+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Customer Service Call Center Jobs are awesome!

Actually they arn't. Just got hired at a call center for a printing company. Getting 8.50/hr and going through 4 weeks of training. We have a handful of computers in our training room and 9 trainees. 5 of the computers there don't work, because they either can't connect to the DOS program they use to place orders, don't have enough disk space to even run Windows XP or just can't be turned on. I think what pisses me off the most about this job is sifting through the F: drive on the computer, looking at the horrible designs Prepress is putting out and knowing I could do better in half the time.

Anyone else love the call center environment? Hate it? Recently burned down their place of work and are now on the run from the law?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Are you in India? If you are, I hate you

Spoiler: show
    I don't think it'd be possible to enjoy/love a call center job.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

i don't get it, you got a job in a terrible economy, what are you complaining about?

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

I've been trying to get fired from my call center job because I'd rather shamefully collect unemployment than work at that job, but it's almost impossible to get fired because their turn overs from people quitting is way too high.

Worked for AOL back in the day. Started $10.00+plus shift diff, unlimited overtime(getting $15.50 to sit and browse the internet/take like 2 calls basically from 1am-6am) was pretty sweet until I got burnt out from doing graveyard shifts for like 6months.

Now, I kick myself for leaving that cushy job to pursue "highereducationlol" because the jobs have dried up and I couldn't go back even if I wanted.

But, yeah man, job sounds fail. Our call center had some PC's with low memory(128mb) that were slow and the fact you had to find a chair sometimes(no assigned cubicle), but your employer gives new meaning to "cheap fuck"

Quote Originally Posted by Mayareira View Post
    Are you in India? If you are, I hate you

Spoiler: show
    I don't think it'd be possible to enjoy/love a call center job.
    Nope, Amsterdam NY.

@ Old: Yeah I already want to get fired haha, just need to go 3 months then try hard to collect on unemployment.

@Notorious: We arn't allowed to even TOUCH the internet. We have to sit in our shit cubicle for 9hrs a day while staring at MS:DOS on a 11inch monitor using parts from computers built in the early 90s.

I especially love how the place I work for was taken over by a Taylor Made...but we arnt allowed to tell people that who call in and ask because we don't want them to know Taylor owns about 10 companies that all do the same thing and "compete" with each other.

Basically if you call up a my company, get pissed at me and hang up saying "Yeah well i'm going to xx company!" and call that up..you'll probably get me again. We were told "Don't lie to the customer...but if they ask questions...lie to them"

Had my computer fuck up second day of training. I started to fix what was wrong with it, my trainer yelled at me for touching things. So I sat back and watched their IT person fiddle with the computer for 15mins before offering my own advice to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Had my computer fuck up second day of training. I started to fix what was wrong with it, my trainer yelled at me for touching things. So I sat back and watched their IT person fiddle with the computer for 15mins before offering my own advice to the problem.
    classic

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Sounds like they need Ollie Williams IT advice.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Oof. I might get laid off from my cushy civil servant position come Jan. and I would honestly rather collect unemployment for 99 weeks (or whatever crazy high number it is now) than do that shit. Hell, I'd rather work retail.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

being a CSR has to suck, i interact with people everyday at my job and i hate every single one of them, i can't even imagine it being my job to apologize for hours on end and listen to people babble on about their stupid lives and problems and overall lack of intelligence

ffffuuuu i hate people

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    . Hell, I'd rather work retail.
    Already put in about 10 applications to every retail place around here. They probably pay a little better too. Fuck I even put an application in to work at my community college's foodservice department.

being a CSR has to suck, i interact with people everyday at my job and i hate every single one of them, i can't even imagine it being my job to apologize for hours on end and listen to people babble on about their stupid lives and problems and overall lack of intelligence
    Yeah during training they made it a big deal that WE had to apologize to the customer, not talk about how the company was sorry..no no no. It was that WE were sorry and that WE fucked up their order personally. That way the customer blames us and not the company and keeps giving them money!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Already put in about 10 applications to every retail place around here. They probably pay a little better too. Fuck I even put an application in to work at my community college's foodservice department.

Yeah during training they made it a big deal that WE had to apologize to the customer, not talk about how the company was sorry..no no no. It was that WE were sorry and that WE fucked up their order personally. That way the customer blames us and not the company and keeps giving them money!
    I drive through amsterdam once a year, i've always wondered how anyone lives up there, as in what they do for work. My advice would be to leave the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    I drive through amsterdam once a year, i've always wondered how anyone lives up there, as in what they do for work. My advice would be to leave the area.
    Outta here soon as I finish up my degree. Doing a degree online but I want to have it all done before setting up a career in another state/country.

But yeah this place is fucking horrible, and to answer your question what people do for work up here. Answer is nothing. Meth labs and welfare. We have one of the easiest locations to obtain welfare and a really relaxed policy, so we have all sorts of people from Brooklyn, Bronx and others move up here, buy some dump and porch sit.

Coke of Vanilla
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Maelstrom

Tailor Made from I Love New York are you kidding me?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

$8.50 an hour? WTF? I could get a job with a GED for $10+/hr (starting) over a decade ago. Has the economy really gotten that bad lol?

My suggestion to you is that if you're anything above drooling idiot, try getting onto some call sheets for local catering companies or music pavilions/amphitheatres. A lot of the time companies like that are pretty much looking for people with a pulse, but the calls have 4 hour minimums no matter how long they actually last, and the pay is waaaay better than $8.50/hour.

Quote Originally Posted by brisk View Post
    Tailor Made from I Love New York are you kidding me?
    I think it's Taylor Made, not sure if they are the same company just spelled differently or w/e.

@Cyn, yeah 8.5 an hour. But here's the best part, I can earn 1% commission if I sell....1500$ worth of merchandise or more! That's only on addon sales though and not just from me doing my job of putting in orders for people too fucking stupid to use the website to order their shit.

Seriously I take calls from people too dumb to work a simple order form on a website.

Was honestly considering going into a local restaurant today and applying to be a waiter since I saw the sign out front. Not sure how much better it is being a waiter though, never done that.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

i worked at a call center for a company called Boston Proper a couple months back. it wasnt so bad working with a bunch of cool ladies as one of the few men in the building. i was making plenty cash since commission ended up paying off more than the 10 bucks an hour and it came a bit too easy.

its a company that sells woman clothing. like victorias secret. in fact, they consider VS their biggest competitor. but we took the majority of their older woman, since that's the kind of clothing they advertised and the audience to appeal for.

it sucked for me sometimes though. having to answer questions about bust measurements on dresses that i never heard of can be a pain in the ass, but the annoying crotch measurement for granny panties got on my nerves.

edit: one part that sucked, was that we were constantly monitored and on a timer. we couldnt have an average over 120 seconds a call, lol. it sucked. i would rather deal with the occasional male foot fetish caller since they hear my voice and finish their shit FAST, rather than ladies who like to hear the sound of a man's voice lol. they will tell their life story, and im way too polite even off the clock. i always had a hard time with that rule.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Was honestly considering going into a local restaurant today and applying to be a waiter since I saw the sign out front. Not sure how much better it is being a waiter though, never done that.
    Unless it's a Waffle House, I'd wager that pretty much everything is better. (unless you like to party on the weekends)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

For a while, I actually worked in a pretty cool call center. It was for a smaller ISP, very relaxed, best trainer/boss I ever had. First time working hard actually got me off the phones to do other work in a CSR/TSR type job. + Cozying up to the supervisors :3

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

From my experience call center work blows - I used to support a big ISP. The number of people who answered Dell to "what is the brand of your modem" is mind boggling. Some of my friends still work there and I can't fathom why. There's a bunch of game companies in Austin - you can do QA and it starts at like $10/hr, some even get benefits 3 months in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast