Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BG Vet: my dog's butt     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I just skimmed the thread but I'll offer my 2cents.

I saw a Dirty Jobs episode of a dog groomers where as part of the cleaning they squeezed the anus and some liquid shot out. It wasnt poop but some sort of fluid buildup they get in that area if not properly emptied on a regular basis can cause infection and whatnot.

Your dog may have something related to that which is causing this problem.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

That's the general consensus thus far. I'll hopefully know for sure today after his appointment and I'll report back.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Generally, 2tbsp - 1/4cup of canned pumpkin hardens stools which then causes anal glands to express themselves naturally. Like any source rich in fiber, too much of it at once will cause diarrhea. I guess I should've specified.

Small amounts of pumpkin work wonders for dogs with seemingly chronic diarrhea when drugs like Metronidazole aren't available (or if the dog has prior liver issues).
    This is the part that is false. Again going by information from my wife who is a vet tech, pumpkin is a stool softener it is high in fiber and will not harden stool. This also does not help dogs with anal gland issues. Specially in the case where there is a blockage or an infection.

However it doesn't hurt to try things like this. Just be cautious because some foods are very dangerous for dogs chocolate is the most widely known but there are some random ones too like raisins.

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    This is the part that is false. Again going by information from my wife who is a vet tech, pumpkin is a stool softener it is high in fiber and will not harden stool. This also does not help dogs with anal gland issues.
    <-- worked as a vet tech for a couple of years part time & is going to school to be a veterinarian

Pumpkin can both firm and soften stools depending on the amount given. Small amounts will firm it up somewhat just like rice, but dogs are more likely to eat the pumpkin. Giving too much pumpkin will have the opposite effect. Pumpkin, boiled chicken, and rice are often suggested as dietary supplements for puppies suffering from Giardiasis or Coccidosis to help stop diarrhea and, in turn, prevent dehydration. I'm sure there is more information all over google.

Dogs with impacted anal glands often encounter that problem if they've had soft stools for a while which prevents the glands from emptying normally, so firming it up a bit typically helps somewhat.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Rawr lets have a battle royal to see if you or my wife are more experienced with dogs and who knows more!

Just kidding.

Supplementing your dogs diet with foods like that can be good but it can also have unpredictable results depending on the dog. My dog was highly allergic to corn and chicken for example. The corn allergy is rather common for dogs but chicken was unexpected.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've always seen pumpkin recommended for dogs with loose stools. Just did a simple search for pumpkin on the two corgis forums I visit and it brought up 100+ results on each, with people recommending it for dogs with loose poops.

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Rawr lets have a battle royal to see if you or my wife are more experienced with dogs and who knows more!

Just kidding.

Supplementing your dogs diet with foods like that can be good but it can also have unpredictable results depending on the dog. My dog was highly allergic to corn and chicken for example. The corn allergy is rather common for dogs but chicken was unexpected.
    I'm not trying to get into a pissing match over experience or anything. I am just 110% certain that in this case I am correct.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I'm not trying to get into a pissing match over experience or anything. I am just 110% certain that in this case I am correct.
    There is no such thing as above 100%...

Whatever I was relaying information so I could have heard that part wrong.

The bottom line is that the OP needs to get the dog to a vet because it is more than likely an anal gland issue or some sort of infection.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

The only way to settle this is to force feed your dog 3 pumpkins then post its poops for all to see!

Siriusly though, hope your dog gets well soon. We used to have a fucking beast of a dog that was half labrador, half stegosaurus that had to have its butt squeezed every month or 2. He always looked happy but slightly disturbed when he came back from those trips.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Thanks, Jod, been awhile man. Like 4 years "awhile", lol. Dunno if you ever knew Chiyaura from Seraph but she's actually a DVM, have had to send her pictures of my last dog many times lol.

You guys nailed it, we just got back a bit ago and the Vet echoed just about everything mentioned here, being an abscessed anal sac as well as being rarer in dogs his size. Pumpkin wasn't mentioned specifically but the Vet recommended raw vegetables if his stool is softening just to give credit to those mentioning it. Duke's on antibiotics now, prescribed Cefpodoxamine, but they didn't drain the anal glands or mention he might need them, but I didn't think to ask why. Hopefully that won't become a problem.

Also I wanted to ask, is an AAHA membership a big deal? I noticed only one Vet in the area is a member and I've heard good things about them, but he wasn't the first recommended to me or who I decided to take my dog to. Wasn't sure if it's worth looking into as the new Vet we went to today was really great and extremely patient with Dewk.

Here's a picture of the butt in question as thanks for all the help :D Thank you, thank you, thank you.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...kefun001-1.jpg

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

That is awesome glad to hear your dog is going to be ok. The anal gland thing is not a big deal even though it is rare in larger breeds some dogs individually can have issues with it.

You can either try the vegetable thing like Nyx and the vet said or you can have the sacks emptied by the vet or a dog groomer like once a month or when the dog starts scooting/biting at his butt.

Or if the dog is having regularly loose stools maybe there is something in the food you are feeding him that doesn't agree with his stomach, I don't know. Like I said before dogs can have random food allergies sometimes that cause upset digestive systems.

This is just me speaking now since I am at work.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

That makes sense, his main food diet has been working well for the past year or so, but I'll have to keep a closer eye on what he gets as snacks as people have a habit of sneaking him treats, but I've cracked down on that for the most part ever since we started walking daily, lol. In that regard he has also lost 9 pounds since last Winter (was 92lb., weighed 83lb. today, my OP info was way off) so spirits are high lol

Hopefully this isn't a reoccurring issue but I feel well-prepared for it now if it is.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

cute lab. not as cute as mine (:D), but adorable, all the same. i wonder if i can find a pic of mine, heh