1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 52 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 16 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 17 hours, 52 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Gladiator     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Gladiator

Mod Edit: Updated 8/30/10, credit for the 30+ abilities goes to Gulkeeva.

The Best Defense

Gladiators specialize in the handling of all manner of one–handed blades, from daggers to longswords, be they single– or double–edged, straight or curved. A defining characteristic of the guild is its emphasis on diverse combat tactics, training its members to bring their martial skills to bear in any situation.
    As such, there are practitioners who marry sword with shield, seeking to defend their fellow companions. Others opt for an empty off hand, choosing instead to focus entirely on their sword arm. The gladiator’s proficiency with blades also extends to those hurled at range, such as throwing knives.

Abilities(Sword)
    ● Light Stab (Rank 1 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: Instant )
    Attack with your sword, dealing piercing damage.

● Light Slash (Rank 1 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: Instant )
    Attack with your sword, dealing slashing damage.

● Rampart (Rank 4 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 5m )
    Fight to protect yourself, increasing defense and magical defense.

● Provoke (Rank 10 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 20s )
    Gesture threateningly, increasing enmity and temporarily focusing the target's attacks on you.

● Still Precision (Rank 14 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 90s )
    Steady yourself, increasing accuracy and reducing evasion.

● Obsess (Rank 18 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 45s )
    Focus on a single enemy, increasing defense against the target while reducing defense against all other targets.

● Cover (Rank 22 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 60s )
    Come to the aid of another, positioning yourself between the target and an enemy to redirect damage to yourself instead.

● Cadence (Rank 26 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 60s )
    Control the pace of battle, increasing the power of your next attack while in battle regimen mode.

● Ambidexterity - Possibly bought with guild marks (Rank 30 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 5m )
    Focus on your off hand, halving stamina cost of your next action.

● Rampart II (Rank 34 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 5m )
    Fight to protect yourself, increasing defense and magical defense.

● Sentinel (Rank 36 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 60s )
    Thwart attacks to fluster your enemies, reducing damage dealt to you and slowing loss of enmity.

● Provoke II (Rank 40 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 20s )
    Gesture threateningly, increasing enmity and temporarily focusing the target's attacks on you.

● Still Precision II (Rank 44 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 90s )

● Tempered Will (Rank 46 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 90s )
    Harden your resolve, increasing magic resistance and removing bind and heavy effects.

● Obsess II (Rank 48 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 45s )
    Focus on a single enemy, increasing defense against the target while reducing defense against all other targets.

Abilities(Shield)

● Guard (Rank 1 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: Instant )
    Guard with your shield.

● Aegis Boon (Rank 10 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 60s )
    Recover behind the safety of your shield, increasing defense against frontal attacks and converting blocked damage into HP.

● Shield Bash (Rank 14 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 500 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 30s )
    Slam an enemy with your shield, dealing blunt damage. May interrupt cats and temporarily render the target unable to cast again for sveeral seconds.

● Outmaneuver (Rank 20 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 60s )
    Strategize for survival, increasing defense against frontal attacks and increasing TP generated by blocks.

● War Drum (Rank 30 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 45s )
    Create a clamor, increasing enmity.

● Aegis Boon II (Rank 40 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 60s )
    Recover behind the safety of your shield, increasing defense against frontal attacks and converting blocked damage into HP.

● Shield Bash (Rank 44 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 500 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 30s )
    Slam an enemy with your shield, dealing blunt damage. May interrupt cats and temporarily render the target unable to cast again for sveeral seconds.

● Deflection (Rank 50 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 0 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 60s )
    Focus on your shield arm, increasing defense against frontal attacks and negating a portion of blocked damage.

Weapon Skills

● Red Lotus (Rank 2 - MP Cost: 10 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Invoke the power of flame and strike, dealing fire damage.

● Circle Slash (Rank 6 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Spin your weapon fiercely, dealing damage to nearby enemies.

● Phalanx (Rank 8 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 250 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 5s )
    Strike from behind the safety of your shield, dealing slashing damage and increasing enmity. Can only be executed following a block.
    Note: Requires equipped shield and use of Guard ability.

● Spinstroke (Rank 12 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Feint and then strike, dealing slashing damage to the target. Increases attack power when the target is not engaging you.

● Howling Vortex (Rank 16 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Sound a haunting howl with your weapon, dealing slashing damage and temporarily lengthening the target's cast times.

● Onion Cut (Rank 16 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 40s )
    Feign weakness and then attack, dealing slashing damage.

● Luminous Spire (Rank 24 - MP Cost: 20 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Imbue your blade with brilliance, dealing astral damage and reducing the target's magic defense. Blinds other nearby enemies.

● Red Lotus II (Rank 28 - MP Cost: 10 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Invoke the power of flame and strike, dealing fire damage.

● Rage of Halone (Rank 30 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: 5s - Recast: 10s )
    Halone guides your weapon, dealing piercing damage. Increases attack power in the proportion to the amount of damage sustained while readying.

● Circle Slash (Rank 32 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Spin your weapon fiercely, dealing damage to nearby enemies.

● Phalanx II (Rank 38 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 250 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 5s )
    Strike from behind the safety of your shield, dealing slashing damage and increasing enmity. Can only be executed following a block.
    Note: Requires equipped shield and use of Guard ability.

● Spinstroke II (Rank 42 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 1000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Feint and then strike, dealing slashing damage to the target. Increases attack power when the target is not engaging you.

● Riot Blade (Rank 50 - MP Cost: 0 - TP Cost: 2000 - Cast Time: Instant - Recast: 10s )
    Unleash a shockwave, increasing attack power and dealing slashing damage at range. Increases enmity and renders the target incapable of using weapon skills for a short time.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So let's talk about Gladiator.

In phase 3 I was 21 gladiator 25 phys. Also leveled Pugilist to 11.

Found it near impossible to hold hate, especially from mages using Cure.

However, I learned the ability Taunt (basically Provoke) from Pugilist at rank 10 and also bought Heavy Slash with my Gladiator Guild Marks.

With Provoke, Taunt, Phalanx, and Heavy Slash I have no problem holding hate anymore. Now my biggest enemy is the delay in combat, pressing an action key and having it either not go off or go off 5-10 seconds later.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

This is the most complete skill listing I have from phases 2 + 3.

They are all incomplete in some way, so if you see anything wrong or have info I don't, let me know and I'll correct them.

Skills & Traits you buy with Marks:

Spoiler: show

A note on the skills/traits:
    The skills that increase an Attribute temporarily on the gathering classes cannot be used on the combat classes.
    So far, each combat class has 2 skills, a level 20 one and a level 40 one. The skills cost zero TP, zero MP and cost no Action Points to equip.
    The skills that say "Increase TP generation" do less damage than a normal attack but give 150-200% more TP.
    The traits that grant class affinity are designed to increase the effectiveness of your cross class skills. Equipping the CON affinity trait on another class will boost the effectiveness of the Cure spells for example.
    The Attribute swap traits can be used to reduce the diminishing returns penalty when buying your stats.

For example:

You buy the +10 STR to +10 INT trait.

Your STR is 40, your INT is 15.

If you put 10 allocation points into STR your STR will now be 45 (it costs two points to raise a STAT beyond 40).

However, if you put 10 points into INT, and equipped the trait, your STR will be 50, and your INT still 15.

You get 5 more points of STR for the same allocation point cost, and have the advantage of already having some INT should you swap to a mage class.

The skills:

Gladiator 1-26
    Known Skills and Traits (Subject to change)

1: Light Slash
    TP Cost: 0
    Action Cost: 0
    Cooldown: TBC
    Requires: Gladiator
    Attack with your sword, dealing slashing damage.

1: Light Stab
    Action Cost: 0
    Requires: Gladiator
    Attack with your sword, dealing piercing damage.

2: Red Lotus

TP Cost: 1000
    MP Cost: 10
    Action Cost: 1
    Cooldown: 8 seconds
    Requires: Disciples of War, Disciples of Magic
    Invoke the power of the flame and strike, dealing fire damage.

4: Rampart
    Action Cost: 3
    Cooldown: 5mins
    Protect yourself, increasing defense and magical defense.

6: Circle Slash
    Spin your weapon fiercely, increasing attack power and dealing slashing damage to nearby targets.

8: Phalanx
    TP Cost: 250
    Requires: TBC
    Move deftly from defense to offense, increasing attack power and dealing slashing damage. Increases enmity. Can only be executed following a block.

10rovoke

Cooldown 20secs
    Use a threatening gesture to increase enmity.

12: Spinstroke
    Feint before attacking, dealing slashing damage to the target. Increases attack power when the target is not engaging you.

14: Still Precision

16: Howling Vortex
    TP Cost: TBC
    Sound a haunting howl with your weapon, increasing attack power and dealing slashing damage. Lengthens the target's cast times.

18: Obsess

20: Onion Cut
    Feign weakness and then attack, dealing slashing damage.

TBC?: Red Lotus II
    Call upon the power of the flame, increasing attack power and dealing fire damage.

22: Cover
    Come to the aid of another, positioning yourself between the target and an enemy to redirect damage to yourself instead.

24: Luminous Spire
    Imbue your blade with brilliance, dealing astral damage and reducing the targets magic defense, blinds other nearby enemies.

Note: You can keep using this weapon skill 3 times in a row and deal more damage each time because its reducing magic defense while dealing astral damage.

26: Cadence
    Controls the pace of combat, increasing the power of your next attack while in battle regimen mode.

Skills & Traits you buy with Marks:

Skills

Heavy Slash
    Attack with your sword, dealing slashing damage and increasing enmity

Heavy Stab
    Attack with your sword, dealing piercing damage and increasing enmity

Traits
    Self Preservation
    Increases the lenght of the guard ability by 50%

Swordsmanship
    Increases your affinity with gladiator based actions by 10, up to a maximum of 100

Mind over Matter
    Converts DEX +5 into MND +5

Asceticism
    Converts VIT +5 into PIE +5

Muscle Memory
    Converts STR +5 into INT +5

Mind over Matter II
    Converts DEX +10 into MND +10

Asceticism II
    Converts VIT +10 into PIE +10

Muscle Memory II
    Converts STR +10 into INT +10

Shield 1-10

10: Aegis Boon
    Cost is 75% of your Stamina Bar. Works in the same manner as Guard, however you absorb a % of each attack you block as HP.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Shield lv 14 (bought from marks I imagine)
    Sheild bash
    Slam an enemy with your shield, dealing blunt damage. May interrupt casts and temporary render the target unable to cast again for several seconds.
    Cast time 0
    recast time 30
    MP cost 0
    Tp cost 500

Shield lv 20
    Outmaneuver
    Strategize for survival, increasing defense against frontal attacks increasing TP generated by blocks.
    Cast time 0
    Recast time 60
    Mp cost 0
    TP cost 0

Shield Lv 30
    War Drum
    Create a clamor, increasing enmity.Cast time 0
    recast time 40
    mp cost 0
    TP cost 0

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Swordsmanship
    Increases your affinity with gladiator based actions by 10, up to a maximum of 100

Anyone know what that means?

Thanks for the clarification on the skills/traits swap ..

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I could be wrong, but I believe those traits (one for every mage/melee class) just enhance your otherwise gimped Gladiator abilities/actions when you set them on other classes. I don't know how much an ability from a different class is naturally nerfed down, but "100 affinity" sounds to me like you would get the full effect.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

^ exactly.
    Those traits enhance the effect when you cross-class abilities. Having Conjury affinity will make your Cure work better on Thaumaturge or any other job.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Updated. Will finish updating the other classes tomorrow.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

No differences between P3 and OB based on Gulk's list.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

For Glad I guess you should upper

STR VIT and DEX or some mnd too?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    For Glad I guess you should upper

STR VIT and DEX or some mnd too?
    Yes, this has been my approach to it. I'm going heavy str and vit, slightly reduced dex and minimal mnd until we start fighting stuff that has dangerous magic attacks (I haven't really encountered any at this point in Ul'dah).

Has anyone noticed any tricks to ranking up shield skill? I started at lvl 1 GLD with a shield but it is skilling so much more slowly than sword that it's really quite frustrating. I'm rank10 sword but only rank5 shield and I'm worried about having it fall too far behind and losing potential benefits or sitting at rank50 sword and rank25 shield and having to sit at sword cap and tediously skill up shield to match.

Edit: Also, has anyone heard of an explanation on what "Wield Rate" and "Blocking" stats determine/affect?

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I'm pretty sure they screwed up or intentionally lowered the rate shield levels up in Open Beta as I'm only rank 6 and I never seem to get above 200 shield skill per fight. The best way to level it though is to let a mob beat on you that isn't dangerous, and this works best during guildleves. It'd be much easier though to gauge how well your shield skill is going if they'd show us skill gains from blocks/parries again like in the beta.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Odds they will ever give GLD cure? Or will we have to level up Conjurer and put in 5000 guild marks to get that 100 affinity so it's worthwhile? As of now I had leveled Conj to level 2 just to get Cure and it's completely worthless at higher levels... at level 21 GLD taking the 8-9 seconds for the cure to go off just isn't worth the 117 hp I get back. Second Wind is my only life saver now if I am solo and with the recast you can't rely on it.

I know it's a new game but I can't help wanting GLD to be just like PLD in FFXI

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Glad gets cure from aegis boon, giving them HP for successful blocks. If you're asking if glad gets the actual "cure" spell, then they probably will not, since no job has any ability that outright mirrors another ability.

We'll have to see down the road if SE starts overlapping spells and abilities, but for right now, I like the idea of each job getting completely separate abilities, as it really stresses the whole multi-classing thing.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Anyone else annoyed that they cannot block mob weapons skills or ranged attacks?

SETTLE DOWN, DANZIG
    you canno see my sunglass

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ikarys Chevalier
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aratharn View Post
    I know it's a new game but I can't help wanting GLD to be just like PLD in FFXI
    Highly unlikely. Even as a Paladin in XI, your cure was never as effective as a white mage. So, rather than having to get some of the functionality in one job class, you will most likely have to do exactly what you said and level CON for an effective cure, then use guildmarks to buy up the potency to 100%. Ideally, however, this would result in a more effective curing tank than Paladin ever was, because you are devoting a significant amount of action / trait space and guild marks to curing functionality, rather than just taking what you can get from the job.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Can you get shield skill up without using Guard? or you have to guard to get skill ups?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Can you get shield skill up without using Guard? or you have to guard to get skill ups?
    I don't think I've seen a single shield skillup without using Guard. I don't want to say I'm 100% sure since I have my shield up more often than not, though.

Also, Cure sucking at 21 is more than expected. There's Cure II at 20.

Old Merits
    BG Level

No, but you can still occasionally block, however this generates sword skill not shield.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    No, but you can still occasionally block, however this generates sword skill not shield.
    Pretty sure that's parrying, not blocking. You get skill ups for whatever weapon you use to parry (sword, hand to hand, axe, etc).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast