1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 14 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 23 hours, 14 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Lancer     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Datonare View Post
    For belt, wouldn't velveteen longsash (red) be an option? Or is the peisteskin hunting belt good for its defensive purposes?
    We don't know what DEX does yet, but we do know that accuracy is basically useless at L50 for the stuff you fight at L50 (Ifrit, stronghold mobs).

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Critical hit rate! :3

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster View Post
    We don't know what DEX does yet, but we do know that accuracy is basically useless at L50 for the stuff you fight at L50 (Ifrit, stronghold mobs).
    That makes sense, thanks.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Critical hit rate! :3
    so true! I had crazy dex on my LNC back when stats were shared between classes (for my GSM.) Critting was so much fun, but probably not worth pumping over STR :/

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

We don't know what DEX does yet (exactly in terms of point-for-point contribution to derived stats). Crit rate against Ifrit with near-base DEX and no Blindsides tends to be around 3-7%, which is a pretty huge range.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

A nice summary there. Perhaps I have been underestimating Doomspike because it just hasn't really ever impressed me thanks to its low damage/TP ratio against most mobs (I can Moonrise twice and it'll easily beat a 3k DS). Against trash groups I tend to favour Skewer into Heavy Trammel spam as you can just fire them back to back and I assume it will give you more damage output unless the enemies die essentially instantly. HT also has the benefit of being a true AoE (or a cone?) rather than linear, which lets you hit multiple mobs much more easily.

Also, I never really noticed Doomspike benefiting more from buffs than other one-hit WS do, though I never really looked that closely at the numbers, so I could just be completely off here. If anything, Chaos Thrust seemed to benefit somewhat more but I assumed it's thanks to its multi-hit nature. How certain are you of damage buffs working as you suggest?

Against Ifrit you of course want to deliver your damage in as few animation locks as possible, which is when it shines more than in a pure tank & spank situation.

Ifrit's lolCudgel
    QQing is what I do best

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

What materia are you all putting in your LNC weapon? The big dilemma I have is Heaven's Fist (+attack) or Savage Might (+crit).

Justin Bieber
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justin Bieber
    FFXIV Server
    Masamune

I went with attack+ and STR+, and force crit with blindside.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Go with STR or ATK on the lance. Only place I'd use Crit is the body, but that's just me.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Super small sample size, etc. but from hitting 10 lvl 1 coblyns outside of Uldah with just a Hart Guisarme, damage was 640-703. With +19 str (2x garnet, 1x sunstone rings) It was 680-753. Taking the rings off, and adding cobalt mitt gauntlets with +22 atk, I did 656-699. Would need to test on some lvl 50s, but it looks like at a quick glance that STR increases maximum damage, where attack just deals more damage. I guess the question would be how much str is needed for your dmg to be capped with x amount of attack or whatever.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Datonare View Post
    Super small sample size, etc. but from hitting 10 lvl 1 coblyns outside of Uldah with just a Hart Guisarme, damage was 640-703. With +19 str (2x garnet, 1x sunstone rings) It was 680-753. Taking the rings off, and adding cobalt mitt gauntlets with +22 atk, I did 656-699. Would need to test on some lvl 50s, but it looks like at a quick glance that STR increases maximum damage, where attack just deals more damage. I guess the question would be how much str is needed for your dmg to be capped with x amount of attack or whatever.
    There could be some kind of cap/diminishing returns involved when fighting L1 mobs at L50. Perhaps ATK caps against the mobs DEF, or something? It's unfortunate that Yoshi-P has not been kind enough to provide us with the damage formulas.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Yeah, for sure. I wonder if 2.0 will have tooltips and such that give an indication on how all our stats affect us.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Anyone play with ATK vs STR vs PIE since the 1.20 patch? Downloading the parser now so I can look into this.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So tell me how baller drg is.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Chun Liroy View Post
    So tell me how baller drg is.
    On a scale of one to this guy, I'd say pretty baller.

Out of the melee classes, DRG has the most off-GCD abilities. Foundationally, it plays similarly to MNK (and WAR to a certain extent), in that you're looking to maximize the uptime of buffs and debuffs that increase your damage output (for DRG, it's Heavy Thrust and Disembowel). On top of that, depending on how encounters work, whether you have multiple DRGs in a party or raid, and whether changes are made to how DoT damage is calculated, you may need to maintain one or more DoTs as well.

The positional requirements of combos have been retained as a core mechanic, requiring hitting a target's flank or rear for certain combos/abilities. Throughout a fight you'll find yourself sliding from one position to the other (in addition to any ability/AoE-dodging you might need to perform). This is a lot more fluid in 2.0 than it was in 1.0 due to the engine actually being more responsive and the addition of target-circles that indicate a monster's flank and rear.

Playing solo, with or without the help of a chocobo, you should have a really easy time with things due to DRG's primary damage combo not having any positional requirements, along with a suite of tools like Life Surge (according to early reports from benchmark dats, it adds a 10% damage shield as well as forcing a crit), Keen Flurry (significant parry buff), Feint (slow debuff on target, subject to diminishing returns), and Leg Sweep/Spineshatter Dive (stun, subject to diminishing returns).

It's far too early to tell where DRG sits exactly on the totem pole, but as far as niche is concerned, the class and ability design points towards DRG having high single-target damage with some AoE options.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Awesome, thanks for the response!

Class is boring as fuck and sucks until it's level 50 and DRG. This is pmuch identical to 1.0 tho.