+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft     submit to reddit submit to twitter

yeah cacti grow on sand, reeds grow on dirt directly adjacent to water. Cactii can grow on snow maps too (although snow accumulating on top of a cactus will stop it from growing)

I have a cactus in my upstairs foyer that i harvest every day or so, although the placement limitation (and the fact that they hurt you if you touch them) make them kinda useless for building.

fucking minecrack

so if this game is in alpha now, will it probably be a long time for it to go into beta? With the halloween update I guess he's just adding a few things at a time but with the rate he's making money I doubt he really cares about getting the game finished so quickly anymore lol

edit: also can you build shit on top of mine carts? I'd totally fucking love to have a moving hut shaped like a train engine, called "put put hut"

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

You can't build on top of minecrats.

So does anyone have a BG server up? PM me the IP!

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

even if the game doesn't get finished, its still a great game, I just hope Multiplayer Survival mode gets released sometime soon.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Been playing single player a ton, I only saw like 2-3 people say they wanted a server so I can't justify leaving my PC on 24/7 for like 4 people. Trying to convince some friends to play and then maybe if I can get like at least 10 or so people interested I'll throw it on my linux box.

Anyway, I reached the bottom of the map and got a bunch of diamond, like 8 gems now, and about 5 gold ingots. I need a faster way to mine though, Iron pickaxes are fast but I can't seem to find enough Iron to justify using the Iron pickaxes too often. Currently, I use stone pickaxes and only switch to my iron if I'm mining redstone, gold or diamond (these are the only blocks I've encountered that seem to require me to use Iron pickaxes).

LazyShell
    BG Level

Skip iron entirely and go straight for a diamond pickaxe. They last so damn long, so nice. Not really a much better use for diamonds anyways, besides a jukebox of course!

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    Skip iron entirely and go straight for a diamond pickaxe.
    you need to use an iron pickaxe to get anything from diamond ore

LazyShell
    BG Level

Well yes, but he said he was already using irons only to mine the higher ores. Also, he said he had a bunch of diamond already, so yeah.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting
    Tools and Swords list:

* Wood: 33 uses
    * Gold: 33 uses
    * Stone: 65 uses
    * Iron: 129 uses
    * Diamond: 1025 uses
    Diamond picks may last 1025 uses but they don't last long if you get knocked into lava by a skeleton's arrow and your pick burns up because you didn't have your water bucket set to your bar and couldn't get to it fast enough. Also, when you misplace the pick because you got lost while exploring a wonderfully awesome cave full of iron, water, lava and apparently creepers and skeletons who managed to kill you.

I don't bring my diamond picks with me when I go mining for the elusive iron ore anymore. I only use them when I make inter-base minecart tunnels. Also, has anyone made a forest in the sky? On a small island I made a platform that reaches the clouds and has a 3 tree 'forest' on top. I was pretty amused that it worked.

LazyShell
    BG Level

I think I've only lost 1 diamond pick when I accidentally fell into the void. Was pretty funny, I wanted to see what it looked like so I found a deep enough spot to dig through to it. After I got my fill of it, I decided to go back to mining and turned around. Then instead of hitting the W key I hit the S key and backed right into the hole I just dug. As depressing as it was, I couldn't stop laughing at the hilarity of the situation considering how careful I thought I was being.

Since then I've been pretty good about keeping my wits about me, or at least recovering my dropped items (in the case of mob spawns raping me) pretty quickly. Then again, I haven't actually played too much after setting up some of the basic things. I've made a pretty awesome greenhouse for wheat, and have stumbled upon some insanely complex cave systems (as well as building my own) and come across maybe 4-5 mob spawners and associated prizes, but then I couldn't really justify playing by myself much longer. The only things I regret is not building some awesome minecart systems, from what I've seen on youtube, they can be pretty fun to work with if you learn enough about the way they work and using redstone to dramatically increase their practicality.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    One of his friends said pres actually bought the game after seeing this video so there might be a real elpresador minecraft commentary comin' down the pipe. It'll be hilarious to watch if it happens.
    Fucking love that guy.

I have yet to find a single dungeon on my current map, and I've been playing it for a while now. I really want some of that mossy cobblestone to build with actually, and I guess I want to find a few records for my jukebox.

My house is coming along nicely, now I'm doing landscaping and replacing all the sand/gravel in my settlement with dirt so it's grassy, then I'll probably use half steps/smooth stone to build a set of sidewalks/paths.

As for picks, I use stone pickaxes for Stone/Coal/Iron, then I use Iron for everything else. I know Diamond lasts a long time but I've lost diamonds to stupid deaths too many times now, so I only take my diamond pickaxe out of storage if I know I'm going to be mining obsidian (which btw takes wayyyy too long to mine).

Btw I decided to try dealing with those "floating tree masses" by simply lighting them on fire with Flint & Steel, which worked well to clear the leaves but now I have eternally flaming floating logs in the skies surrounding my town lol. Looks cool at night though!

The Spooniest of Bards
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Last map I spawned on seemed to be some type of tropical island like thing. Spawn point on the beach etc. Had to climb up a bit to make a base but the mine within the island was awesome... or so I thought.

I had gone through most of it, it seemed. So I started digging through the beach into the sea. Ended up with these giant stairs into the ocean. At the bottom hit a lot of lava though. Placed right next to a lot of water. Made a lot of obsidian. But I could only find 2 diamonds. :\

I wandered into my first dungeon by accident. I thought the mossy cobblestone was poisonous until I wiki'd it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah, dungeons are way too sparse in survival. My main base is absolutely nowhere near any caves either. I've dug a giant well straight down to bedrock and I am currently in the process of just clearing out a giant room about 5 blocks above it and I haven't hit any caves or anything. Just random Redstone, Iron, and Gold which I leave where they are and clear everything around them. I have sooooooo many resources right now that I don't know what to do with so I'm just gonna keep clearing that area until I have a massive underground room or find some caves.

For me, building is a lot more fun than mining, so the main purpose of mining for me is to get materials to build.

I was reading that long-term, it's not really feasible to use coal to power your furnaces since it's ultimately a limited resource, even though you need 43 trees to smelt a stack of 64 ores/stones/glass as opposed to 6 or 8 coal.

Oh, does anyone know if you can plant saplings indoors and have them remain saplings (the way flowers appear when planted) or will they not even let you place them unless there's enough room for them to become trees?

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

to the people who don't care about mining, just want materials, whatever: there are map viewer programs that will show you where the ore/dungeons are located on your map

I made an epic strip mine today, its over 500 tiles long :D I haz so much stone. Time to build a few castles.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post

Oh, does anyone know if you can plant saplings indoors and have them remain saplings (the way flowers appear when planted) or will they not even let you place them unless there's enough room for them to become trees?

You can place them inside, but if they aren't getting any light they will auto destroy and turn back into the little sapling that can be picked up. Also, if there are at least 4 spaces above the sapling when planted it will grow into a regular tree eventually. So make sure there aren't 4 spaces above the sapling when you plant it and it should be fine.

I have a huge tree at the very bottom of my well that is down at the bedrock. Its pretty silly looking.

so it'll stay a planted sapling forever if I make sure it has light, but not 4 spaces of room? I'm basically trying to place it like a decoration inside my house

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Make a whole in the wall and put it into that 1x1 square.

What programs can you use to explore your map? I thought it was infinite or does it only let you explore what has been generated thus far due to your exploring? (i.e. what the game has auto-generated up that point)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast