+ Reply to Thread
    Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Opinions on new cell phone

I was thinking of getting a new cell, my current phone was old 5 years ago. I don't really care about browsing the web, I just want messenger services, MP3's, nice battery life, a nice system for storing contacts and a decent interface. I don't need a huge screen, but something that's a little nicer than my current phone would be cool. Nothing that requires a huge plan attached to it, I don't want to spend over 100 a month for services I'll never use. I'm not a phone guy, so I really don't know what I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I don't have any specific models in mind for you, but as a starting point I'd check out a few phone-review sites and see what's available for your current carrier, unless you're looking to switch anyway. The good part about this is you'll see what's available to you, get an idea of prices for the feature-set you're looking at as well as see reviews at once.

http://www.myrateplan.com/cellphones/
    http://www.mobiledia.com/
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/home.php

I was just in a similar situation as you and found sites like these invaluable.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Great. Another Apple bashing thread.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Well, I wouldn't say that. The ip4 has unbelievable battery life and is very small with a great screen.

The service isn't cheap though.

You can get pretty damn good deals though boost/walmart/virgin iirc. Like, $60 a month for the works, no contract.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmtung View Post
    Great. Another Apple bashing thread.
    I'll bash apple for their half the products, because they're worthless, iPhone isn't one of them, that's all on ATT.

DAKPluto

Honestly, any of the smartphones are pretty much gonna cover all your needs. Your MP3 and screen desires would seem to drive you into the iPhone or HTC droid markets though. In all honestly, hype of the phones aside, sounds like you would just be off shopping the service first, and their smartphone offerings 2nd.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

If you're a visualphile Ip4 has the best resolution while the droid x and Evo have the largest screen.

If you want the phone to be visible in sunlight the Galaxy S is what you want since it has a Super Amoled.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Galaxy S is actually worse in direct sunlight then a LCD, it's just better then your standard AMOLED display.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I havn't heard 1 bad thing about the droid x from my friend who has it, but my next door neighbor swears by his iPhone. I'm an android guy myself though.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Most of the smart phones require a data plan, and I just don't care enough about them to bother. After looking at a bunch of options I'm thinking the Samsung Impression might be the path I take. Anyone had any experience with this phone? Any problems?

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by kareface View Post
    Most of the smart phones require a data plan, and I just don't care enough about them to bother. After looking at a bunch of options I'm thinking the Samsung Impression might be the path I take. Anyone had any experience with this phone? Any problems?
    Samsung Impression is what I have had for the past year. It's a nice phone but there are some issues. The QWERTY keyboard has a very slow response time, the touchscreen keyboard is iffy if you got fat fingers/thumbs, and the screen and keyboard connectors are poorly designed making it very wobbly if the keyboard is slid open.

My biggest gripe with the phone happens if you text in moderate amounts or a lot. Randomly the phone will stop sending and receiving texts and the only way to fix the issue is to reboot your phone. Samsung and ATT has known about this glitch for a long time and Samsung has done nothing to fix this problem.

It is a trooper tho, that's for sure. I've dropped my phone countless times and it keeps on working other than the issues that were previously mentioned.

edit: the nice thing about it tho is that it does support cabled Tethering (if you have a data plan) if you need internet access for your laptop in a wifi-less area.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Do you have any suggestions? I text moderately often, I don't know if that one sounds like a great option with that problem.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Sony Ericsson Walkman line... it's a tad (very) olde but it does pretty much what you said you wanted.

Interface is good, the battery last a week or two if you don't call much, MP3 are about as good as it can get on a cellphone

Sorry, maybe I'm not helpful but that's all I could think of :<

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

How is it for texting? I tend to do a lot of that.

http://www.gadgetspriceindia.com/wp-...ssic-phone.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6700_classic

Had that phone for more than a year before buying an iPhone 4 recently...and I was very pleased with it. It's great for MP3s, has a decent (5MP) camera, it's easy and fast to text with it (if you're used to Nokia's system...which I still think is the best), battery life is more than sufficient also...and it has the possibility to tether and/or surf the web with HDSPA. The interface is typical Nokia stuff and the contact storing is very easy via the software that comes along. Same goes for text message backups!

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

As it happens, my roommate had a spare cell I'm trying out. It's an LG vu, it has all the major features I'm looking for. However, the MSN and AIM clients keep returning the error message: "System Msg: Failed to Send." Is this AT&T? Or the phone?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

requires data plan for AIM/MSN in which you don't have.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko View Post
    requires data plan for AIM/MSN in which you don't have.
    I don't think it does, the built in software works, and sends messages. I've looked around and most people who own the phone said that if you have unlimited texting, which I have, you can use the built in clients for MSN, AIM and Yahoo w/o using data. My problem is it's randomly generating errors when I try and send messages. From what I've read so far it just seems to happen with some of the LQ phones, and I haven't found a fix. I'm looking at a modding site now to see if they have any insight.