1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 41 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 41 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Marauder     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Your repair numbers are off by 2-4 at least. Not including gear. (Generally speaking the rule for NQ is 10 below level and with some gear you should never run into a problem)

Old Merits
    BG Level

That's a good post, Panda. I'm not sure that Blindside (sneak attack) is worth leveling PUG for. PUG may be useful for other abilities, but I wasn't able to notice a difference in damage when using Blindside and not using it on the same mob when the same conditions were met. It's very nice that it has no stamina or TP costs, but since I didn't see a change in damage I haven't been bothering with it.

I have a similar question. How important is it to pick up LNC abilities? I've taken all of the combat classes up to, and some over, rank 20 and on one hand I'm getting sick of low levels and soloing but on the other hand I don't want to keep pushing MRD up without key abilities/spells. I noticed you mentioned Ferocity and Trammel but not Invigorate, Comrade in Arms or Feint which are some of the abilities that, I'm guessing, would be most desirable to take cross-class. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Trammel isn't worth it on MRD unless you really want the grav, MRD has highest TP/dmg moves (Trammel is LNCs highest, but still lower dmg than skull sunder). Invigorate is nice when you begin using Feint on exp mobs, it costs same stam as SW/Bloodbath though (30s up with 1min recast, 200 TP a tic on lnc, dunno how often it tics but feels like 3s) and isn't worth it on lesser mobs where you gain high TP/hit.

CiA suffers from large stam cost like invig does, isn't 100% acc, requires 500 TP to use (which you won't always have at start of fights) and is a debuff, not a buff like Surges, so you have to apply it every mob.

Feint is a no-brainer, useful on pretty much every class. Suffers a bit of a damage decrease but it's even usable on DoM.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Does Heavy Swing replace Light Swing on your bar? Do you need an /equip macro to do so? Couldn't find these answers in here, thanks!

You have to equip it like any other ability. It is more like Broad Swing.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Trying to find information about Axemanship, not much out there.... What I did find said that it effects your affinity with MRD abilities on other classes. Is this right?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Yep, it makes MRD abilities more effective when used on other jobs. Doesn't do anything on MRD main.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Does DefenderII increase defense alot more than regular Defender?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    Does DefenderII increase defense alot more than regular Defender?
    Don't know, but why do you wanna know? You want to get it for GLA or so? I wouldn't bother getting r48 skill unless you're planning on getting MRD to 50 anyway, there's many other ways to make your char stronger.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
    Don't know, but why do you wanna know? You want to get it for GLA or so? I wouldn't bother getting r48 skill unless you're planning on getting MRD to 50 anyway, there's many other ways to make your char stronger.
    Yeah I have gla50 and mar36 now, obvs I plan to take it to 50 as well...but was wondering how different Defender2 is

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

So... how good of a tank does Marauder make for the instances?
    Currently leveling MRD and I want to try to assuming a tanking role. Obviously a beast of a tank for EXP groups but I'm wondering how the class fairs against other opponents. I'm guessing pretty much the only real important part should be being able to keep hate, which I don't imagine MRD should have too much trouble with, right?

Also, how's the parry rate like on the dungeon bosses? Pathetic, or half-decent?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've seen a few Marauders do a pretty impressive job at tanking Deepvoid Slave. I think the main difference between Gladiator and Marauder solo tanking on big bosses is primarily that Marauder might require curing shared between multiple mages to disperse curing enmity.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Pretty much one of thr major differences. You'll take more damage, but you can also counter-tank a lot. Jarring Strikes help make up a bit of the enmity lost due to longer provoke timer and fracture can inflict pacification to reduce some weapon skills. The latter works pretty well on world NMs, I've not given it a fair shake on DS or Batraal tbh. I'm sure some others can provide more information on this. Of course, you can do this on gladiator too, assuming you're running invig to get some TP to use.

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

We've found MRD to be the best choice for tanking instances.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

MRD has a higher base HP mod than GLA, can produce more enmity through damage than GLA, and can still use most of GLA's abilities. You lose out on a healthy amount of mitigation, as well as Aegis Boon, but if you or your group is comfortable with a GLA in an instance or on an NM, there's no reason not to try a MRD to see if you can improve your times.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

The better question would be what setup are MRD using to tank Darkhold?

I don't understand when people describe counter tanking when referring to MRD and PGL but I don't see how either are as good at it as GLA.

They need to wait for a parry/evade while a GLA only needs to "wait" for a shield block, which happens 90%+ of the time. On GLA I spam phalanx just as fast as the recast allows while taking little/no physical attack damage during Aegis boon and Deflection (~2/3s of the time) with outmaneuver(+optional sentinel) filling in the last 3rd. With Phal's additional enmity property I don't see how a MRD's damage, even if superior, could keep up with enmity generation. With GLA spamming a 250tp WS every 5 secs I don't even see how MRD could pull that much farther ahead in damage.

My MRD is only 26 (lvling for some abilities atm but I don't think I'll be taking it past 30) but between the frustration of Steadfast wearing because WS/ability/attack animations move my char 2 inches (0 manual movement on my part) and the fickle bitch that is parry I'm just not seeing the tanking efficiency, especially in the realm of damage taken.

Mind you I've got 0 real experience with end-game content (only 1 lvl 50, all solo) so it's likely that I'm missing something.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Well the thing is you can almost force an evade or parry with Featherfot and Foresight, so it's not as bad as waiting for something random to occur, it's pretty much guaranteed to happen sometime in the next 20s of firing those abilities. Foresight parries also do 0 damage.

I know but still, compare that to 90% it's kinda hard to see.

Also, just to reiterate because it's so goddamn annoying, fuck Steadfast -.-

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I would stretch my neck out as far to say that featherfoot and foresight force their respective procs around 80-90%. It's not like block where it will proc continuously, sure, but you can overlay they with stuff like diversion, decoy, gear, and traits to make counter-tanking extremely effective. Remember, jarring strike can stun and fracture inflicts pacification. Blocking does neither of those things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast