1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 1 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 21 hours, 1 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancer     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryunokage Argantes
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Khadgar

Quote Originally Posted by Jojimbo View Post
    Duration is cut, by about half I guess, and recast in 1min20 or so. It starts wearing when recast is up so you can keep it up all the time still.

The return is still the same, you absorb 20% (with some variation) of damage taken. I just tried it again while fighting dodos, was getting 15~20 mp/hit back (getting hit for 80~100)
    Cool stuff. Thanks for replying. Guess it's THM to 16 then.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    So lancers have no incapacitation effects for head...damnit. I want a skull eyepatch lol. Anyone done tests with skewer II to see what mobs it incapacitates?
    Dodos, Skeletons, Humanoids, to name a few.

Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    BG Level

I have my log filtered so I can see what I damage, but does it have any visible affect when you use skewer II and break something? Also do you have to hit from a certain side to target the limbs? I know the notes SE posted said it auto targets it but the arc I play with says he has to stand in front to pop heads off skeles.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by CrstyCptSteveWitherspoon View Post
    I have my log filtered so I can see what I damage, but does it have any visible affect when you use skewer II and break something? Also do you have to hit from a certain side to target the limbs? I know the notes SE posted said it auto targets it but the arc I play with says he has to stand in front to pop heads off skeles.
    Whenever you use Skewer II on a mob capable of having limbs damaged, it says "Blah blah Skewer II deals 298 points of damage to the Fat Dodo's legs.". When it breaks, you get an additional message commenting that the mob's legs have been incapacitated, and in some cases they do a staggering animation. Definitely no relation to where you're standing, I can stand at any angle or distance and Skewer II does damage to the legs of eligible mobs 100% of the time.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

According to a Japanese guy who I had a brief conversation with about polearms, the Iron Spear recipe is: Iron Spear Clasp, Iron Spearhead, Iron Spear Butt, Elm Spear Shaft, and Horn Glue. But he hasn't been able to find anyone who is of a high enough rank to make the Iron Spearhead. This recipe conflicts with a comment posted on ffxivpro, which states you need Wing Glue instead.

I still want to know what all entails making a tortoiseshell harpoon spearhead, no database ive seen shows the information. I know how to make the shells though at least and where to farm them.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster View Post
    According to a Japanese guy who I had a brief conversation with about polearms, the Iron Spear recipe is: Iron Spear Clasp, Iron Spearhead, Iron Spear Butt, Elm Spear Shaft, and Horn Glue. But he hasn't been able to find anyone who is of a high enough rank to make the Iron Spearhead. This recipe conflicts with a comment posted on ffxivpro, which states you need Wing Glue instead.
    I bought an Iron Spear from a JP player yesterday who swears it's Wing Glue as well.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah, it's Wing Glue. I just snagged one as well. I would've preferred an Iron Lance, but it's far more important just to finally upgrade that goddamn Brass Spear.

So Tortoise or Iron Lance if im able to find both? I notice Iron has 100% piercing dmg, not sure how big a factor that is yet. Tortoise has more hit and more crit and just 7 less attack though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

So Tortoise or Iron Lance if im able to find both? I notice Iron has 100% piercing dmg, not sure how big a factor that is yet. Tortoise has more hit and more crit and just 7 less attack though.
    The Iron Spear, Iron Lance, and Tortoiseshell Harpoon all have little trade offs between one another. The lance boasts the highest straight attack, but limits you entirely to piercing damage. The Tortoiseshell harpoon has the median in attack power, and trumps the other two in Acc/Crit/Parry/etc, but carries the 10% water trait (kind of a negative if you spend as much time fighting crabs as I seem to). The Iron Spear is the lowest on the attack totem pole (though only by 6 points), but still boasts better accuracy and parry than the Iron Lance, as well as the widest range of damage types on a single weapon.

Basically, shit is situational (as usual), I'd carry around all three if I had the chance and swap them out as the opportunity presented itself, but if I had to pick just one until the Iron Guisarme, I'd do the spear.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Is it really so situational, though? We don't have capped accuracy on anything worthwhile at this point so why wouldn't you just default to the weapon that gives the most acc?

Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    Is it really so situational, though? We don't have capped accuracy on anything worthwhile at this point so why wouldn't you just default to the weapon that gives the most acc?
    Yes and No, Feint is fucking awesome, so I really don't mind whiffing a few hits here and there, when it turns my missed 70-120dmg hit into a 300dmg hit.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Yes and No, Feint is fucking awesome, so I really don't mind whiffing a few hits here and there, when it turns my missed 70-120dmg hit into a 300dmg hit.
    This. Once you have Full Thrust to pair with everything else, Invig at the start of a fight + Full Thrust pretty much makes sure that accuracy and misses verge on being a non-issue. If you're missing so much that you can't keep enough TP to feint and do WSs, then I guess yeah, defaulting to the lance with the highest acc (in this case the Tortoiseshell Harpoon) would be the best bet, but so far I've yet to encounter that issue.

So no one knows what goes into making the Iron Lance spearhead and the lance itself? I can't even find anyone on my server making anything post BRass spear. I got a smith in LS who says he'll make me the parts, he just doesnt know the materials needed.

3 or 4 iron ingot iirc

Quote Originally Posted by fulgore View Post
    3 or 4 iron ingot iirc
    100% fact? If so, you're a life saver.

Kristenn's Kat
    BG Level

So has anyone leveled tham. to 18 to try the absorb spells on their lancer? I don't really want to level that up to 18 (not right now, at least), but guess I'd put the time in it if anyone's made particularly good use of it.

Also - the two mp restoring weapon skills on thm and conjurer. Is there any particular one that would be best suited to lancer? Do they have different mods or something? I finally got both of my casting jobs up to ten, but haven't had a chance to test those weapon skills out any.

Old Merits
    BG Level

afaik Radiance and Damnation will do similar damage on a neutral target (damn deals "dark" and rad deals "light").

And I wasn't very impressed by the absorb spells on THM tbh, they generally lasted 20s (with a long recast) and I didn't see much of a difference when using abs-atk/def. Some people say they are good, maybe it just varies with target/target level.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

All of the recipes for Iron Spear are on ffxiv.yg.com. I got mine synthed and a lvl 26 carpenter barely completed it all three times with the highest support.

You need

Iron Spearhead (requires pretty high Smithing, 28+)
    Iron Spear Butt
    Iron Spear Clasp
    Wing Glue (This sucks to get)
    Elm Spear Shaft

Edit: Changed Lance to Spear. Thanks Rokku.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I assume when you're saying Iron Lance what you actually mean is Iron Spear, since what you just posted is the recipe for it and not the Lance.

Also

We would like to notify you of the current major issues as of Oct. 20, 2010.

[Current Issues]
    - Using the Lancer's "Fleet of Foot" ability has no effect.
    Fucking knew it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast