Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BG Vet: my dog's butt     submit to reddit submit to twitter

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

BG Vet: my dog's butt

Warning: this is gross.

Some information: 2-3 year old Labrador Retriever, weighs roughly 77lbs last check-up, eating Orijen Adult Dog, very active and goes on walks every day.

I think my dog has hemorrhoids/a hemorrhoid on his butt, near the anus and I wanted to ask the hive mind about this before his Vet appt. since the soonest they can see him is Monday. If it is in fact a hemorrhoid, from what I've read it's not something he needs to go to the emergency clinic for, but it is a little worrisome. It's hard to tell personally if that is what it is since I've never seen anything like this on any dogs before.

Anyhow, I discovered it last night after noticing he kept getting up and moving every few minutes after laying down. I wasn't sure if he was sick or needed to go outside so after taking him out I noticed what looked sort of like one semi-large pustule just slightly off to side of his anus. He didn't seem to be in any pain, but it looks like it was agitating or discomforting him as we caught him licking frequently, like that type of obsession they can get with fleas.

When I woke up this morning I realized I should've put his cone-collar on because whatever it was is now gone, but has left a defined wound, like a cutout of what was there. He'll still be going to the Vet so we can treat it and see how serious this is, but in the meantime given how many dog owners there here I wanted to ask and find out what I could ahead of time.

Is there anything I can do until Monday? Would it be safe to disinfect the area now or is that going to be really painful for him? What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated. Can post pictures if needed (none taken last night).

You can always call an Animal Hospital near you and make the trip if it's needed. They might be able to give you information over the phone first. I wouldn't do anything unless the vet tells you to.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

mebbe it's anal glands are being weird?

milking em might help. Stick your fingers where it's asshole is. Then feel around for a little marble type thing under it's hole. Should feel it, then squeeze and push it in and upwards. Careful though if they're really full it could jet out like crazy. I'd wear eye protection

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post

milking em might help. Stick your fingers where it's asshole is. Then feel around for a little marble type thing under it's hole. Should feel it, then squeeze and push it in and upwards. Careful though if they're really full it could jet out like crazy. I'd wear eye protection
    This was my first thought. Impacted anal glands can be really bad. They can get infected and start to rot.

I will ask my wife when she gets home she is a vet tech.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I wasn't aware problems with anal glands could be shown externally, but I'm hoping that isn't it. An ex had a dachshund that needed his anal glands drained and it was bar-none one of the grossest things I've ever heard of. Definitely won't be experimentally poking around in his asshole unless his vet determines that's what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    This was my first thought. Impacted anal glands can be really bad. They can get infected and start to rot.

I will ask my wife when she gets home she is a vet tech.
    Thank you, I'd really appreciate it. I'd be interested to know if there's any symptoms to look for prior to or during something like that since up until last night I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Anal glands can get infected, swell up, and look like a big boil on your dog's anus. The openings are at roughly the 4 and 8 o'clock positions in relation to the rectum. If that's where your dog's spot is, the glands are likely impacted or infected. If impacted, they just need to be emptied. Infection requires ~2 wks of oral antibiotics (typically Clavamox which will run you $35-45).

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The anal glands usually express when they go to the bathroom, but diet and genetics are a factor in some issues. Biting at the anal area, dragging the butt along the carpet are both signs that it's not getting expressed. They can randomly get infected though, again, genetics or diet. If they are something that didn't get digested and scratched or tore on the way out, they'd be open for infection then. Usually happens more as dogs get older.

They occasionally get abscessed (which is sounds like could be the case) and need to be drained by the vet and prescribed antibiotics. When they become more frequent, the glands can be surgically removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post

This is disgusting and disturbing, I'm glad I don't have pets.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Anal glands can get infected, swell up, and look like a big boil on your dog's anus. The openings are at roughly the 4 and 8 o'clock positions in relation to the rectum. If that's where your dog's spot is, the glands are likely impacted or infected. If impacted, they just need to be emptied. Infection requires ~2 wks of oral antibiotics (typically Clavamox which will run you $35-45).
    That description actually sounds very close to what it is, the problem area is right around 4 o'clock and a boil would be a better description of it. Thanks, Nyx. Is this something he could be prone to in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrai View Post
    The anal glands usually express when they go to the bathroom, but diet and genetics are a factor in some issues. Biting at the anal area, dragging the butt along the carpet are both signs that it's not getting expressed. They can randomly get infected though, again, genetics or diet. If they are something that didn't get digested and scratched or tore on the way out, they'd be open for infection then. Usually happens more as dogs get older.

They occasionally get abscessed (which is sounds like could be the case) and need to be drained by the vet and prescribed antibiotics. When they become more frequent, the glands can be surgically removed.
    Thank you, that really helps.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    This is disgusting and disturbing, I'm glad I don't have pets.
    Disgusting but accurate, I used to work as a dog groomer and would have to do this probably 5 times a day. You get desensitized to it after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    That description actually sounds very close to what it is, the problem area is right around 4 o'clock and a boil would be a better description of it. Thanks, Nyx. Is this something he could be prone to in the future?
    It's possible, but it could just be a one time thing, too. Anal gland issues are common in smaller breeds, but most dogs over 40-50lbs don't usually have issues. Your dog is on a really good food, so diet shouldn't be the cause. Genetics do play a role, but it's seriously pretty rare to get numerous infections in dogs like yours. Puppies and older dogs are more prone to issues because of their building and failing immune systems.

You can give your dog some canned pumpkin with its food. That usually helps empty the glands if they get impacted easily, but it won't do anything for an infection.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    It's possible, but it could just be a one time thing, too. Anal gland issues are common in smaller breeds, but most dogs over 40-50lbs don't usually have issues. Your dog is on a really good food, so diet shouldn't be the cause. Genetics do play a role, but it's seriously pretty rare to get numerous infections in dogs like yours. Puppies and older dogs are more prone to issues because of their building and failing immune systems.

You can give your dog some canned pumpkin with its food. That usually helps empty the glands if they get impacted easily, but it won't do anything for an infection.
    Awesome, that's good to know. I'll keep the caned pumpkin in mind as well. I feel much better about this, lol

Just woke from a nap and read this as "Vote my dogs ass"

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I don't need a vote for that, barring recent events Duke does pretty well in butt-competitions. Also I have no idea why the thread title was changed to ass.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I asked my wife. She said it sounds like an abscessed anal gland. That means it has an infection inside so don't put any neosporin or anything like that on it because you don't want the wound to close up.

She said take a washcloth soak it in warm water and put it over the area and apply a small amount of pressure for 10 minutes if you can or 5 minutes if the dog freaks out. You can do this like three times a day. It helps draw the infection out of the wound.

Also the vet will want him to wear a cone so if you have one bring it to the vet so they don't make you buy another one.

She also said the pumpkin is only a good idea if it is a prolapse because the pumpkin is a stool softener. If it is the anal gland thing the pumpkin will not help with it.

The only thing you can do is have a dog groomer or vet express his anal glands on a regular basis. I think my wife expressed our old dog about once a month when she was still alive (she passed away last month at 14 years old).

I asked my wife. She said it sounds like an abscessed anal gland. That means it has an infection inside so don't put any neosporin or anything like that on it because you don't want the wound to close up.

She said take a washcloth soak it in warm water and put it over the area and apply a small amount of pressure for 10 minutes if you can or 5 minutes if the dog freaks out. You can do this like three times a day. It helps draw the infection out of the wound.

Also the vet will want him to wear a cone so if you have one bring it to the vet so they don't make you buy another one.

She also said the pumpkin is only a good idea if it is a prolapse because the pumpkin is a stool softener. If it is the anal gland thing the pumpkin will not help with it.

The only thing you can do is have a dog groomer or vet express his anal glands on a regular basis. I think my wife expressed our old dog about once a month when she was still alive (she passed away last month at 14 years old).
    Is that something that only manifests in certain breeds? I've never heard of anything like that being necessary like on a regular basis I mean.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Thank you and please tell your wife the same. I was actually doing something similar earlier just to clean up the area and he seemed fine with it so I don't think he'll mind.

Sorry to hear about your dog. :/

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    Is that something that only manifests in certain breeds? I've never heard of anything like that being necessary like on a regular basis I mean.
    Certain breeds or sometimes just biologically certain dogs need help emptying their glands.

You are welcome Caiyuo I hope your dog is ok and the vet visit goes well.

Generally, 2tbsp - 1/4cup of canned pumpkin hardens stools which then causes anal glands to express themselves naturally. Like any source rich in fiber, too much of it at once will cause diarrhea. I guess I should've specified.

Small amounts of pumpkin work wonders for dogs with seemingly chronic diarrhea when drugs like Metronidazole aren't available (or if the dog has prior liver issues).