.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

would like to know where to get the Gladiator guild marks

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Rank 20 leves.

BG Level

Dumb question i'm sure but can you learn skill with shield? or are you stucked with Guard?

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Dumb question i'm sure but can you learn skill with shield? or are you stucked with Guard?
    You can, but there's only 1 skill per 10 levels.

At 10, you get Aegis Boon, which, as Dein said, negates damage completely from all blocked attacks and returns a small amount of HP instead.

A higher level skill is apparently a Provoke-like effect, and there is eventually an Aegis Boon II as well.

Through level 50 there isn't currently a Shield Bash or equivalent, the few skills you get are either defensive or hate-generating only.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Amastacia View Post
    Through level 50 there isn't currently a Shield Bash or equivalent, the few skills you get are either defensive or hate-generating only.
    Is the first post in this thread wrong then?

Shield Bash (Rank 14 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 500 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 30s )
    ◦ Slam an enemy with your shield, dealing blunt damage. May interrupt cats and temporarily render the target unable to cast again for several seconds.

BG Level

Ya lv 14 shield I guess, which is hard to lv up!

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've heard from a friend who's on the beta that you can equip the PUG ability that's like Chakra for MNK in XI on GLD for curing yourself. Is this worthwhile for self curing? I've never played so don't know, but it would seem that an instant ability like that would be more beneficial than an 8-9 second casting of cure.

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
    I've heard from a friend who's on the beta that you can equip the PUG ability that's like Chakra for MNK in XI on GLD for curing yourself. Is this worthwhile for self curing? I've never played so don't know, but it would seem that an instant ability like that would be more beneficial than an 8-9 second casting of cure.
    For a pinch it can be good but it tends to only heal for 90~100 hp in OB, costs half of your stamina bar, and has a 1:30min coold down when you sub it. It only takes me 3 to 4 seconds to cast Cure on myself so I use that if I'm really getting beat up, but once you get Aegis Boon it becomes easier to handle harder fights.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ahh ok, I was never told how much it actually cures. Is spell interruption a huge part of spellcasting in XIV?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Its not too big, from what I've experienced as a 20+ conj. Every now and then you'll get your shit rock and the spell will "fail", but there's no recast timer if it fails so you can simply press it again, assuming you can cut through the lag.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ok cool. Was wanting to know basically if investments in Fast Cast and/or interruption down gear/traits was going to be necessary. According to the description, Gladiators can choose not to use shields to focus on their sword hand. Does anyone know if dual wield is a possible unlock for Gladiators? With the ability to pretty much fully customize your traits for these jobs, Gladiator seems like it's going to have lots of play styles for tanking options. Does anything else look promising for tanking? I'd like to see more than just PLD, NIN, and the occasional RDM/NIN setups.

BG Level

Ok so repeating what I asked another time since we got more Info

Since dealing DMG seems important in this game for hate STR is a must

Dex is kinda useless exept for Criticals hit

Vit is Important for HP and DEF
    MND is important for Magic DEF and MP (for some TP moves)

So I was planning going

VIT > STR > MND > DEX

as for Resist planning to keep them all even for Resists

Anyone object or sees it another way?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Judging from what you posted, it's looking like the game mechanics, in regards to stats, are almost parallel to how it worked in XI. Are you planning on making an elemental resist setup or are you just trying to find the most efficient way to keep hate through the distribution of your points?

You probably know more than me about it, as I've stated in another post, I haven't played the beta myself yet, so all my info is from various sites and heresy. With that in mind, weapon dmg wasn't very efficient in XI for keeping hate. At least not until PLD's got Atonement. If this is playing like XI (which it kinda sounds like so far), hate abilities and magic is probably going to generate more enmity than physical attacks.

I'd imagine if you were going toe-to-toe with a MAR, he's probably going to have higher STR than you, so that alone isn't going to keep your hate level above his. My guess is a combination of your physical attacks, magic, and hate tool abilities is going to be key in keeping the mob focused on you. My approach will be to level most of these jobs up to 10-12 to buy some traits and find combinations of said traits that generate a decent amount of enmity.

This is all purely outside perception, I may wooshing this entire thing. I'm excited to find out in 2 days though!

BG Level

I'm not necessarly saying that normal DMG does, but there is alot of TP moves that increase hate, so i'm sure that DMG dealt will help on Enmity

As for the resist, since reallocating points is annoying I gues it'S better to put points equal and try to find gear to enhance more.

But that can alll change overtime

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I see. Is there a penalty for reallocating points, or do you have to pay an NPC gil or something? It would be pretty awesome if you could redo your points depending on what you're doing.

As an example, going balls out on a physical dmg resist build for tanking a mob that hits like a truck. Then, changing your points around for a more offensive build to solo or something. Can you do this or nay?

BG Level

No it'S just that it'S 5points per section per 30min RL

So exemple I set

10 in STR
    20 in VIT

Well it's gonna take me long

first 30min will take off 5 in STR and 5 in VIT other 30min will take 5 in STR 5 in VIT, 30min after 5 in vit then another 5in vit

That is if you dont put pts in other stats before you finish taking them all out

Same for Lightining Fire etc

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So there's only a time penalty on resetting the points then?