1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 16 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -4 hours, -17 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 13 hours, 16 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Races     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Races

Elezen -Noble and Refined-

The Elezen are a traditionally nomadic people who in former times claimed sole dominion over Eorzea, their presence predating that of the other races. Believing this prominence to be ordained by the gods, they came to develop an esteemed sense of honor and pride.

Their characteristically tall, slim physiques and elongated limbs are part of a successful adaptation to the land’s various environments. Indeed, it is said that their highly sensitive ears can discern the squeak of a field mouse at a distance of up to several malms.

The Elezen perceived the immigration of the Hyur as tantamount to invasion, and as a result the two share a past plagued by warfare. At present, however, they can be seen coexisting peacefully, the exception being the reclusive Duskwight Elezen.

Wildwood Elezen
    For hundreds of years the Wildwood Elezen have lived in the safety of Eorzea’s lush forests. They possess an incredibly keen sense of sight — a contributing factor in their unparalleled expertise as archers. With the formation of the realm’s governments, many Wildwood ventured forth from the forests, drawn either to the exhilarating cosmopolitanism of the urban centers or the simple nomadism of the plains.

Duskwight Elezen
    The Duskwight Elezen have spent centuries in the peace and seclusion of Eorzea’s caves and caverns. They have developed an acute sense of hearing, capable of detecting the faintest of sounds. This natural gift, and the uncanny awareness it grants, has proven advantageous in the field of hand-to-hand combat. Many of the reclusive Duskwight resort to robbery and pillaging to survive, earning them the scorn of their woodland relatives.

Hyur -Diversity in Numbers-
    Boasting the largest population in Eorzea, the Hyur came from neighboring continents and islands in three great migratory waves. With them they brought a sophisticated technology and complex ethos tempered by the breadth of the outside world. They rapidly became a driving force behind cultural progress, and are now widely attributed with spearheading advances in Eorzean civilization.

One of the Hyur’s strengths is the staggering variety of languages and social institutions they exhibit. This is said to account for their firm conviction in individual freedoms, though it also results in a relative lack of solidarity and group cohesion.

Two distinct groups now exist among the Hyur-Highlanders, denizens of mountainous areas, and Midlanders, who reside in lower elevations.

Midland Hyur
    The Midlander clan comprises over half of the total population of Eorzea’s Hyur. They have established themselves throughout every city in the realm and lead lives as diverse as their heritage. Trained in letters from infancy, the Midlanders are generally more educated than many of the other races and clans.

Highland Hyur
    The Highlanders derive their name from a long tradition of inhabiting Eorzea’s mountainous regions. Compared to their Midland brethren, the Highlanders are noticeably larger in build. These days, it is rare to see Highlanders save for those who fled Ala Mhigo after its fall, and now work in the other city-states as mercenaries and sellswords.

Lalafell -More Clever by Half-
    The Lalafell were originally a group of agriculturalists inhabiting the fertile islands of the south seas. With the introduction of transmarine commerce, they soon found their way to Eorzea via trade routes. They are now one of the more populous races and are well established throughout the region, though they remain averse to cold climates.

The short, rotund builds of the Lalafell belie an incredible agility, and their seemingly feeble legs are capable of carrying them long distances over any terrain. Many among them are also known for possessing highly developed and cunning intellects.

The Lalafell place a great deal of significance on familial bonds, but are by no means unfriendly to outsiders. This is evidenced by the fact that they continue to share prosperous relations with all of the other races of Eorzea.

Plainsfolk
    The flat landscapes of the Plainsfolk’s home islands are dotted with the clan’s traditional thatched huts, beneath which lie intricate networks of underground passageways. Their distinct hair coloration — a myriad of earthy and grassy tones — mimics their native environment, and their long, pointy ears are said to be able to detect the faintest scampering of the prairie’s various fauna.

Dunesfolk
    Perhaps the most distinctive aspect of Dunesfolk culture is its traditional dwellings — structures affixed to the backs of large beasts of burden. The luminous eyes of the Dunesfolk are the result of a glossy, protective layer which covers the pupil, an evolutionary response to the glaring sunlight of their home region. Many individuals wear a small gemstone on their forehead, representing their zodiacal sign.

Miqo’te -A Tribe of One-
    During the Age of Endless Frost, as the seas turned to ice and passage over them became possible, Eorzea saw an influx of foreign fauna to her shores. This in turn brought the hunting tribes which subsisted upon them, the modern descendants of whom are today known as the Miqo’te.

Since then, the Miqo’te have diverged into two physically distinguishable groups — the diurnal Seekers of the Sun and the nocturnal Keepers of the Moon. Both groups share a superb olfactory sense and powerful leg musculature, results of a long evolution geared towards hunting and predation.

Comparatively few in number, they maintain an insular group mentality, tending to avoid contact with the other races. Many individuals lead isolated lifestyles, even when residing in the more populous cities.

Seekers of the Sun
    The self-proclaimed Seekers of the Sun are the diurnal clan of the Miqo’te race. Their preference for the warm light of day pervades all aspects of their culture, as is apparent in their devout reverence for Azeyma the Warden, goddess of the sun. They are perhaps known best for their striking eyes — the result of their vertically aligned pupils and faintly colored irises.

Keepers of the Moon
    The nocturnal among the Miqo’te have dubbed themselves the Keepers of the Moon. Shying from the garish light of day, they revel in the shroud of night, and offer their piety to Menphina the Lover, goddess of the moon. The custom of applying war paint to the face is still regularly practiced by the Keepers of the Moon, enhancing their already distinctive appearance.

Roegadyn -Size Matters-
    The Roegadyn are a maritime people whose largest concentrations are found in the northern seas, by way of which they came to Eorzea.

They possess enormous, muscular builds and are known for the cultural emphasis they place on competition and unflinching courage, though tender, introspective individuals can also be found. Roegadyn in and around the Limsa Lominsa area are typically seamen putting in at port, but many have also settled permanently, becoming mercenaries, bodyguards, or even pirates by trade. Far away, deep in the mountains of Ul’dah, live mountain clans of reclusive Roegadyn known as the Hellsguard, said to have mastered the magical arts.

Sea Wolves
    The Sea Wolves originally hail from the islands of the far north seas, where they still subsist as fishermen and women. Long ago, no vessel or coastal village was safe from their maritime brand of brutality. Now, it is not uncommon to see them employed as sailors or naval mercenaries on all manner of vessels.

Hellsguard
    The Hellsguard are a clan of Roegadyn with body and mind tempered by the unforgiving heat of the volcanic regions they inhabit. Believing these mountains of flame to be gates to the underworld, their line has for centuries stood vigil over them to prevent the passage of souls back to the realm of the living. Their sheer girth and steely demeanor open to the Hellsguard a wide range of paths, from the martial to the monastic.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

All the races now have different starting stats and elemental resistances.

Fire-Ice-Lightning-Water-Wind-Earth

Hyur Midlander:
    Str:16
    Vit:15
    Dex:14
    Int:16
    Mind:13
    Piety:16

16-13 -15-16-15-15

Hyur Highlander:
    Str:18
    Vit:17
    Dex:15
    Int:13
    Mind:15
    Piety:12
    15-16-18-13-14-14

Elezen Wildwood:
    Str:14
    Vit:13
    Dex:18
    Int:17
    Mind:12
    12-14-14-15-18-14

Elezen Duskwight:
    Str: 15
    Vit:14
    Int:18
    Piety:13
    14-16-15-16-12-17

Lalafell Plainsfolk:
    Str:13
    Vit:13
    Dex:17
    14-13-17-15-15-16

Lalafell Dunessfolk:
    Str:12
    Vit:12
    Mind:17
    Piety:18
    17-12-15-12-16-18

Miqo'te Sun Seeker:
    Str:16
    Vit:15
    Dex:17
    Int:13
    Mind:14
    Piety:15
    18-15-12-17-13-15

Miqo'te Moon Keeper:
    Str:13
    Vit:12
    Dex:16
    Int:14
    Mind:18
    Piety:17
    13-18-16-14-15-14

Roegadyn Sea Wolf:
    Str:17
    Vit:18
    Dex:13
    Int:12
    Mind:16
    Piety:14
    13-17-13-18-17-12

Roegadyn Hellsguard:
    Str:15
    Vit:16
    Dex:12
    Int:15
    Mind:17
    Piety:15
    18-14-14-15-16-13

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Whoever made this step up (because it wasn't me) so I can credit 'em:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...on/14Stats.jpg

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Without testing, it looks like Highlanders have the best melee stats, followed by Seawolves and then Seekers.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

At level 1, sure. Having points to throw around means that once again, it doesn't really matter what race you start with.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

But when ideal stat allocation is figured out (w/will prolly vary by certain end game mobs), some races / tribes will be better then others! Though I doubt like a 4piety, ect.. diff will make much of a diff in the end. Just affect lower lvs more. I'd be surprised if its like XI where even +1 to a stat is a significant gain

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Has anyone checked to see if the base MP is different between races? For example, starting out as Conjurer with Lalafell Dunesfolk vs. Elezen Dusk.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sirenia Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Quote Originally Posted by blmallesandra View Post
    Has anyone checked to see if the base MP is different between races? For example, starting out as Conjurer with Lalafell Dunesfolk vs. Elezen Dusk.
    I like to know this and any HP differences as well.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Just tested 2 races to see if they have same base HP/MP. Here are the results:

Race: Lalafell
    Clan: Dunesfolk Male
    Class: Conjurer
    Nameday: 13th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
    Guardian: Rhalgr
    HP: 293 (Level 1 Base)
    MP: 336 (Level 1 Base)

Race: Elezen
    Clan: Duskwight Female
    Class: Conjurer
    Nameday: 13th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
    Guardian: Rhalgr
    HP: 313 (Level 1 Base)
    MP: 315 (Level 1 Base)

Looks like I'm going to be a Lalafell

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

MND increases MP now. As does VIT for HP. Should just be the base stats of the clans that cause the base MP and HP to differ.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Aristio View Post
    MND increases MP now. As does VIT for HP. Should just be the base stats of the clans that cause the base MP and HP to differ.
    I believe you are right :D Just tested that and it seems that 1 MND = 10.5 MP for CON and THM. Not sure if that ratio changes as we get to higher levels though. Very interesting !

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    But when ideal stat allocation is figured out (w/will prolly vary by certain end game mobs), some races / tribes will be better then others! Though I doubt like a 4piety, ect.. diff will make much of a diff in the end. Just affect lower lvs more. I'd be surprised if its like XI where even +1 to a stat is a significant gain
    The differences won't even be as big as like 4piety, etc because once stats reach a certain point there's diminishing returns as to how much one point does to raise a stat. Like when STR hits 40 you have to start putting 2 points in STR to get up to 41, etc.
    Likely it'll end up being 1 or 0 point differences based on what you want. Starting stats mean jack shit.

I guess this is the correct place to ask this.
    Anyone knows what affects Magic Critical Hit rate? I assume PIE?

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

I believe piety effects magical accuracy, whereas I'm guessing INT would do for magical critical hit rate.