1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 25 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -35 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

main problem even with the best implentation, it punishes you for having a favorite class. sure you can play a lot, but not as what you want to play. The higher you get, the more its true, sure i might want a lancer skill he gets at 14, but do i really want one at 40? it continues to force you to play other classes or stop playing even when your like 35. What it i dont like the other DoW to play them that much. And crafting class is fine, but honestly you cant play that class without materials and money, so it wont be a feasible way to split your time.

not to mention it would need more indicators, countdowns etcs, even if it exists it shouldnt be the guessing game it seems to be.

Its just bad the only questions, exactly how bad

who thinks its actually good here?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    If this is true, the game is DEFINITELY going to fail.
    EXP sucks donkey balls outside of levequests and this is supposed to be raised exp..? Ouch.
    Oh, I am sorry the amount of exp that was dramatically raised was specifically for Levequests.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by neubian View Post
    I agree that having a limit like this is not ideal. Just from my experience, I never really hit the hard 0% exp cap (I actually rarely hit the yellow exp mark) while I played in beta 3 because I did a variety of things. My main job as Pugilist was only 18, Conjurer 3, Botany 14, Mining 9, Cloth 14, Fishing 2 (lol). However, I have seen people do mostly leveling and get to as high as lvl 35? (perhaps more?). I am sure these people hit the exp cap.
    30 was the cap so no

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I think alot of people are really over reacting to this system. Sure, it doesnt seem right for them to limit how we play the game but I believe the reasons why they are doing it are sound but could be tweaked a bit to lessen the restriction. This is not going to be a game where your gonna want to play one class to max, the game is being designed to level multiple classes to be able to use abilities from all classes to customize your class. If your plan is to level only one class then there are many mmo's where you can do just that, this will not be that game.
    There are 18 classes in this game which would provide you with 144 hours of normal xp not counting the diminished xp you gain after the 8 hours. If your only interested in combat classes that will still give you 56 hours of normal xp. There isnt going to be much if any endgame at launch and everyone knows this, so what is the point in just grinding one class to max just to sit around waiting for content. Take your time and experiment with classes, crafting, gathering to make your character well rounded and much better equipped to handle the challenging endgame that we all know will be implemented.
    I think another reason why this system has been implemented is so the PC players don't get so far ahead of the ps3 players, who have to wait on the outside looking in, that they won't be able to catch up whereas SE could have delayed the PC version to come out as the same time as the PS3 and very well could be taken out of the game once the PS3 version launches. People who are so called hardcore that are cancelling their pre-order over this makes me laugh as if you were really hardocre you would want to level up many classes to be the best player you can within this new world.
    Maybe I'm just crazy as I dont really see a huge issue with this and Ive been a pretty hardcore gamer over the years but chirst people, this is just a video game, do you really have nothng else going on in your life that you need to cry about not being able to just play one class all day long every day in a game that is desinged and has made it clear they want you to experiment with many classes to create a well rounded character. Sorry for the long post, wall of text blah blah

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

As long as everyone is leveling at the same speed I don't think its a big deal. In fact it might be nice to not feel like you need to be exping every minute and spend some time doing other things.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The whole talk about growth and focus on players shaping their characters "the way they want it" from first interviews... such bullshit lol.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    30 was the cap so no
    Ah, I see. I stand corrected. I didn't know the cap was 30 since I saw people with lvl 32 gear.

New Odin
    BG Level

As far as the actual grinding goes, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a lot more done in those 8 hours than in FFXI.

One of the reasons for this system is to keep the (vertical) grind in check, after all.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by conflix View Post
    I think alot of people are really over reacting to this system. Sure, it doesnt seem right for them to limit how we play the game but I believe the reasons why they are doing it are sound but could be tweaked a bit to lessen the restriction. This is not going to be a game where your gonna want to play one class to max, the game is being designed to level multiple classes to be able to use abilities from all classes to customize your class. If your plan is to level only one class then there are many mmo's where you can do just that, this will not be that game.
    There are 18 classes in this game which would provide you with 144 hours of normal xp not counting the diminished xp you gain after the 8 hours. If your only interested in combat classes that will still give you 56 hours of normal xp. There isnt going to be much if any endgame at launch and everyone knows this, so what is the point in just grinding one class to max just to sit around waiting for content. Take your time and experiment with classes, crafting, gathering to make your character well rounded and much better equipped to handle the challenging endgame that we all know will be implemented.
    I think another reason why this system has been implemented is so the PC players don't get so far ahead of the ps3 players, who have to wait on the outside looking in, that they won't be able to catch up whereas SE could have delayed the PC version to come out as the same time as the PS3 and very well could be taken out of the game once the PS3 version launches. People who are so called hardcore that are cancelling their pre-order over this makes me laugh as if you were really hardocre you would want to level up many classes to be the best player you can within this new world.
    Maybe I'm just crazy as I dont really see a huge issue with this and Ive been a pretty hardcore gamer over the years but chirst people, this is just a video game, do you really have nothng else going on in your life that you need to cry about not being able to just play one class all day long every day in a game that is desinged and has made it clear they want you to experiment with many classes to create a well rounded character. Sorry for the long post, wall of text blah blah
    If you play the game, you kind of see, its natural people are going to be more interested in one job than another. I played every job besides fishing and culinarian, and i prefer pug, the amount of useful skills i would take from other classes to customize that pug is not that large. DoM is a pain for me. lnc is hax but still bores me. other jobs i dont really want to face the tnl to level past like 16. your looking at as a beginner, but there really isnt that much benefit to taking most of these other jobs past 20 and at that point, it sucks.

The fact is you dont actually need any of the subjob skills at all. some are cool for certain situations but they all cost points, have varying degrees of effectiveness, and there is only so many skills you actually use in battle. in a balanced party, you need even less, If it really were necessary, that would defeat the purpose of the game, because a casual would suck because he didnt put in the hours leveling every other job as well. the other jobs are merely for options.

take for example this fact, eventually, you wont be able to gain one level in a day, no matter how effieceint no matter how skilled, no matter how much time you have. you could figure out a bird party and get 20k an hour just means you got nothing to do for the rest of the day on the job you like.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by conflix View Post
    This system will work in my favor very much if I ever pick up FF14. My play time is only around 10hrs a week max. I plan to lvl maybe 2 jobs in the game.

The fact stands that in FF11 I played over 30hrs a week EASY. Id say even a lot more then that when I was off from school. If I still played like that a system like this would piss me off to no end. I really hope we are missing something big here so that it does not turn away to many hard-core players.

The core players are what make the game. I may not be one anymore but id say most will side with me when I say to screw over the people who dig deep into the game seems like a bad idea.

It could very well be a beta thing, will have to wait and see. Unless this shit storm gets back to the dev team again.

Edit: In ff11 I lvled a total of 7 jobs to 75. and 2 to 80 before I quit for good. How long do you think it would have taken me to the jobs if I had a cap on exp per day? I lvled bard on my week off from school and work (37>75). If I had a exp cap it would have taken me months as I played very little in the following months.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

lol, I love it. He is defending a system that is fuckin horrible. And he is trying to save face by saying all the sites are wrong.. when they did, in fact, implement a system that fucks over ppl who play too much (yeah, he says to "go level another job" but that's just a way to mask what the system really does). I'm glad to see SE is a bit concerned now, they realize their game is getting absolutely horrible press before its release and it's gonna destroy the game.

I just can't wait for all major review companies to play the game. "Yeah, we started out as Glad, but since we have to play a lot to get a review out to you fast, we had to switch jobs at lv 14 to archer, and then switch to another job when archer reached 14. So we are writing this review w/o ever hitting lv20"

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    when they did, in fact, implement a system that fucks over ppl who play too much
    Which one do you want to fuck over... people who play too little, or people who play too much?

Utopistic response: NO ONE!

Yes, I, too, wish that there would be no wars and suffering in this world.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Which one do you want to fuck over... people who play too little, or people who play too much?

Utopistic response: NO ONE!

Yes, I, too, wish that there would be no wars and suffering in this world.
    Rested exp does this just fine in WoW. They should have just stolen the system.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

If there really is a need (and I would probably argue against it) to keep leveling too quickly in check, it HAS to have some kind of worthwhile bonus attached to it. Like if you are in the 50% reduction zone, other jobs get a 25% bonus, and while that whittles back down to even, it brings your 50% reduction back up. Now *that* would get people to actively do multiple classes. Or, as I've seen suggested here, if surplus levels could be turned in for faction points or guild marks, that would also give a nice benefit to someone who wanted to grind through lower returns without them leveling too quickly.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

This game started out making excited to play and really looking forward to it. Slowly, but surely.. much like the dwindling exp and what not, I've lost my interest and it's almost zero now. Honestly.. if anyone expected Squeenix to learn a damn thing from their previous trips into the MMO land, well that's like being excited about a FFXI update before you realize how much shit they broke, and how it's not what you thought it is. It's beyond silly. As it stands right now, with as many problems as they have just a month before release... not a soul should think the launch will be a good one. Hell, this launch may make Aion's look beyond amazing. It's been a cluttered mess. No nice way to put it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Casual players generally understand that they can't progress as fast as someone who plays 10 hours a day. I don't know many casual people who actually want more dedicated players to be strangled and forced to play at a casual level. People who play 10 hours a day expect to not be fucked over for devoting a lot of time and money to a company's game.

So if a bonus experience system is supposed to "fuck over" casuals (???), they're not going to be mad because they didn't want to play much more than their "bonus" time lasts in the first place.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm so close to wanting to cancel the preorder because of this. I want to believe this will work but It sure as hell won't.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    Rested exp does this just fine in WoW. They should have just stolen the system.
    WoW is the only MMO capable of doing this, because they don't need to give a shit about hardcore. The exp curve in that game is for casuals, yet there is rested EXP. They don't limit hardcore growth because they don't give a shit. 1 hardcore = 10 casuals. And when one casual quits, 2 more join in.

Do you think SE, or realistically any other developer (other than Bioware perhaps) can make this game a same kind of cultural phenomenon? I don't.

Casual players generally understand that they can't progress as fast as someone who plays 10 hours a day. I don't know many casual people who actually want more dedicated players to be strangled and forced to play at a casual level. People who play 10 hours a day expect to not be fucked over for devoting a lot of time and money to a company's game.
    It's not about progressing as fast as hardcore. It is all about progressing at a reasonable pace. With an exp curve suited for hardcore population, for casuals only rested EXP will be enough to make the grind tolerable.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Suirin View Post
    Btw, there is a new developer's post at the (Japanese) beta tester's site that explains the whole system in minute detai. Talk about fast reaction ^.^/

Basically it's 8 hours per week @100% Skill increase, then dwindling to 0 in 10% increments during the following 7 hours. However, this is class-specific. So playing another class will give you a fresh 100% start for that class for 8 hours.

As pysical level is shared between classes, however, after 8 hours/week it's down the road no matter what.

And SE seems pretty adamant about that.

Which I, personally cheer them for. Some people simply have to be guided to get a life. Or play WoW. Or a Korean Grinder.

Of course, you CAN play longer without switching classes and you WILL get EXP. But by playing double the "normal" time for that class (16 hours) will net you only 150% of what a 8-hour-player gets.

The only thing SE did wrong was naming this a "fatigue/penalty" system. If they had stated that "for the first 8 hours every week, you'll get a 100% EXP bonus. Yay!" everybody would have been happy. Although technically this would be the same thing.

Psychology, psychology.

I know this was a few pages back (im late to the party), but still...

I dont understand this. It's not bonus xp for the first 8hours (or w/e you want to call it), ppl were literally getting next to 0xp. How is that bonus xp? Your xp starts at 100% and goes down. and lol @ 8hrs a week. Are they kidding me? Casuals play 8hours on weekends alone. They made a system that screws over every gamer, not just casuals. If they were this worried about casuals then shoulda done what Aion did in China.
    Kid accounts have restrictions, Adult accounts can play as much as they want.

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

I'd cancel my preorder, but I spent near 2k on a computer just for this game. So its a bit to late to turn back. I'll force myself to play this game for the next six years even if it sucks ass, haha.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast