BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Equilibrium, I watched probably 20 some times while playing ffxi a couple years back.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

http://shitbusters.vaevictis.nl/scre...mdad/cover.jpg

I really need to watch this movie again.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    One of my all time favorites:

The Emperor's New Groove
    I don't know if it was underrated, but Emperor's New Groove is definitely the best non-Pixar movie Disney has made imo.

Old Merits
    BG Level

The 13th Warrior is a great movie. Ronin another great action movie.

Fired Up! has a certain charm to it, it's one of those movies where the cast members are all too old for the roles they play but it's just a good dumb movie.

Yeah, some movies you could watch once a year or every other year and enjoy them every time you watch them,

The Fifth Element, 12 Monkeys, The 13th Warrior, Ronin, PayBack, Big Trouble in Little China, Time Bandits, 8mm...

One movie I saw only once that left an impact on me for years is Kwaidan. If you have netflix check it out, I am. I saw it late, late one night or way too early in the morning perhaps and it was really good. 1964 Japanese film that's made up of 4 ghost stories.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe View Post
    The 13th Warrior is a great movie.
    I'll second this. Very underrated movie... This is one of those times that the book was terrible, but the movie was good.

Sagacious Sundi

Ron Howard's Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I took a hst in film class my junior year in high school, got to watch a lot of classics. Lawrence in Arabia, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Ben-Hur. I don't guess they're under rated, as he told us they were ground breaking. But still, I love a lot of the older movies. A good chunk of modern movies are nothing more than mindless violence.

Really hard to get people to watch The Good, The Bad, The Ugly when it's one of the better movies ever, same with Seven Samurai or anything by Akira Kurosawa (Battle Fortress, Sanjuro, Yojimbo... etc etc)

Primal Fear with Richard Gere and Ed Norton is amazing and maybe 2 people I've met have ever seen it, let alone heard of it.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

I dunno why, but for some reason after high school I cannot find people who like this movie that I encounter.

http://dietrichthrall.files.wordpres...udge_dredd.jpg

Prolly a comic book thing but I just love this movie.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Judge Dredd is awesome which made it even cooler the first time I was looking at LBP DLC and found this:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/dggrjb.jpg

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Viq View Post
    Not watching b&w is more offensive. M, Metropolis, Passion of Joan of Arc, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Raging Bull, Rashomon... holy shit the best movies of all time are b&w. Btw, just quoting this for the b&w reference, not as a knock on Tellahh. If he likes Kurosawa, then he obviously doesn't have a problem with b&w.
    Trust me, I looove b&w movies. What I meant was, that people usually have a stigma now that b&w movies just aren't good without color or graphics, same BS the guy was talking about his friend not watching 80s~ action films but loving 2000+ ones, pure hypocrites.

What I think makes b&w movies so good is, because they had so little to work off of "graphics" they had to really focus on framing shots/scenery and creating deep/meaningful dialogue to make it more powerfull.. 20,000x more important to a movie IMHO. Btw, I've seen that Passion of Joan of Arc movie.. was a couple of years ago on TCM (seen it more then once since on same channel, they play it on Easter Sunday almost like clockwork). The shots of her on the stake being interrogated by the church were so sorrowful I was moved to tears.. that in itself from being a silent movie with pure text set to music/face shots is just too amazing.

Speaking of sorrowful scenes.. in Sansho The Bailiff, when the main character's sister is committing suicide in the lake set to that sad song.. fuck.. I'm done for haha, it didn't help in the movie after all the shit they've been through.. then that happens, I baw'd so hard first time I saw that;;;;. That's why I love b&w I guess heh, the story just envelops you and immerses you in their situation because the directors cared that much about it to do so. You're hard pressed to find that kind of dedication from a director now with all their obsessions on graphics/product placement/box office ratings..

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Serial Mom

original Halloween 1/2

Excalibur

The Prophecy

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kwijiboe View Post
    I keep running into younger people that refuse to watch movies pre-1995 because the special effects or culture of that time are different/subpar. Old friend of mine refused to watch terminator 2 and the die hard. Refused to watch fifth element too
    That's horrible.. most of those movies are amazing because they didn't have the option to use a mass amount of visual effects. Everything was done with detailed costumes and stuff. The first remake of John Carpenters the thing was amazing, shit looks realistic. The fifth element is one of my favorite movies, and I know I've watched die hard at least 20+ times because it'd just be on tv and I'd just sit down and never get up.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    People like to hate on The Chronicles of Riddick, but I think it's one of the most original sci-fi/fantasy movies out there. Or the setting of it is anyway.
    Pitch Black was fuckwin, Riddick was meh but not terrible. Alexa Davalos can make anything watchable.

I liked Pitch Black more than Riddick, had some awesome scenes in it. And another +1 to Payback, god I love that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    That's horrible.. most of those movies are amazing because they didn't have the option to use a mass amount of visual effects. Everything was done with detailed costumes and stuff. The first remake of John Carpenters the thing was amazing, shit looks realistic. The fifth element is one of my favorite movies, and I know I've watched die hard at least 20+ times because it'd just be on tv and I'd just sit down and never get up.
    Remember when Stop-Motion animation was high-tech?
    I love those little AT-ATs in the good Star Wars movies.

+1 to Fifth Element. Perfect popcorn movie.
    Die Hard is just awesome, as is The Thing.

Tempted to say the Evil Dead series since practically no-one I know has seen them but I'd best most of us have seen it and know how awesome they are.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by six26 View Post
    Serial Mom

original Halloween 1/2

Excalibur

The Prophecy

John Boorman's Excalibur. no other King Arther movie has touched it since.

I don't care if you can ses a guys watch and the hose feeding merlins staff when he makes the purdy fire!

And before I forget it I remember this from a kid and LOVE it

Explorers - river phoenix and ethan hawke and jason presson when they were like 12 lol

Also not thats it is unjustly underrated but Dark Planet...
    Holy shit man, 80% of the people on the forum could make better special effects with MS paint...

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    Pitch Black was fuckwin, Riddick was meh but not terrible. Alexa Davalos can make anything watchable.
    Agree 100%.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast