+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC to TV Audio Question.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

PC to TV Audio Question.

Parents bought a new TV and decided to send their 50" plasma my way. Still works well and all, but had a question regarding it becoming a media PC. It doesn't have HDMI on the back (few years old) but has DVI. I can do DVI to DVI for just the video, but audio wise, is this the wire I'd need to get sound from my desktop to play through the TV's speakers?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Also, should I get a DVI->HDMI adapter? Not sure how that works; adapter on both ends? The GPU has DVI x2.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Gonna hijack this a bit since I have a similar question. My TV does have HDMI and I connected my PC to my TV with it but I got no audio out of it except on Skype. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Quote Originally Posted by SaviorSelf View Post
    Parents bought a new TV and decided to send their 50" plasma my way. Still works well and all, but had a question regarding it becoming a media PC. It doesn't have HDMI on the back (few years old) but has DVI. I can do DVI to DVI for just the video, but audio wise, is this the wire I'd need to get sound from my desktop to play through the TV's speakers?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    Yes

Also, should I get a DVI->HDMI adapter? Not sure how that works; adapter on both ends? The GPU has DVI x2.
    Uh...your post implied either the TV doesn't have HDMI, or it also has DVI...in which case why bother with an adapter?

My TV does have HDMI and I connected my PC to my TV with it but I got no audio out of it except on Skype. Anyone know what the problem could be?
    Have you tried setting the system audio to use it as the default output source?

Figured HDMI would provide a better output, but I guess that's only if it's natural? (Is there a difference aside from HDMI passing audio?)

Thanks!

An older plasma is about the worst possible thing you could use as a monitor. If you use it for any significant amount of time you will have burn-in like a motherfucker with a quickness.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    Yes
    Have you tried setting the system audio to use it as the default output source?
    I think I tried that. I'm using XP, mind reminding me on how to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by SaviorSelf View Post
    Figured HDMI would provide a better output, but I guess that's only if it's natural? (Is there a difference aside from HDMI passing audio?)

Thanks!
    Digital Signal is digital signal, whether it's DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, HDbase10, or whatever.

No difference.

Tamale Baby
    Groundskeeper of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Mikelee0351 View Post
    An older plasma is about the worst possible thing you could use as a monitor. If you use it for any significant amount of time you will have burn-in like a motherfucker with a quickness.
    ^this since there is a shit load of static images on the screen, i used one like this once and i had to get it repaired.

i just hope its not your main tv for the house if you end up using it.

go HDMI if you can but keep in mind not all GPU's push audio through that port.

Using it to watch some movies on it. It's a good set and in pretty good condition, but I'm aware of the burn in concern. Thanks for the advice.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

it wouldn't matter anyway, the cable can only transmit the quality it was designed to transmit. you can get a vga to dvi adapter and stick it on a vga cable and plug it into a dvi slot, you'll still only get vga quality. if hdmi was any higher quality you wouldnt get it just by using an adapter, but its not so dont worry about it

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mikelee0351 View Post

crt's and plasma tend to lower chance of burn in after about 100hrs of use. I assume if it was used as a tv previously it would likely have hit that 100 hour mark. if your careful and have it turn off quickly when not in use you should be ok.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Disregard. I suck cocks.

EDIT: Wrong TV and lots of other shit

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Are you sure that the cable has a standard TRS tip for stereo? You can see the comparison/explanations on the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_jack

Left channel only likely means that only the tip is making proper contact with the socket. The plug might be split up differently than a "normal" stereo TRS plug. Or it might be damaged. Possibly the PC is set to mono or something? I dunno.

I would try a different cable if you have one or don't mind spending a few bucks to test it. Or get a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable instead maybe, unless your TV can only use the 3.5mm jack with DVI for some reason.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'll check when I get home from work. I didn't notice until I was listening to some rock song on Pandora and there was no guitar solo.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Blanked my post. Turns out I'm a complete tard.

Bumping this for some issues.

Video wise: Hooked it up, and the resolution is extending passed the physical screen size. From looking through menus on the TV itself, there's no auto size feature. Changing the resolution from 800*600 all the way to 1920*1080 results in the same thing, except the higher it goes, the farther it stretches passed the TV. Anything I can do to get it to fit to size?

Audio Wise: I bought this wire as recommended above, and there's no sound at all. Pic below is the back of my computer, where should it be plugged in, B? Do I have to set something specially to designate that it's going through the TV's speakers?

Specs: RCA Scenium D52W135D 52" Plasma, what's the resolution I should be running at?
    http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3060/wires.jpg

Old Merits
    BG Level

The audio cable probably goes in K.

iirc there should be an option for image scaling somewhere that will solve the scaling/stretching issue (where depends if you ATI or nVidia). Closest thing I could find for the res is in the manual where it states it is 16:9 and has Horizontal Resolution of 1097

I'm using a 4670 atm, but I figured K. That wire doesn't fit in K. D:

Old Merits
    BG Level

Guess that's for dual RCA cables and not stero > rca (only saw that afterwards ;; ). B should be working, what were you using for sound before? Your PC may be setup to use a different output.

For the scaling:
    Right-click your desktop, and go to the Catalyst Control Center. Set it to advanced mode if it's not already.
    - At the top left, click the "Graphics" menu, and then "Desktops & Displays".
    - For your desired display, left click the little black triangle in the bottom part of the screen, on the LITTLE picture, not the BIG one, and click "Configure".
    Enable GPU Scaling and click apply, then go into scaling options and change the slider until the picture fits. This solution was for blackboarder issue but it should apply for this as well.

Might have to change the res to get a decent picture with it though (I'm not sure what res the TV is, but you may want to try around 1280x720)

I wasn't using anything for sound before. Just got the card today and decided to give it a go.

I'll check out the CCC when I give it a go again. I mostly wanted it there to watch movies I downloaded, and with no sound I'm kinda SOL on that note. Is the wire I need sold at radioshack? Or whichever would would fit into K?