+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The thing that makes Breaking Bad so great are its very unique qualities. The show is probably the least formulaic I've ever seen. You know exactly what to expect from House every show, at least after I've watched the first season of it. It's not that I don't like it, but the real intense creativity isn't there. , Breaking Bad, you don't ever know what to expect. For example, last season featured one episode that took place entirely in one room. Only really good production and acting can pull that off, and they did.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Network shows almost have to be formulaic for a lot of reasons. The difficult part is being able to stand out at the same time. Some shows are able to accomplish that and I think the shows that do deserve a lot more credit than they get. More and more though these accomplishments are being ignored in favor of shows who don't have those restrictions in the first place.

EDIT: Apparently the next Emmy broadcast may be split...

The idea of expanding who carries the program, and even splitting it into more than one show, would address a major concern of broadcasters, who compete fiercely in the series category, both for scripted and reality programming, but have all but abdicated the movie of the week, long-form and miniseries type of programs to cable and especially to pay TV. The most notable is HBO, which again was the top winner at the Emmys, both on Sunday and a week earlier at the Creative Arts Emmys.

The idea seems to be having one Primetime Emmys show for the series categories, which would air on a broadcast network, and another for the long-form programs, which would air on a cable or pay TV service. If it was on pay TV, based on past discussions, the pay wall -- which would exclude nonsubscribers -- would be dropped for that night, so all cable subscribers could see the show

Broadcast executives, in off-the-record conversations with THR, have previously expressed their frustration with airing a show that is mostly a huge promotional postcard for HBO and cable. Having separate shows could solve that problem.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...8c7078a7b9cf37

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I love when they open the show with the ending. I remember when Walter was walking away from the exploding building and just about wet myself with anticipation for the rest of the episode.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

In retrospect, I wish Party Down would have gotten the nod for best comedy.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

agreed

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

is the second season of party down a lot better than the first (or at least the first 4 or so from season 1 that I watched)

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
    is the second season of party down a lot better than the first (or at least the first 4 or so from season 1 that I watched)
    I loved Party Down, and the second season had some awesome, awesome moments, but I'd be hard pressed to say which season is best.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Both seasons are equally funny imo. Although in the last episode of season 2 when Kyle is playing his song about his struggles to the group of old jews at Constance's wedding has to be the show's funniest moment.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Season 2 of Party Down was amazing from the start. It sucks that it's over, but the finale turned out to be so fitting for the entire series. I still want to know why Starz didn't produce a "Are we having fun yet?" beer commercial for real.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I dont get why Starz didnt just continue the show w/ a new lead, since the show is essentially the perfect vehicle for out of work actors until they get another gig..

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    I dont get why Starz didnt just continue the show w/ a new lead, since the show is essentially the perfect vehicle for out of work actors until they get another gig..
    Yeah, you could just have a running stream of random people coming and going, and it would fit perfectly with the show.