1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 14 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Marauder     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Riposte View Post
    Should the level 10 axe (Bronze... labyrs or something) be this hard to find? Would it be better to find another high level axe instead?
    A NPC sells it for 40k

I've seen that, but is that a good deal?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Not a good deal, but the only deal. I don't see any being crafted around and main weapon really matters for DoW classes. Buy and use it till rank 20.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

No one really makes Bronze Labryses because the recipe is prohibitively expensive compared to any potential profit a crafter might get from it. You could save some money if you find/make all of the mats and bring them to a crafter friend, but I feel that the convenience of just getting it from the NPC far outweighs any potential gil savings.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

40k isn't a big deal. The only time you see people selling them is when they have reached lvl20 themselves and have bought the Spiked Bronze Labrys which is something Blacksmiths can make fairly easily.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Has anyone kept track of when they switched over to a new weapon when you were below the optimal rank? For example, I noticed using the Bronze Labrys from level 12-18 was the superior choice to the Spiked Bronze Labrys. At 18 MRD the Spiked Bronze Labrys (optimal rank 20), when equipped, started to outclass the level 12 bronze labrys. I partied with another MRD last night and he said at 24 the Iron Labrys (optimal rank 30) was outclassing the stats he had with Spiked Bronze Labrys (optimal 20). Has anyone kept track of this information and can confirm? I am on the verge of 23 MRD and haven't even thought about buying the Iron Labrys yet because I was guessing only around ~28 it would prove to optimal over the other axes in the 20s. If it becomes the best choice for attack and accuracy purposes at 24 I want to make sure I have it (and level my Blacksmith again to repair it ><).

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

I bought the R26 Axe at 20 and cursed buying it all the way to 26. The gear scales horribly. At R25 I was still missing 11ACC and about 17ATK, that was one rank below optimal rank. Now, I refuse to use a weapon for DoW prior to optimal rank. It's just not worth it. I watched my stats as I ranked up and on average I gained 1-2 ACC and 1-2 ATK each rank I gained closer to the optimal.

Spiked Bronze Labrys at optimal rank:

79ATK
    114ACC

Iron War Axe at R25, one rank below optimal:

80ATK
    108ACC

I was better off using the R20 axe until I hit R26. Now that I am R30, I will get the Iron Labrys. Which will lead me to rank up BSM to 20 so I can repair it myself.

From the gear I have seen and tried on, I was not impressed with the scaling of it. I can see doing it for the low ranks, but, about mid teens I would argue it would be harmful stat wise.

Though, I did see that jewelry seems to be harmed by the scaling less. For instance, you can equip Bronze Rings on a R1 class and still get the full ACC from it, but will be penalized 1DEF.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thanks (again!) for the response.

Anyone have tips for getting the most SP out of party play? I'm trying to figure out if there is some sort of "method" to get the most out of my sp gains. It seems mostly random, but if there are some elements that can increase overall sp gains that would be great. For example, disorient doesn't create that much hate, lowers the mobs evasion, and gives pretty nice skill ups in standard parties of 4-6 (70-100 on the mobs). In a party of 14 I was pulling 200++ on Disorient. Seems like a good move to at least use at the beginning of fights to help build tp. In the middle of fights it seems to fail more often depending on the mob.

My go to weapon skill has been Skull Sunder. 500 tp move and pulls 80-120 on standard mobs in a party of 6. It seems rare to pull sp from the WS, but its a nice gain when you do get it. I have had a ton of trouble finding a 2nd weapon skill to pair with it. Sometimes you hit that mob 4-5 times in a row and pull a ton of tp and skull sunder isn't reset. I'm thinking I should just wait on it always, but if there is any other weapon skill I should consider let me know. If it wasn't aoe like skull sunder probably the better.

Ferocity (lancer rank 6) + skull sunder nets some good damage and seems to get me larger sp gains when I get the bonus. It makes me think that my damage per hit might be somewhat related to sp output. Has anyone else noticed that? I wasn't using the combo for a while tonight and was getting 80-100 sp gains on my ws. I put that combo on and immediately net a 140 and 160. Maybe my luck just got better, but if anyone else has noticed anything please pitch in. Ill keep an eye on it myself.

EDIT: Also, Axe WS > Any other types of WS for sp gains. Starting to believe my idea of larger sp gains for damage as this current party goes and I'm closely monitoring gains. Front of mob hits were going 20-30, but the critical hits from behind with increased damage seemed to give 30-35 more often. It's hard to be fully accurate when I'm not ticking it off on a notepad or something, but just throwing out the observation for now.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

There isn't too much you can do that's different from what you've been describing. I do think that the more DMG you output = higher SP gain per hit as I definitely notice a difference when I fight something like crabs getting 15-30 SP (even in larger PT's of 6+) as compared to a duo fighting Dodo's where I'm hitting for over 100 each swing and getting 70-100SP. You can also notice this if you use Heavy Swing vs. Light Swing. Yes one takes more stamina bar, but not the point. You should notice that you get more consistent 30-50's w/ Heavy Swing as compared to 15-30's w/ Light Swing.

I'm personally noticing my accuracy issues right now in large parties so I'm working on getting GLD to 14 for Still Precision, because I definitely feel I'm missing out on a lot of potential SP when I miss 4-5 hits in a row.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Without even seeing your post I just went out and bought some gear to take my GLD to 14 as well. There just isn't "DPS" gear available for MRD (or any class for that matter) at the moment. I haven't paid attention to 40+ gear, but 24 through the early 30's it looks like there isn't any stand out DPS gear. To state the obvious, being in rank 20's is pretty low and there won't be much choice at lower levels. I pulled about 21k sp in about 3 hours in nanawa mines last night. Going through mobs quickly for 80-100 sp gains is fine (occasional 200-450 mobs), but I was hitting at a 60-65% rate it felt like. If I could bump that up to 75%, adding that many more hits and weapon skills through 3 hours, it might net me another 500-1k sp per hour.

I really want to try out tanking on my MRD. For certain mobs I think MRD can prove superior to a GLD. It probably takes a "buddy" to pull it off that can also take hate and take some hits, but if you think about all the abilities you can stack on MRD with the access to the heavy defense gear, it is definitely looks viable.

For example - make sure to have a solid VIT stat investment - passive parry bonus ability when you stand still, disorient generates a small amount of enmity, taunt/provoke are easy to get from PUG/GLD at level 10, defender is a MRD ability that nerfs your attack for defense bonus, Rampart is a GLD ability that ups your defense, Foresight can give you a quick parry bonus (probably too expensive to use with limited stamina bar). We can still deal some decent damage with our weapon and weapon skill to keep hate too.

I kind of played with a party that used this idea. A 5 man, R22-24?, party that went through antling diggers in nanawa mines. They bounced provoke/taunt back and forth on a pug/mrd/mrd and the party flow was pretty good for the limited time we played together. Mobs like an Eft you would still want a GLD probably, but some mobs can probably be duo tanked more efficiently than worrying about finding a GLD. Conj/Thm seem to always appreciate more people taking damage so their cures cover a larger range to help net more SP too.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I agree that MRD has some good potential for tanking but it hinges on Steadfast. Until SE fixes it so that you don't randomly drop out of steadfast simply through normal attacking or mob bump-back the class will never excel. Defender not generating additional emnity while dropping your dps and not getting the parry bonus to help reduce hate bleed and allowing fracture spam really hurts.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

When I got to 13 I got all "woohoo guild marks time" and now that I have some saved up I wonder, are any of them actually worth it? >.>

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    When I got to 13 I got all "woohoo guild marks time" and now that I have some saved up I wonder, are any of them actually worth it? >.>
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Get Heavy Swing and Intimidation when able.
    Heavy Swing is my main attack now, aside from Broad Swing when doing multiple mobs.
    Intimidation adds enmity and is always a bonus if you tank or plan to play GLA. Of course, the current party enmity is in need of tweaking.

The stat modifiers are "meh" for now until stats actually visually do more than add HP and MP. I am roughly 10k marks away from being able to purchase all the items available once I am higher rank to unlock them.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

-

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Marauder can tank just fine. And in many instances better than a Gladiator.
    The following skills help Marauder tank Incredibly Toughs:
    Provoke
    Taunt
    Warmonger
    Defender
    Rampart
    Foresight
    Featherfoot
    Second Wind
    Intimidation trait
    to a lesser extent, Sacrifice and Bloodbath+RagingStrike+Ferocity+WS

For one, Marauder has the potential for more HP than Gladiator. With high defense and an occasional parry, I've had no problems tanking. I get huge SP bonuses from Parry (300SP) and Provokes (100SP), so I'm not really missing out on SP. Mages love marauder tanks because we will take some damage which they can cure and get SP for, and we rarely ever die since our HP is so high.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Do you honestly use foresight and featherfoot or are you just listing those to make your list longer? You forgot jarring strike if you were being serious.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Seems like that list would rape your Stamina bar

Old Merits
    BG Level

Pft, not even the whole list... any two abilities listed there used one after the other would leave you with next to no stamina.

I don't mean to come across saying the MRD can't tank, far from it, but let's not overstate what can be done.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Yea, can't get too crazy with what we can actually add to the ability bar. Best to limit yourself to provoke/taunt as primary moves and everything else as secondary. When the party gets adds from all the aoe weapon skills going around it might be nice to hit something like Rampart/Defender, but it is hard to use all the moves with the limited stamina bar.

I'm saying MRD could easily tank mobs like Maidenbugs in Nanawa Mines. 22-26 party, I was rank 26, pug and I just bounced around provoke/taunt as needed. They are ladybug mobs that you'd rather have as much DPS mashing for quick sp anyway. Also, we handled the skeleton surprisingly well too. They take an hour to get their TP moves off so healers never have a problem healing you up. The feign death move also buys 10 seconds too.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Sorry for the double post, but some general recommendations for anyone out there from a 26 MRD:

- If you're only going to choose one craft to go with MRD - go with Blacksmith. Keeping your weapon while in a party keeps your damage and accuracy high to help you gain as much SP as possible. I notice the lack of accuracy kicking in when the weapon gets only dinged up by 30%. I'm a little compulsive about it, but if I lose out on .5k SP an hour from a poor weapon in a 3 hour party it starts to add up. I think you need 12+ BSM for the Bronze Labrys, 14+ for Spiked Bronze Labrys/Storm Axe, 20+ for Iron Axe/Labrys. Not sure on the Iron Spiked Labrys yet (and any axes beyond that).

--The only secondary craft I've liked so far is GSmith. The +Acc rings don't wear that quickly, but it's nice to do your own repairs on them and it's not hard to leve spam GSmith to the Brass Nugget/Brass Ring repairs for any lower level MRD just getting into the job.

- My favorite DPS setup is currently: Light Swing, Heavy Swing, Disorient, Ferocity, Still Precision, Skull Sunder, (Trammel), Last 3 are fillers right now. Generally I have Taunt/Provoke in there as "just in case" moves when it's a mob that you don't want sprinting to mages because of an AOE move or something. Depends on your preferences and if you have some extra abilities like Raging Strike or Sneak Attack which I'm looking into soon. I put (Trammel) that way because Skull Sunder is far superior obviously. On mobs that you're pulling easy TP you might want to toggle 2 500 TP moves to spam. Skull Sunder is always the preference, but whatever you want as a backup works too. Losing TP between the fights sucks so being able to have 2 moves to spam near the end of a mob's life is nice. I hate ending a fight with 700 tp because Skull Sunder wasn't ready again.

---Lead off every mob, before you swing your axe, with a Disorient. ~10-20% rate of pulling some decent SP (depends on the mobs you're playing and your rank at the time). Crabs/Efts/Diggers/Maidenbugs in the early/mid 20's were giving me 70-120 SP for Disorient. 200+ in a party of 14 on efts. It helps you (and everyone else) hit the mob and you get SP from it. I keep partying with MRD that aren't using it and it's starting to bug me. It has hot and cold stretches of several SP gains in a row or nothing at all, but I have always found it to be worth it in the long run.

--- Heavy Swing offers slightly more damage which equates to more SP per hit than Light Swing. I like to spam that as my general move. Get your 6k guild marks and get it.

--- For a board like this it probably isn't a problem, but the "subjobs" of FFXIV are getting the abilities off other jobs. I highly recommend getting Ferocity from LNC (pre 10 move, not very hard to get and you can farm some easy shards leveling other classes). Stack it on top of your WS for some extra damage to help hit some higher SP gains. Still Precision from 14 GLA is well worth it. 2 minute timer cooldown and 30 seconds of increased accuracy. I have been told to get Raging Strike (4 Archer I think) which acts like Ferocity. I didn't realize it worked for non-Archer classes. I also was told 16 PUG gets Sneak Attack. I have not gotten them, but I'm looking into it right now. If anyone has any insight on these please let me know.

--- Try to shy away from being the lowest level DPS. When forming a party purposely set the restraints so you shy towards the higher end and the mages/GLA aren't the highest levels. For example I was able to form a 22-26 party and I was the 26 MRD. You want to fight mobs you can reliably hit for good damage to maximize your SP gains. At 25 MRD the efts were a nightmare of 0-50 or 250+ SP gains. Leave those for a higher level. Obviously, something is better than nothing, but from 24-25 I was on the high end of Crabs in Cassy Hollow, but that helped me pull 150+ every fight. At 21 it was much tougher to pull consistent gains in there. At 26 MRD today I was the highest level in a Maidenbug party in Nanawa Mines. Easy 150+ on almost every mob, spamming my weapon skills every fight, pulled 10k in an hour.

I had some other points, but I'm running out of steam. If you have any recommendations for maximizing SP gains, useful abilities from other jobs that translate well for MRD, whatever, please help us out! I just want to keep discussion up so everyone can help each other get the most out of MRD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast