1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Marauder     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Very true, in retrospect it works out in a pretty balanced manner.

Not to give SE too much credit, but MRD/PGLs abilities compliment a higher damage dealt, more damage taken tanking approach that's feasible but not completely unbalanced when compared to the tank class. So far not a repeat of Utsupalooza.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    I would stretch my neck out as far to say that featherfoot and foresight force their respective procs around 80-90%. It's not like block where it will proc continuously, sure, but you can overlay they with stuff like diversion, decoy, gear, and traits to make counter-tanking extremely effective.
    Just use those abilities on GLA and you get the best of both worlds!

I've done both GLA and MRD and I prefer GLA for DH. I liked MRD slightly more for Ogre, having over 3k HP is nice. However for Batraal you can't beat the shield skills. Combined with featherfoot, foresight, and decoy, you barely even need a healer the first half the fight.

GLA better for training.
    MRD far more useful for taking down skeles in room before Batraal.

Basically either one can work, its just finding what you are comfortable with.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I'll second that on GLA invincibility that first part of the Batraal fight.

It's important to highlight, as has been. that there does appear to be decent balance between mrd and gla for tanking. Are jarring strike and fracture run in primary tanking builds or are they given up for more potent damage?

bongaru

I love the update to storm path.

User was infracted for this post.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

sorry to pump the thread but it seems the most fitting place. I played Marauder and fell in love with it during beta, got it to Lv33 and can not wait to get the Warrior job.

the thread as oppose to other classes seems very outdated and wondering if any lv50 warriors can shed a light on the class here. I have some of the question wondering if someone can answer:

1. what sort of path would you recommend, full STR , full DEX, mix of 2. (this is speaking on the allotments after leveling) ? as far as I noticed, the difference between critical hit and normal was big, but did not notice STR effect. if I get all dex/critical hit+ gear and dex, wouldnt this be the best choice ?
    2. looking at the warrior skills, there isnt much added. on the other hand, MRD get to use the following abilities: archer (raging strikes , hawk eye) LNC (feint, invograte, blood for blood). Pugilist (second wind, internal release). is it safe to assume MRD will be better DPS than warrior? while warrior remain as a secondary tank ?
    3. how close/far MRD-WAR from other DPS classes?

thanks in advance

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

1) Not sure why you're focusing on DEX... according to the manual, the best thing it does for MRD is improve parry rate. I did half STR half VIT, but I didn't really care that much since it's a trash beta character. Heck, it doesn't even look like it increases accuracy.
    DEX - Increases ranged attack power and the chance of blocking or parrying an attack.
    2) WAR is bred to be a tank, so its job skills revolve around that. Given equal everything else, you might be able to do more damage on MRD, but... I don't really think they intended for MRD to be a DD class, since it registers as a tank class in the limit break and dungeon finder.

3) I didn't do any comparisons, but I certainly didn't feel anywhere near as strong as the DD classes when running dungeons. The only place where I felt I shined (outside of tanking) was when I was overleveled for FATEs and I could just spam Overwhelm and hit 5+ monsters all at once.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I cant speak for anyone else but i did play a bunch on warrior during p3 beta so far.

1. I tend to stick to VIT>STR. playing through a new game with endgame mechanics for the most part unknown. I figure the extra HP/DEF from VIT cant hurt. Considering you will be tanking on MRD/WAR all the way up to cap.

2. I feel that WAR will out-damage MRD. With the extra abilities you are able to pull from the other classes on MRD you give up very powerful endgame gear and the WAR abilities. Even with Defiance up, WAR and its abilities seems to be centered around DPS tanking.

As stated above MRD is designed around it's Job and it's job is to tank.
    I believe WAR can pull from GLAD and PUG for abilities. Out of the abilities available they center around damage mitigation/tanking (healing stat buffs and defensive abilities as well as provoke and flash).

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I didn't do any comparisons, but I certainly didn't feel anywhere near as strong as the DD classes when running dungeons. The only place where I felt I shined (outside of tanking) was when I was overleveled for FATEs and I could just spam Overwhelm and hit 5+ monsters all at once.
    MRD/WAR isn't terrible at DPS solo but I could tell that it sacrificed stats/gear/abilities for survivability.

That said tanking Ifrit on WAR in the beta was pretty fun, total confidence booster.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I found WAR/MRD to be crazy powerful. I was frequently topping the parse as WAR tank. Then again, all my 1.0 gear is DPS focused. Perhaps when I switch to real tanking gear my DPS will go down.

The butcher's block combo is crazy powerful and creates a ton of enmity. Only issue is that youll likely run out of TP in long fights.

There hasn't been a game in history of games where VIT/Defense were ever important. The only problem in this situation is VIT being tied to HP; with so many HP+ abilities it may be worth it for that alone but that's also what gear is for. With the ease of melding materia and dungeon gear having materia slots I don't see any reason not to go with STR and correct it later via gear for situations where it is needed.

The Ifrit fight was pretty faceroll (as the Lv30 one was previously), there hasn't been much yet that really adds a challenge tanking wise but it is fairly clear that Warrior is far better at it thus far than Paladin. Whether or not that changes significantly later we'll have to see.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Also worth mentioning that VIT is strictly HP only (no defense), if the beta manual can be trusted. Since MRD tanks based on their damage, I'm inclined to say STR is the best option as well.

While we're on the topic though... did anyone use that Lv42 ability on anything worthwhile? The one where it blindsbinds you and your target for 6 seconds? Does that grant a lot of hate or something, because it sounds retarded.

I don't even have it on my bar.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I didn't use it at all -- way too situational -- but hey, at least you're not playing PLD!

Also worth mentioning that VIT is strictly HP only (no defense), if the beta manual can be trusted. Since MRD tanks based on their damage, I'm inclined to say STR is the best option as well.

While we're on the topic though... did anyone use that Lv42 ability on anything worthwhile? The one where it blinds you and your target for 6 seconds? Does that grant a lot of hate or something, because it sounds retarded.
    Does give quite a bit of HP though. My WAR had like 6500 HP in a light party. PLD only had around 4000? And no, the bind is pretty useless mostly, would be useful on stuff that likes to run around a lot (Magitek Armour did that, but you weren't even close to the right level to use it) but otherwise it sucks. Cool name though.

PLD and WAR have the sameish base HP.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Does give quite a bit of HP though. My WAR had like 6500 HP in a light party. PLD only had around 4000? And no, the bind is pretty useless mostly, would be useful on stuff that likes to run around a lot (Magitek Armour did that, but you weren't even close to the right level to use it) but otherwise it sucks. Cool name though.
    Seems like SE dribbled some of that hot PVP all up in PVE-land. I approve.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by mythrillboots View Post
    I cant speak for anyone else but i did play a bunch on warrior during p3 beta so far.

1. I tend to stick to VIT>STR. playing through a new game with endgame mechanics for the most part unknown. I figure the extra HP/DEF from VIT cant hurt. Considering you will be tanking on MRD/WAR all the way up to cap.

2. I feel that WAR will out-damage MRD. With the extra abilities you are able to pull from the other classes on MRD you give up very powerful endgame gear and the WAR abilities. Even with Defiance up, WAR and its abilities seems to be centered around DPS tanking.

As stated above MRD is designed around it's Job and it's job is to tank.
    I believe WAR can pull from GLAD and PUG for abilities. Out of the abilities available they center around damage mitigation/tanking (healing stat buffs and defensive abilities as well as provoke and flash).

MRD/WAR isn't terrible at DPS solo but I could tell that it sacrificed stats/gear/abilities for survivability.

That said tanking Ifrit on WAR in the beta was pretty fun, total confidence booster.
    thanks for the reply:

for 2, that was my worry. It was easily to assume for me at least that MRD will out DPS war based on the abilities alone, since defiance give you gradual critical hit increase of 2%, the MRD can access abilities that give straight up way more crit hit rate for example, the list goes on. but as you mentioned, it seems the end game gear will go towards WAR which will eventually by base DMG alone might make warrior a better DPS.

having said that, xivpad showed some new gear in 2.0 that are not translated as boxes, wonder if that means MRD will have access to high end gear as well.

and finaly for an after thought, anyone remember what Yoshida said about PVP if classes or jobs will be used?

While we're on the topic though... did anyone use that Lv42 ability on anything worthwhile? The one where it blinds you and your target for 6 seconds? Does that grant a lot of hate or something, because it sounds retarded.
    I read it as it actually BINDs the targets and you as well, which I find actually a good skill.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    And no, the bind is pretty useless mostly, would be useful on stuff that likes to run around a lot (Magitek Armour did that, but you weren't even close to the right level to use it) but otherwise it sucks. Cool name though.
    Oh, dang. When I read the description in-game, I thought it said BLIND, not BIND. That seems slightly more useful.

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Oh, dang. When I read the description in-game, I thought it said BLIND, not BIND. That seems slightly more useful.
    Read it the same way, makes more sense now.

I was wondering why people were writing it off as useless, could be a massive lifesaver in a lot of situations.

Would be invaluable on anything with a hate reset mechanic.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It could be usable in a hate reset situation (none exist in beta 3 thus far), but invaluable? If a cure, autoattack, or overzealous WS lands a split-second after the hate reset and you've bound yourself, you're going to need an Esuna. You can use Tomahawk, but at substantially lower enmity than if you were in your enmity combo at melee range. It's very situational.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast