1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 25 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancer     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Rough notes on LNC weaponskills based on observation:

R13 LNC (P17)
    Weathered Spear
    STR3:VIT1:DEX2 / STR:4:VIT:2:DEX3

vs. blue-con

Trammel: 120 dmg/500 TP = 0.24 dmg/TP
    Moonrise: 180 dmg/1000 TP = 0.18 dmg/TP
    Doomspike: 220 dmg/2000 TP (300 dmg/3000 TP) = .11 dmg/TP (.10 dmg/TP)

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Does anyone know mainly what type of equipment LNC should wear? Like leather or mail, that type of thing. Also what professions. I wasn't sure if i should make a armorer or blacksmith or woodworker for certain spears.

The Bloody Habanero
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I was curious about same thing but it's still open beta and too early for me. Gonna wait for official release when everything is out there to be made or obtained.

As far as weapons for LNC go I would look at the available recipes on here and other sites to determine what job makes what but again it's still early and there will be tons of new, up to date guides out once official game starts to answer all of this and give guidance, equipment lists, etc.

not to mention all your effort (gear, xp and craft lvls) is going to be lost after open beta reset.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

So I was originally going to do lancer first, as its obviously going to be my favorite class, what with the jumps and spears and whatnot, but given the weapon and armor situation since P1 of CB, I'll be doing my lancer -last- on my list of must-play jobs. With the current trend of absolutely no heavy armor available at early levels, it simply wouldn't be smart to devote so much effort into a job that I'll be struggling with due to lack of defense and quality weapons.

Meanwhile, mage equipment is rewarded and churned out through crafts at an astonishing rate, so I'll be starting as a conj first, and then thaum, and then will work on other physical jobs like glad on a gradual basis, working my way up to the jobs with the rarest of gear - maur and lancer.

Also, for people worrying about accuracy, just wait till you get fient at 20. Any missed attack turns into a stronger than normal attack for 250 tp, with 0% chance to miss, no matter what. I'm sure it'll be patched/nerfed at some point, but once you get feint, your character is essentially "missing attacks on purpose" to set the enemy up for an even bigger strike. Its hilarious, and works extremely well for any class that uses a 2-handed weapon for melee strikes.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Until alchemists and fishermen hit the 20s, it seems nigh impossible to manufacture a new spear, and without a new spear, the process of grinding past R15~ or so is excruciating.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Do we know if the buffing abilities (Comrade in Arms, Life Surge, Speed Surge) stack? Or if they did at some point.

Someone call Lucavi!

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

The effects that speed and life surge put on the monster stacked, but you could only have one of the abilities on you at a time. This means that for a couple seconds you could either have double HP drain or haste, drain, and life surge's mob effect, depending on what you switched to. It's kind of hard to explain.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I get how it works. Thanks for the info.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Do we know if the buffing abilities (Comrade in Arms, Life Surge, Speed Surge) stack? Or if they did at some point.

Someone call Lucavi!
    LUCAVI IS HERE~!!!

Chaos took care of it for me. Basically each surge puts a temporary debuff on the mob, kind of like drain samba. Each time the main lancer using that ability hits the mob, the effect refreshes. A single lancer cannot have two surges activated at the same time, but a single lancer can activate one surge, strike the mob to apply the debuff, then switch to another surge, strike the mob again, and for a limited time, have access to both debuffs. Eventually, however, one debuff would wear off, since the lancer no longer had that ability activated to continue reapplying the debuff.

Comrade in arms works differently. You simply throw out the ability, and it sticks on the mob. You don't reapply it when you hit them - its just there for a short amount of time.

Ridill
    BG Level

so what are you other Lancers doing? just chugging along with the lv1 polearm still? or waiting for crafters to finally be able to make the next one? I want to level Lancer more, but I don't really want to with the lv1 spear.
    Og course.. the second spear is already gimped for the level I'm at, and it'll probably be even longer till the next higher up spear is made.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I was trying to get a Harpoon made, but I can't find Linseed Oil to make the Maple Spear Shaft, or the Fish Glue to make the Bone harpoon Head. If I can find those, it's just a matter of finding the right crafter.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I've been trying to find a Harpoon as well, or have it crafted. Can't seem to find some of the components though, despite having the fish glue, and it's frustrating to start seeing a bunch of JPs running around with Harpoons and knowing that the autotranslate function (despite my best efforts) is far too lacking at this point to ask them if someone was selling them or if they can make them.

Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    BG Level

I've been making harpoons for two days now. I think I'm one of the few, or maybe the only on Melmond that makes. Oddly enough, after equiping it and using on my lancer, my SP gain is super low. I'm talking I don't get 200 a mob now. I get maybe 180 max, usually less than 100. The dmg and acc is way better, but I don't understand the SP gain. I'm getting 20-40 a hit, killing green + mobs, killing mobs with lots of hp(longer fights), mobs with less hp(shorter fights), and the gain is so slow I make no progress. Anyone else notice this? Maybe it's a harpoon glitch? Or SE's new SP gain?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    so what are you other Lancers doing? just chugging along with the lv1 polearm still? or waiting for crafters to finally be able to make the next one? I want to level Lancer more, but I don't really want to with the lv1 spear.
    Og course.. the second spear is already gimped for the level I'm at, and it'll probably be even longer till the next higher up spear is made.
    Lancer is going to be the last of the jobs I level that I actually want to play. I'm doing nothing but crafting and conj right now, beacause what all of you are doing is what I don't want to be doing: rolling around in the mud at level 15-20 with a level 1 weapon, little armor, and no clue where to go.

By the time I pick up my lancer and officially set it as my main, I'm going to be rich from crafting, have tons of gear for it (including weapons) to make the leveling process smooth, have an absurd amount of stat points for it through physical level, and have a multitude of skills to choose from in which to compliment it.

Yes, it means that I can't play my precious class from day 1, but that's why I Played the shit out of it from Alpha to P3 Beta. Lancer's best days were in Alpha anyway, when it had early access to all kinds of strong armor that wasn't mage cloth.

BG Level

I did lancer first, but crafting as a priority. Right now I'm wearing no gear that is level 1(currently 14). Harpoon, dodoskin jacket, sheepskin armguards, hempen kecks, sheepskin leggings. It's pretty easy if you band togther with a few other crafters.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

How are you consistently making Harpoons when it requires about 5 different crafts to make? I still can't find any Fish Glue.

BG Level

I have most of them leveled. And the ones I don't I have people in my ls make. 16 leather, 13 weaver, 12 alchemy, 10 gs.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

How do you get the fish to make the Fish Glue?

BG Level

Fisher in my ls does it. He supplies just to me whenever I need. Made like 24 harpoons the past 2 days and sell for 80k a pop. I've made all the 3 gathering class people in my ls enough gear where they get to harvest at a much faster rate with greater rewards. They've been throwing me kick backs and deals on stuff to level up crafting in return. I'm not a fisher or anything and know nothing about the classes or where they get what.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

There's been harpoons on Gysahl in like, every other bazaar for the last two days now. Talk about the floodgates being opened, managed to snag a couple for 40k when everyone else was selling them for 100k and made a pretty tidy profit bazaaring the extras for 75k.