+ Reply to Thread
    so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Laptop for School - Advice Needed

Hi there! As I am headed back to school soon here, I have a question to get PERSONAL FEEDBACK from other BG'ers. I searched on google threads and even brand name laptop forums but it was just a bunch of people nerd raging at one another and then it turns into an argument about overclocking and PC people and Mac people arguing... ugh...

ANYWAYS.

I have about $600 to shop for a BASIC laptop for school. Running MS Word, doing Power Point presentations and the what not. I have a seperate laptop for my music and casual internet surfing, etc. But I need a new one because the one I am using right now has over 280 GBs of music for my iTunes. Ok NOW ANYWAYS.

Tl;dr = $600 for a reliable school machine. PC or Mac? Any recommended models? Not very computer savvy.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Mac you pay for the name, you can get the same thing in a PC you can get in a mac for -400. The Dell Inspiron brands will treat you well. I have had experience with 8+ of those and none have been disappointing. I for one am not a big fan of brands like Acer and HP, but recommend Dell and ASUS.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Easy, best solution for you would be the basics of basic and that's a netbook (Asus, Acer, and MSI make good ones) or if you don't like the small form factor go with a cheap dell laptop (generally can't beat those with cheapness). Mac doesn't have a solution for you unless you buy used and get real lucky. Just go PC. If you wanna play with OS X just do what I did and go hackintosh.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Easy, best solution for you would be the basics of basic and that's a netbook (Asus, Acer, and MSI make good ones) or if you don't like the small form factor go with a cheap dell laptop (generally can't beat those with cheapness). Mac doesn't have a solution for you unless you buy used and get real lucky. Just go PC. If you wanna play with OS X just do what I did and go hackintosh.
    I like the netbook idea, but working powerpoint and word on a 10.1' screen can be bothersome, not to mention Klutz seems like she likes the social world, so multi-tasking word, pp, aim, FB etc can run some heat and stress on a netbook constantly.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

macs are ok for some things the main conflict i found was i was using a PC version of office boss had a mac version. No matter how hard he tried everytime he sent me or anyone in office something from word or excel without PDF'ing it the document was always MESSED up..... Margins wrong, added pages you couldnt delete weird random shit.

Best advise if everyone in your class uses PC just use that mac's are in my opinion highly over marketed for their name and not for their ability to perform any better.

so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    I like the netbook idea, but working powerpoint and word on a 10.1' screen can be bothersome, not to mention Klutz seems like she likes the social world, so multi-tasking word, pp, aim, FB etc can run some heat and stress on a netbook constantly.
    Do you think it would be better to buy said laptop off the internet or just go pick one up? I'm not sure if I get any extra deals or a bigger warranty or something with one or the other. I'm not too into this stuff, my Mom always bought my school stuff for me, and this year she said any materials I hadto buy on my own for senior year, lol.

Edit: Oh my god, I'm sorry about that.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Klutz View Post
    Do you think it would be better to buy said laptop off the internet or just go pick one up? I'm not sure if I get any extra deals or a bigger warranty or something with one or the other. I'm not too into this stuff, my Mom always bought my school stuff for me, and this year she said any materials I hadto buy on my own for senior year, lol.

Edit: Oh my god, I'm sorry about that.
    If you have a local bestbuy or costco head there and compare prices with what's on the internet. You'll get the same warranty regardless, just depends on whether you are willing to wait for the shipping.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

have you checked with the school to see if they have deals on cheap laptops just for their students?