1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 15 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 18 hours, 21 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Marauder     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post

That said, I fucking love Mrd in this game. I don't know about the end-game aspect of it, and I could really give two shits about it, but the class feels heavy and fun and brings the pain right now, and that's enough for me. I'll let the hardcores without jobs spend all their time lobbying and whining for .05% adjustments to their favorite classes against X or Y encounter. I'm just going to keep burying my axe and fists into opponents.
    Yeah Marauder is a beast, looks really awesome for people who wnjoy that type of class. So much AOE and power, plus it tanks through this, so cool. I'm enjoying THM CONJ and Glad a lot, and looking forward to Arcanist.

You would have got killed tanking on anything but Paladin or Monk in FFXI too (or Ninja, but ignoring due to complete damage avoidance not being the same as mitigation and HP). Then 2h update happened. Even XI, a terrible game by all rights and whose many successes were pure accidents forced into fruition by the players and not the dev team, had DPS tanks.

So while I get that in 2005 turtling up and never losing hate was cool, it's 2013 and that's boring as fuck and no one does that shit anymore.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I've seen MANY death knight tanks tank normal raids in DPS gear. They were in tank spec but were by no means using tank gear.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    You would have got killed tanking on anything but Paladin or Monk in FFXI too (or Ninja, but ignoring due to complete damage avoidance not being the same as mitigation and HP). Then 2h update happened. Even XI, a terrible game by all rights and whose many successes were pure accidents forced into fruition by the players and not the dev team, had DPS tanks.

So while I get that in 2005 turtling up and never losing hate was cool, it's 2013 and that's boring as fuck and no one does that shit anymore.
    I'm fine with all of this, but I wanted to make sure that the truth was known; WoW purposely did it because they wanted people grinding the right kind of gear for as long as possible, especially during early content where shit wasn't finished, so they needed to keep people locked up for as long as possible.

I, personally, have no problems with offensive tanks, and I absolutely adore the concept of a tank who can shrug off hits while giving back just as much as he gives. Bearing down and "overwhelming" the enemy was a ton of fight on Mrd, and even moreso when I could tell the Thm to let loose with the AOE because "I got this shit up front here."

Decided on MRD over this weekend. I love playing dps classes but MRD/Warrior just look badass and I want to try out tanking since I loved doing blood tanking in WoW during WoTLK.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Hellscream

I saw a lot of Mara's this weekend wearing leather gear when they could be wearing plate, so it seems like it's a hybrid class that might be able to tank. I had a lot of Lancer's tank for me this weekend, Mara's just seem so powerful and their abilities don't seem to suck as much as the archers abilities. I had three spells that were actually worth using.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    And which 2008-era endgame content were being DPS tanked without heavy use of utsu or Seigan Third Eye? (No, I am not referring to 2004 HNMs.) Your healer would quickly outpace your DPS' hate generation on any mob of significance you couldn't zerg down. Exactly when would NIN/DRK have been used in your account of XI history?

Churchill, you should really not talk about XI ever.

Did you consult with your Dominus before posting?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I am beginning to believe that your perceived level of knowledge on any given MMO is directly (inversely) proportional to the number of thread readers who actually played that MMO and can call you out on it. Because this is (at least) the second time that you've tried to pass off facerolling old content on a current-era character as representative of All History, only to be rebuked by people who were playing the game at the time.

Are you going to tell us next that ARC has always been a low-tier DD and that THM was never any good as a healer?

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Well come to I call you moron academy

WHY AM I NOT INCLUDED

I think the worst part is you are too dumb to realize that I'm talking about 2004 era blood tanking and very clearly transition to 2008 era DPS tanking. Everyone else got it, everyone else had the conversation about it. I never even claimed to play WoW in the era discussed because like my example, even XI (the worst of all games) moved away from such a bad system. So if you'd like to discuss the merits of DPS tanking or being a turtle who sits there and gets shit on, be my guest. I'm not going to hit the dorito like the rest of the pussies who ride the feeltrain but I will quote some jack ryan.

get off my plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Well come to I call you moron academy

WHY AM I NOT INCLUDED
    Yeah...

Yeah.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Damsyl View Post
    I saw a lot of Mara's this weekend wearing leather gear when they could be wearing plate, so it seems like it's a hybrid class that might be able to tank. I had a lot of Lancer's tank for me this weekend, Mara's just seem so powerful and their abilities don't seem to suck as much as the archers abilities. I had three spells that were actually worth using.
    I played with Marauder a little bit, but I don't think Marauder would be a DPS class alone. Almost every ability they have generates threat. If that players wants to be pure DPS, they'd be far better off as PGL or LNC. However I do think they'd be decent semi-dps, off tank for later stuff and thus far definitely capable of tanking 4 man dungeons.

Banned.

BG Level

The first post seems to be from old FFXIV?

that's cause an old thread got pumped

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lyn Tah'row
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I noticed (or think I did) that overpower seems to register its hit either once the animation starts or at least earlier than the animation implies. I thought for sure I just woke up a sleeping mob a few times since the sleep animation landed before overpower's but it didn't.

Anyone able to corroborate that?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'm pretty sure that all non-spell damage takes effect the instant the server registers that you hit the button, regardless of what the animation shows.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Wasn't the excuse for why cures don't take effect until the end of the animation that "the engine can't handle it any other way"?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

That's why I said "non-spell", but I honestly don't know. The way it their excuse was worded, I thought it only applied to spells.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast