+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 82 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast

Thread: DOTA 2: Thanks volvo     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If this was the price for Trump, I'd gladly pay it again.

I was not exaggerating. The misery of going through my day where all I was looking forward to winning some DotA games only to get home but only get a bunch of losses while Peruvians spam "calla de perra, ctm mierda :v :v :v" after picking a 5th farming core was insufferable.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also, if I won the lottery MY life would get better under Trump probably. The wealth would insulate me from fallout.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I haven't played yet, but my brother is still getting south americans in most US east games, albeit less of them. Biggest difference is queue times are much longer, and there are russians mixed in again lol.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've been playing US-W and haven't run into any there since the change. I played one single game in US-E after the change thinking I was safe and it was a disaster.

I had a Peruvian Storm in mid who marked mid right away but didn't pick hero till the last second end of the gold penalty (right before random would be forced). After this mystery mark in mid, I marked Morph safe. Next comes a Void (English speaker) picked for offlane and an Axe (new smurf account didn't communicate all game) pick for jungle (not marks, actual picks).

A Bolivian at 2.7k MMR (I am 4k), picks WR and marks over Void in offlane. Void is upset but he even buys the courier for the team while I'm stuck soloing the safe lane because support is as foreign a concept as they are to the server.

Void and WR get first blood but WR flames him for something in lane (last hits probably). Starts spamming "Report trash Void calla perra." As the game progresses, Storm and WR start talking more with the other team in all chat about how their teammates suck (their South American Jugg MK and LC are all flaming one another while WR and Storm and flaming Void). Any time Void dies, WR all chat flames him in Spanish and asks for reports.

My friends in Sweden say its constantly games with Russians now and they are queueing in US-E where the whole team is EU but playing with high ping to avoid Russia.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Athelisia Lumi
    FFXIV Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    On a wicked winstreak, getting nothing but English speakers. I check patchnotes

The only way my life could be better right now is if they reset the FFXI servers back to before Abyssea existed. Literally not even winning the lottery could have as much positive impact on the quality of my average day.
    ;__; I wish this was as good for me as it is for you.

Live in the UK and 8/10 matches are all Russians.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    ;__; I wish this was as good for me as it is for you.

Live in the UK and 8/10 matches are all Russians.
    Now you know what life was like on US-E every single match. Except instead of "cyka bylat", it was "ctm mierda calla de perra, espanol por favor"

Yes the Peruvians demanded we speak Spanish on US servers

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

LoL killing (other) eSports.

Wings Gaming's CEO took 40% of the TI6 earnings (they were nobodies when they were signed so the rake was huge) to invest in an LoL team. It flopped and now he sold the DotA roster to cover the losses.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

hahahaha what a fucking moron

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So is there a good guide for LOL players coming over to DOTA 2?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Here's one that gives you suggestions on what heroes to try depending on what champs you're used to: https://www.dotabuff.com/learn/lol

Here's the primer to help you with broad concepts of the game. The guide is outdated a bit since it was written pre 7.00, but read more of the concepts: https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/

And there's an in game guide for all the heroes (on the current patch 7.05 or the previous patch - 7.04) made by a community member, Torte de Lini. These guides are actually built into the game. https://steamcommunity.com/id/082577...&numperpage=30

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

think i saw something over the past year on the dota 2 reddit. dota got a gigantic update so make sure it's a recent guide.

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Well now... http://blog.dota2.com/2017/04/matchmaking-update/
    They launched solo ranked matchmaking. And you can only play ranked if your account is linked to a phone number like CS:GO. RIP account selling market.

And RIP Peruvians who don't have cell phones to link their accounts. Valve making US-East great again.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    So is there a good guide for LOL players coming over to DOTA 2?
    It's been nearly a decade since I played LoL, so I'm not really knowledgeable as to how LoL as it is right now compares to DotA, but I can answer specific questions if you have them.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that generally as a rule, DotA revolves around the top of the player base and/or being self sufficient. That is becoming less true as time goes on, but if you ever encounter something that you consider arbitrary and unnatural, it's that way because DotA prides itself on what Morello would call "burdens of knowledge." Also balance isn't about making sure a hero is fun, it's about if a hero is fun to play (even if it makes everyone else miserable). So you will encounter (and die to) a lot of things you just won't understand until you know every hero, every item, and every interaction.

BG Level

Bump for TI7. Prize pool sitting at $23.3M, winner netting in excess of $10M.

First group stage games start at 12pm ET. Competition is going to be really close with only a handful of front runners (EG, OG, VP, LGD) and a lot of capable dark horses.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hope you like paying with a sub

http://www.dota2.com/plus#Dota2

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Maybe I'm missing something, but that is just a bunch of stupid shit like emotes, badges, and extra stat tracking?

The only gameplay related thing I see is entry to some kind of tournament.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They are monetizing the chat wheel because it was the most popular thing from TI and Valve will take any opportunity to rake in Hat-esque cash. But everything is strictly pointless "achievements" from what I can see... the achievements then give points which you redeem for hats, because it's Valve of course.

Weekly Battlecup, which if it's like the TI pass cups does nothing except give you a trophy if you win.

The most interesting feature is the assistant which is basically Valve integrating the features of various sites for tryhards into the game itself. There are already sites/apps for hero pick suggestions, build suggestions, talent suggestions, etc. and now this is just paying for it to be in the actual client.

Honestly I wouldn't be against pay to play (either sub or a one time $30 - $50 fee) if they got rid of all the other monetization in the game. Or a pay for server lock feature, pay to unlock matchmaking black lists, etc.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I would have paid more to get the goddamn water map, but nah, they could'nt do like the desert one and just have it come with the compendium. You had to buy the compendium and then either spend a shit ton more money or grind forever to unlock it.

Fuck dota at this point. I'll watch it only, so they can make their paltry ad revenue off of my twitch or youtube view, but that's it. Their greed is astonishing.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Don't need to spend money to play the game. With the exception of TI5 where I got compendium level 1000 (I made a ton of Steam wallet cash at TI4 by reselling the Genuine Flaming Talons), I only bought the base level compendiums just to have access to TI MMR (where there were no South Americans) and a few hats here and there that I really liked. I probably cost them much more money in server time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i bought a bunch of levels for one of the compendiums for access to a map but that was it lol

either way people can still play the game as is, like whatever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag