1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 15 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 5 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 4 hours, 15 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp View Post
    You obviously haven't been following along very well.
    I haven't seen an official translation yet, so I'm waiting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    How upset would everyone be if cable companies stated that you can only watch TV for 8 hours a week per channel, and after 8 hours the reception goes bad until it eventually fades out completely? People would be PISSED. That shit would not fly.
    oh man this made me rofl
    SE needs damage control and NA Community Managers ASAP. To not have one in this day and age is baffling and just makes it look like they don't give a fuck about the "Foreigners". I nominate Elmer.
    I'd seriously pay an extra 1$ a month for SE to set up official forums with some kind of community presence.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    I haven't seen an official translation yet, so I'm waiting for that.
    You can get the general gist of it from google translate. The 8, 15 and 0 numbers are all in there.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

wow had this same exact system for a week or so in their beta. they scrapped it almost immediately and went to the 200% > 100% bonus

it didnt work then, wont work now, except SE isnt going to be smart enough to remove it quickly, they will just pull it 2 years from now when the game is dying

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I read the original Japanese feedback forum posting. The clock starts ticking the moment you change class and start getting exp. There is a limit on the amount of exp you can gain from that time until a week has passed for that class (each class has its own "clock"). They actually do not have plans currently on how to use the "surplus" exp you gained. They want to consider this seriously since if they start creating quests or mechanics where you can regain this surplus, it would nullify the whole reason they implemented this restriction to begin with.

It is interesting that Mr. Kawamoto (FFXIV Director) is the one that made the post. I am sure there will be an official English posting soon, but regardless of what the limitation was in beta, SE is re-evaluating this and is considering relaxing the restriction to a lesser degree. He comments that especially the restriction on the Physical exp, which is shared regardless of job class, will need to be revamped and relaxed.

I did find it a bit amusing that he comments that the current FFXIV system was designed to be "balanced" so that people who did not have as much time to play can efficiently enjoy the game.

Ah, Final Fantasy Balance, the system by which everyone is punished equally!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by DeathbySnoosnoo View Post
    things and samurai will always be better than any other dd because they are japanese, duh
    guess kraken/m.kris drks dont exist huh?

Nut Steamer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by natethegreat View Post
    This really just makes me wonder how much content they really do have. What would be the possible reason to do this other than a lack of content?
    This sounds pretty much correct to my ear. I mean my head explodes when i'm trying to come up with a logical explanation to this surplus thing.

P.S Hyan, sorry for trying to stop you from shooting this game down, now i realised that i want to shoot it down aswell :D! (Yeah yeah it's still beta, but what the ....)

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

This surplus/restriction system seems to have been in place all along. However, as Mr. Kawamoto explains, the reason why it has "come up" in beta 3 is due to:

* Play time available during a week's time to people was dramatically increased.
    * The amount of exp gained was greatly increased to encourage party play.
    * During initial beta3, the amount of exp gained from mobs in a party or weaker mobs was greater than intended.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

it didnt matter in alpha cause you only got 8 to 12 hours a week to play and servers probably kept getting reset.

It was a huge issue in beta 2, but people lumped it with the exp bug. and figured it wasnt working as intended

In beta 3 it was working as intended, and people didnt understand it

It was always a problem, and the idea that better exp per hour faster surplus is a bad game design. it means you can in fact hit surplus fast. In fact sharing guild leves and what not will bring you to your knees even faster, so then exp is only so much of a bonus, i can party it up and get fast exp... and hit the cap or i can solo and get average exp and hit the cap. meh its not a great system idea.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blasta View Post
    This sounds pretty much correct to my ear. I mean my head explodes when i'm trying to come up with a logical explanation to this surplus thing.
    It is very logical bro.

The only thing that fails here is SE's inability to make these kind of systems more appealing to the community. I think someone here or in the beta forums already explained how they could have done it instead. "Fatigue" is such a bad word to be used here. "Rested EXP" would have made people jump for joy even though the consequences would have been just as bad, only not for the type of players that post on this forum.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Any time you set limits to things for no real reason, IE to limit exp gained or limit quests completion (IE JP midnight resets) it just gives off a bad vibe. Nobody plays MMO to be limited by things like that. We play to be in an open world and to advance a character, not to be limited for not playing the way they "want" us to play.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meko View Post
    Any time you set limits to things for no real reason, IE to limit exp gained or limit quests completion (IE JP midnight resets) it just gives off a bad vibe. Nobody plays MMO to be limited by things like that. We play to be in an open world and to advance a character, not to be limited for not playing the way they "want" us to play.
    They have not set any limitation for no real reason yet. There is always a purpose for these things.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    They have not set any limitation for no real reason yet. There is always a purpose for these things.
    They've explained their reason for it, and there are much better solutions for that than putting a hard cap on experience gained.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    It is very logical bro.

The only thing that fails here is SE's inability to make these kind of systems more appealing to the community. I think someone here or in the beta forums already explained how they could have done it instead. "Fatigue" is such a bad word to be used here. "Rested EXP" would have made people jump for joy even though the consequences would have been just as bad, only not for the type of players that post on this forum.
    Rested EXP would have been a better way of stating it, however, rested EXP or bonus EXP usually means something good, not something bad as is with this case. Bonus EXP would be 150% or 200% slowly degrading to 100% and not to 0%.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meko View Post
    Rested EXP would have been a better way of stating it, however, rested EXP or bonus EXP usually means something good, not something bad as is with this case. Bonus EXP would be 150% or 200% slowly degrading to 100% and not to 0%.
    Indeed, rested exp would have been better as far as community reaction goes.

"Bonus EXP" would mean "more grinding" because that's the purpose of it; to make the grind more tolerable for the casuals.

But if they just made the game a massive grind with rested EXP, nobody would complain (before the game is released, anyway). Like somebody said in the earlier speculation thread, rested EXP is basically a "time limit" in which casuals can get "good enough" exp.

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    Ah, Final Fantasy Balance, the system by which everyone is punished equally!
    A little late to comment on this, but this is EXACTLY how Japan treats everything. Equal punishment for all regardless of situation..

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by neubian View Post
    This surplus/restriction system seems to have been in place all along. However, as Mr. Kawamoto explains, the reason why it has "come up" in beta 3 is due to:

* Play time available during a week's time to people was dramatically increased.
    * The amount of exp gained was greatly increased to encourage party play.
    * During initial beta3, the amount of exp gained from mobs in a party or weaker mobs was greater than intended.
    If this is true, the game is DEFINITELY going to fail.
    EXP sucks donkey balls outside of levequests and this is supposed to be raised exp..? Ouch.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I agree that having a limit like this is not ideal. Just from my experience, I never really hit the hard 0% exp cap (I actually rarely hit the yellow exp mark) while I played in beta 3 because I did a variety of things. My main job as Pugilist was only 18, Conjurer 3, Botany 14, Mining 9, Cloth 14, Fishing 2 (lol). However, I have seen people do mostly leveling and get to as high as lvl 35? (perhaps more?). I am sure these people hit the exp cap.

I am sure this restriction is infuriating to a lot of people, especially if you have more time to play, but for people like me, it was not really an issue.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    ...That's fucking retarded.

I'm sorry, but there should be no fucking penalty for people who actually have time to play.

Edit: Wait its per WEEK? LOL. I can almost understand per day....but WEEK? Brb, canceling my pre-order. I'm not spending money on something only playable less than an hour or two a day.
    Unless nothing at all is going on, and no friends are online to bs with, I spend at least 3-4 hours a session online when I'm on 11, sometimes longer depending on when I log in and what's going on with friends and or linkshells. 8 hours a week before surplus kicks in, is the most retarded shit I've ever heard, if that's actually true then fuck, this game is gonna tank hard.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast