+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i7 920 Temp Problem     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Vuitton

i7 920 Temp Problem

I am having trouble figuring out why my CPU is idling so warm. I am at work right now so I can't post any screen shots, but I can tell you whats going on from memory.

System:

CPU: i7 920
    Mobo: Gigabyte UD3R
    Cooler: Megahalems in push/pull.
    Case: Lian Li aluminum mid-tower with three exhaust fans (two top, one rear), and one intake fan (lower front). The PSU intakes from the floor of the case and exhausts out the rear, so it has its not contributing to the air flow.

Push/Pull Fans: Yate Loon 120mm
    http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-12...2-pr-3009.html

At stock settings I am idling at 45c, and go up to 70c - 73c on prime95.
    At 4ghz, I was idling at 55c and peaked at 80c on prime95.

These are really hot and unusual temps. I can't figure it out. I have four ideas but I am not sure.

1. Its about 25c in my apartment lately due to the summer heat. Maybe this is too warm?

2. I may have used too much thermal compound (Shin Etsu). I didn't do a drop size and compress, but evenly spread a very very thin layer on both the CPU and the heatsink of the megahalems. I think this might be the most likely cause, despite it being in the megahalem instructions.

3. Maybe the mounted fans on the megahalems aren't going fast enough? They both have the little 3-pin connectors that can go directly into the mobo, and they have the 4-pin connector. I only plugged in the 4-pin connectors. Should I plug in both the 3-pin and the 4-pin? Or maybe just the 3-pin?

4. The megahalems push/pull is blowing right into the rear exhaust fan and is about 1.5 inches from it. Would this exhaust fan be bottlenecking the air flow from the push/pull?

Please help me figure this out.

Old Merits
    BG Level

The 3-pin / 4-pin thing is probably so you have the option of plugging the fan into your fan slot on the MB, shouldn't need to worry about it.

Havn't heard of spreading compound on both CPU and cooler. Pre-spreading can also cause airbubbles which increase temps afaik (it's worth reapplying just to check anyway).

I doubt there would be a bottleneck due to exhaust unless they are slow/silent fans (those Yate's are only ~50 CFM).

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Jojimbo View Post
    The 3-pin / 4-pin thing is probably so you have the option of plugging the fan into your fan slot on the MB, shouldn't need to worry about it.

Havn't heard of spreading compound on both CPU and cooler. Pre-spreading can also cause airbubbles which increase temps afaik (it's worth reapplying just to check anyway).

I doubt there would be a bottleneck due to exhaust unless they are slow/silent fans (those Yate's are only ~50 CFM).
    Woops, I linked the wrong Yate Loons.

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-12...d-pr-3771.html

Here is a pair of fans that matches a single San Ace -H101 for temp, and beats it for noise. These fans can be had for $3.70 each. If you buy three or more, you can get them for $3.30 each. – Link: http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-12...d-pr-3771.html - I can’t tell the difference in quality, so I won’t pay more. I figure I can buy a bunch, and then if they wear out replace them.

Yate Loon D12SH-12 Results on the Megahalems 5v:

Speed: 1100 RPM (average)
    CPU temp over ambient: 59.5c
    SPL: 20 dBA

Results on the Megahalems 5v, tandem mount (two fans):

Speed: 1045 RPM (average)
    CPU temp over ambient: 58c
    SPL: 20 dBA
    (This was an i7 860 OC'ed to 4ghz)

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...ml#post9232305

I guess I am a noob because this 65 fan review talks about the same fans on 5v and 12v, and I don't know how to switch between the two voltages to make the fans go faster.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If your Push-pull fans aren't running at their rated RPM then that's the likely cause of such high idle temps. Just plug them into the 3pin board connection, shouldn't need both 4pin Molex and 3pin board to run it. When you plug it into the board, you'll be able to see what their RPMs are (via HWMonitor or SpeedFan). Also check that once you plug them into the board, that SMARTFan isn't on, otherwise you may find your fans running at 50% too often. Too much thermal paste could be the problem as well, but I'm really surprised at having 3 exhaust fans and only 1 intake. Is it like... a 240mm intake at least? If not, then your problem would likely be fixed by having better airflow. Push-pull isn't helping at all if it's just stagnant, hot air inside your case.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Knyghtmayre View Post
    If your Push-pull fans aren't running at their rated RPM then that's the likely cause of such high idle temps. Just plug them into the 3pin board connection, shouldn't need both 4pin Molex and 3pin board to run it. When you plug it into the board, you'll be able to see what their RPMs are (via HWMonitor or SpeedFan). Also check that once you plug them into the board, that SMARTFan isn't on, otherwise you may find your fans running at 50% too often. Too much thermal paste could be the problem as well, but I'm really surprised at having 3 exhaust fans and only 1 intake. Is it like... a 240mm intake at least? If not, then your problem would likely be fixed by having better airflow. Push-pull isn't helping at all if it's just stagnant, hot air inside your case.
    I just ordered some thermal cleaner that will arrive tomorrow, so I will try reapplying with a better technique.

I'll also get the mounted fans connected via the mobo 3-pin.

As for the case fans:

1 x 120mm Front Fan
    1 x 120mm Rear Fan
    2 x 140mm Top Fan
    These are the exact fan specs. With 3 exhaust fans wouldn't that create negative pressure within the case which would be pulling from the one intake fan? Also the whole front of the case is "open" to the air outside, its just the lower part has the intake fan. So air can be passively pulled from outside the case. Maybe I should get another intake fan?

I know its not stagnant hot air in there, since three fans are blowing it out.

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upl...0/p50b-05s.jpg

What's the cure time on the TIM you are using? Some require a while to cure idk about the one you're using.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by CoronA1979 View Post
    What's the cure time on the TIM you are using? Some require a while to cure idk about the one you're using.
    Supposedly this Shin Etsu doesn't require any curing at all. =/

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

These are really hot and unusual temps. I can't figure it out. I have four ideas but I am not sure.
    No, those sound about right.

(This was an i7 860 OC'ed to 4ghz)
    Did you look at those temps? 58c over ambient means at least 80c in summer.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    No, those sound about right.
    Really? =/ I thought I should be in the 30s and 40s while idle.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My 1090T idles at 23c @ 4GHz with an H50 and my Antec 1200. Obviously it's different architecture, but even under p95/LinX load, I don't hit your idle temps. And I live in Louisiana, it's 45c outside. I'd hardly consider 55c at idle a "normal" temp.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I have an i7 860 not OC and right now it is at 57C and max it went up to 72C [max includes gaming], I did not build the machine myself it was bought in current config. I am not worried about the temp so far. fans are running around 800-900RPM normally and up to about 1100-1400RPM using HWMonitor to check the values.

Old Merits
    BG Level

@Icari: Are you using stock cooler? Max temps looks ok (although they are a tad high for gaming, but I'm not sure how good stock cooler is if you are using it), idle temps look a bit high considering it isn't OCed. The temps are far from damaging though.

My Temps:
    Spoiler: show
    i7 [email protected] 1.17V // @2.3; 1V on idle

Idle temps: 35~43c to 40~48c (thats spread across cores at any one time).
    At one point my idle temps were 27~33c, but then something happened around the time I moved and they are 10c higher even in similar ambient temps.
    Load temps under Prime95 are 69~72c. When gaming I've never seen them go over 60c

H50 with push-pull 50CFM Gentle Typhoons

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

the cooler is whatever dell put in the box, i would assume stock.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Probably stock then. According to intel ~73c is the temp reached under load when on stock cooler for an i7 860, not sure if they mean Prime95 type load of just general gaming. It's probably just stock case+cooler that is giving high temps, but unless they go any higher for extended periods of time it shouldn't be an issue.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Really? =/ I thought I should be in the 30s and 40s while idle.
    They are a little hot, but really nothing to worry about. You could reseat your heatsink if you're worried about them. It's about 18c ambient right now and my idle temps are about ~43c. At full load I believe it goes to around 65c. This is at 3.6Ghz.

Another thing to consider is your voltage levels. The more volts you're pushing the hotter it's going to be. CPU-Z puts my core voltage at 1.168V right now.

Vuitton

Thanks for the tips everyone. I reconnected the mounted fans by the 3-pin instead of the molex and that increased my fan speed by a lot.

I am running a 4ghz now at 49c idle in a 21c ambient room. 100% load takes it up to 70c.

This is what I was running at without overclocking before I fixed the fans. I'll keep my eye on the temps and if I feel concerned I'll clean and reapply the thermal grease and re-seat the megahalems.

thats good, my idle is like 44C loads are 73C OC'd to 3.6ghz

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

That seems pretty high imo. I know its not 4.0 but my 3.2 q6600 is running at 37 idle in a 25c room and the max temp ive seen it is 69c.

Thermal paste isnt really as tricky as people make it out to be its pretty forgiving. Spread a thin enough layer (over the whole surface of the elevated part of the cpu) in a square shape thin and smooth but not so thin that you can see the top of the cpu through it. That should be enough I wouldn't put any on the heatsink.

The whole drop and compress tech can leave parts of the cpu not covered so I like to get the whole thing and know I get it. Always though if you screw your heatsink down tight enough it will thin out to what it needs to be anyways.