Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magic: Critical Hit Rate     submit to reddit submit to twitter

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Magic: Critical Hit Rate

Magic Crit Rate...
    I realize there are a few items in the game that have it naturally, or through some means or fashion can have it augmented. I'm just wondering if someone has really tested out these items and have had results. I'm torn weather to use the addon equipment to further my Cor(QD)or my Sch. This being said Magic Crit hit responses arn't limited to DMG. Please include anything about your findings, the more detailed the better.

For anyone who sees a wall of text:

-Magic Crit Rate :
    *Have you seen results pro/con?
    *How much did you have added when you did or didn't see results.
    *Does it work for the COR job ability 'Quick Draw'?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

...because looking it up is so hard.

its unreliable in the long run magic atk bonus or INT in the slots that currently can have magic critical are better, i augmented my moogle hat with it, it make me happy 10% of the time lol but its eh in the long run, unless SE makes magic able to naturally critical or a job trait its nothing worth pursuing in my opinion

hope this helps

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Parriah View Post
    *How much did you have added when you did or didn't see results.
    Why would you expect added damage when if there are no results (Incidents?)?

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    ...because looking it up is so hard.
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ma...tical_Hit_Rate
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ta...tical_Hit_Rate

No not really, still have yet to find what I'm after.
    --------
    Yugl : "Why would you expect added damage when if there are no results (Incidents?)?"

I think you might be thinking more along the lines of MAB. What I'm looking for is different.

Let's say you have M.Cit hit rate +10% :
    Does this mean
    -DAMAGE 'spells' only?!?
    -Works with 'cure' ?
    What am I getting at is this... if you had a 10% increase were you using Nuke/Cure/QD(if it works with it) how many times did you notice an increase? Was it random AKA your damage had a RANGE vs a consistant value. Example of this:
    Consistant:
    Thundershot : Mob-A = 999Dmg ::: 100 shots fired 100% of shots did 999 DMG. +0 Mcrit.
    Thundershot : Mob-A = 999Dmg, 1111Dmg ::: 100 shots fired 10 of them did 1111 Dmg. {{Perhaps only 950 dmg cause of different equip in slot}}
    Range:
    Thundershot : Mob-A 900-1000DMG = Impossible to procure a precise calculation of the frequency or occurance of the 10% 'possible' increase.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63710

You're looking for someone to tell you to use it or not to use it?

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

No, your question was ambiguous as to whether it referred to added Magic Critical Rate or added damage. I assumed the latter after reading your first question, but apparently you meant to say the former.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

In terms of rate, I think you're over-complicating it. Prior to the gear, it can be assumed everyone had +0% Magic Crit Hit Rate, so it never occurred. Gear which gives +10% say will therefore give a 10% chance each time you use a spell which can critical, so out of every 10 spells, you can expect 1 proc. Of course, this will vary since it's RANDOM, but there's no reason to think that there would be a 'range' to it.

Furthermore, search harder:
    -Works with 'cure' ?
    It was posted in another thread that it's been tested and no, Magic Critical Hit Rate +X% does NOT work on cures (makes sense since a "Crit" on magic is MAB+10 roughly from testing done, which would not have any effect on cure).
    By that logic, it should work on QDs since MAB increases QD damage.

Finally, just to end this right here, that means a piece with say MagicCritHitRate+20% is approximately the same as 0.2*10 = 2 MAB. Etc...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kegsay View Post
    Finally, just to end this right here, that means a piece with say MagicCritHitRate+20% is approximately the same as 0.2*10 = 2 MAB. Etc...
    Unless you have Magic Critical Hit Rate Damage+ Pieces like Shantotto legs, right?

Actually, isn't wiki wrong on the MCrit page? It makes it sound like equipping Shantotto legs with the MCrit damage+% will give you MCrit. I seem to remember it just increases the total damage of your MCrits by 10%. That works out to a larger bonus than the original MCrit.

It's possible to "build" for MCrit, but it requires you use your Shantotto Augment for MCrit damage and probably isn't worth it with the new options added in the last update. However, if you notice, the Demon Rings and stuff have MCrit Damage+ on them. If it works the same way as I vaguely remember the Shantotto pants working, you could keep MCrit alive if you got some nice rings.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm reminded of a blm I recently saw that had 4-6 pieces of "Magic crit damage +" gear; but no actual gear that gave him magic crits.

Nukes have always been very consistent and i'd rather improve the damage for the 90+% of the time rather then make that 10% of the time do slightly more. Best to look at the "what do you have to sacrifice from normal nukes to improve your crit rate/damage". Gear options vary from player to player so you have to look at your situation and make that choice yourself.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

By that logic, it should work on QDs since MAB increases QD damage.

Normally I'd agree with you, however this is SE were talking about, thus 'logic' NORMALLY is thrown out the window.

Here is an example of how I'm torn for my Cor on this matter:
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...or_Tassets.pngVS http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...enaliKecks.png
    "Magic Attack Bonus"+4 & Magic Critical Hit damage +10%

End results are: (It is presumed that 2 AGI is equivalent to 1 point of Magic Accuracy.)

MAB-4 + MCB-10% : MAB-5
    VS
    MAB-3 + MAC-4.5

Situational use 'Quck Draw' on 'End Game' fights. What I'm looking at here is what would give me the best BANG. I can imagine that after a certain amount MAC adding more becomes futile for QD just as a Blm needs to juggle:
    Int, MAB, Ele skill.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

As a point of reference, Magic Crit Rate +1 averages out to 0.1 MAB over time.

On top of that, it is random. Inconsistency is usually an undesirable trait in FFXI.

The one plus side is that you will occasionally get screenshottable nuke damage to post on your linkshell forum.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

But what does Magic Critical Hit Damage +% do?

It adds an amount of MAB designated by the +X number.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm one of the worst at understanding the math behind weaponskills and multipliers and what-not... but I don't get what is confusing about "magical critical hit rate" and "magical critical hit damage."

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I'm one of the worst at understanding the math behind weaponskills and multipliers and what-not... but I don't get what is confusing about "magical critical hit rate" and "magical critical hit damage."
    The option were:
    1) Magical Critical Hit Damage +% adds a percentage increase in damage separate from all other bonuses onto the MCrit.
    2) Magical Critical Hit Damage +% adds MAB equal to the percentage.

Apparently it's the second option, which is dramatically worse. So, if you're using the Shantotto pants with the MCrit Damage+10%, you'll get +20MAB on MCrits. Using the 2INT = 1MAB thing, Wise Strap would be worth 1.2 INT average. The MCrit Rate+10% hat would give 2 MAB average, effectively making it as good as (but less consistent then) the alternative augment. If it was #1, they'd both be worth using.

However, I wouldn't waste my augments on them for COR unless you have literally nothing else to get.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Parriah View Post
    Situational use 'Quck Draw' on 'End Game' fights. What I'm looking at here is what would give me the best BANG. I can imagine that after a certain amount MAC adding more becomes futile for QD just as a Blm needs to juggle:Int, MAB, Ele skill.
    I have never had a M.Crit proc on one of my QD shots ever.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderlips View Post
    I have never had a M.Crit proc on one of my QD shots ever.
    Quick Draw is a very odd ability to begin with. It has some properties that allow it's accuracy (resist) and damage to be enhanced by magical enhancements (See: Corsair Rolls, Magic Attack Bonus trait, Memento Mori, etc.) In addition, it's damage can be enhanced by physical enhancements (Gun base damage.) Not everything will probably enhance Quick Draw but it's very hard to tell because of how Magic Critical Hit Rate works.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
    Quick Draw is a very odd ability to begin with. It has some properties that allow it's accuracy (resist) and damage to be enhanced by magical enhancements (See: Corsair Rolls, Magic Attack Bonus trait, Memento Mori, etc.) In addition, it's damage can be enhanced by physical enhancements (Gun base damage.) Not everything will probably enhance Quick Draw but it's very hard to tell because of how Magic Critical Hit Rate works.
    From the number of QD shots I have used with my Wise Strap equipped, I will have to say that no M.Crit does not proc on QD at all.