Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Abyssea Light Control and Job Duties

Thought I'd like to post my understanding about abyssea light here and how to make a successful abyssea run.

Most people only go for exp and such party are often form by shouting in whitegate. If you are forming the party, you should state that you want people to have at least 5 hours of party time remaining so that you do not have to replace new member for 5 hours. Mostly people never state that and end up having to replace people just 60-120min into the abyssea. And 5 hours is enough to net you level 75 - 80, and many merit points. And people who join your party know when the party will end. Most shout currently never state ending time and replacing people and messing up light and key members is troublesome.

A successful exp party need some specific job, mainly COR, BRD, BLU, BLM. The COR and BRD put with 4 DD with Attack song and roll for a strong DD team. And another mage party with BLM and BLU for the magic kill. Other job like DNC for haste samba and curing is also very useful. Should you be getting a DD, you might want to choose those nearer to 75 instead of 80 so they don't exit to spent their merit and lose all light effect. And those doing merit point at 80 might want to consider joining abyssea for merit using job that never land a killing shot. WHM COR BRD is best for meriting if you have them cos you can just spend merit and return without hurting the run.

Upon entering the abyssea, all members are expected to get HP & MP boost, and stats boost like STR DEX is a must for DD. VIT boost for everyone to reduce DMG taken and INT MND CHR for Mages. Those who can use Atma can get the necessary boost too. All these boost are dirt cheap and you shouldn't save your cruor on them. Should you get DCed and lost your buff, you should flux back to reactivate them. If you are leader, you might want to ask everyone to get 2 stacks of forbidden keys too. 18 members x 2D each = 36stacks enough for the whole run. Even if you have a KEYMASTER, who usually is a low level leech, he might need time to get so many stacks himself. So with everyone having some keys, the KEYMASTER can ask anyone to open the chest for him to share the forbidden key he has to get. Another reason for the 2stacks is to use the 2HR reset ability from the chest which is "intense soothing light". Jobs like SMN, who can use odin and 1 shot the mob, should use it whenever a intense soothing light is available. So a SMN should always carry more forbidden keys to open 2hr reset chest. When a SMN is not available, 2HR can be used on COR to feed TP or BRD to sing powerful DD song to speed up killing rate. So KEYMASTER must call out which party member should use his 2HR and then open the reset chest.

Another useful chest is Temporary items. If keymaster spot a temporary chest, he should say in party chat "Temp @ 30sec" which means he will open that chest in 30 seconds. Upon seeing this, all DD should use the temp item currently in their inventory asap. mainly the +atk and potency one. and the +magic atk for blm. all mages should also use the lucid ether and elixir to refill their mp asap. if DD make full use of all this boost they will help to speed up killing rate and hit the exp cap faster.

You will also need a MA "Main Assist", he should be a DD with short weapon delay and
    he will be your main assist for every DD in your alliance. MA should switch to a new target
    when the health of the mob currently engage is about 40%. Do not wait until mob dies.
    So that when other mob is dead, all DD have a new target which the MA is currently engaged. I have encounter some slow MA and thus wasting precious abyssea time spamming my assist macro and nothing to engage. A backup MA arranged before party start is recommended so when main MA need afk the backup step in.

You might want to appoint a light counter too. Preferably someone who run a parsing
    progam. This person will occasionlly announce the amount of light currently achieved.
    Example : Azure 36 Pearl 14 Ruby 3 Golden 1 or A36 P14 R3 G1 for short.

Now for the light, every abyssea run start with Azure light, which is killing a mob with magic.
    You will need 30 of this light to cap the reward. 15 if u have Abyssite of Kismet. To get 30 of this light, I would like to remind all the DD to disengage whenever appropriate HP% is achieved, usually 20% HP left should disengage or turn yourself away from the mob, and leave the last few percentages for the BLM SCH RDM or BLU to snipe it off. If you kill it with a WS and spawn a ruby light, it will slow down your chance of getting a TE Time Extension, because Red box will start popping. It is not difficult to achieve 30 Azure Light if everyone do their part, usually DD like to spam WS and end up with a ruby light, here I can suggest to you to spam your WS at the start of each battle. Don't risk spawning a ruby light and ruin the run, just spam your WS when mob is at 90-100% HP. And remember to always disengage or turn away when mob is dying for the mages to snipe with a magic kill. If you accidently kill it with a WS or auto melee hit, apologise in party so that they know you are accident and am aware of you know how to achieve Azure light. Those who anyhow kill and don't feel regretful are grouped as NOOB. SMN should spam hastega, Earthen ward or supporting bloodpact.

At this moment I would like to say something which I missed out, which is the light from the
    red box should they spawn, if you are doing exp party, do not ever open a Amber or Ebon light chest. As a Keymaster, you only want to open Azure, Pearl and Golden for exp party. Do not open Ruby light too cos you will have enough of ruby light if you do WS kill. Reason being should you obtained a Amber light, means you will have chance to get a Brown chest which contain key items and scroll or materials. Having a chance of brown chest means a lesser chance of TE. Without Amber or Ebon, Sturdy Pyxides will be Blue or Red which give you chance or TE and Golden light. With Amber or Ebon, you increase the chance to include the Brown Box which reduce your chance from 50% it could be BLUE chest to become 33.33% it could be a Blue Chest. So for exp party you must avoid getting this light, just a bit of it could ruin the whole run trying to get TE. So no Amber and Ebon please. However, when you are stable in your run after 3 hour or so which your abyssea time have already store up to about 150min or more, you can safely open them to get some reward for gil items in the brown chest. But also comes the trouble having to ask people to random for gil items or scroll, I personally never get anything from those brown chest and have no idea who end up having all those gil items at the end of party. It also create the hassle of having people shouting at you should you get a key item to pop a NM in that zone, and they will yell "Random for key item please". In short. avoid amber and ebon unless you are
    ready to deal with the items inside.

Back to after getting 30 Azure Light, you will want to get 30 Pearl Light, this is done by killing the mob with a normal melee hit, also known as Auto kill or Auto Melee kill. At this point, the playing style for some job have to change. Particularly the BLM and SMN. BLM should turn into healer when trying to get Pearl Light, or at most, do Tier II light nuke at start. And haste the melee if you are a BLM/WHM. It is unlikely you will get your tier 4 or AM nuke off the mob without accidently killing it with magic shot. SMN will turn from supporting role to attacker, because all kill shot by avatars is Pearl Light. Should ODIN the mob if you see 2-3 mob slept very close together. And whenever a "Intense Soothing Light" is available, just ODIN a mob and reset your 2HR. All DD will not have to turn or disengage when trying to get Pearl Light. Every kill should yield a pearl light if you don't have any other light effect other then Azure and Pearl. If some noob already yield a Ruby light from
    his misfire. Your pearl light will be harder to spawn, maybe 2 or 3 mob yield 1 pearl light. Just
    remember always let the DD to Auto Melee hit to kill it or SMN to Predators Claws or Windblade it.

Once you have 30 Azure and 30 Pearl, you can open up your kill to any kill which means magic kill, auto melee kill and WS kill only. DO NOT ELEMENTAL WEAPON SKILL KILL. With this, the kill rate should be much faster now, no holding back, DD and Mages are free to nuke and WS away. Only the Keymaster job is important now as he must not open Amber, Ebon and Ruby light at all time. When a red chest pop, beware it is a Ebon or Amber and must not be allow to open until you are comfortable with TE and have lots of stored abyssea time like 150min above and am willing to deal with the items from brown box. As for Ruby light, once you got 30 Azure and 30 Pearl, you are free to open it. Oops I forgot about Silvery light which increase your crour, Silvery light is fine to open after 30 Azure and 30 Pearl too but not avisable to open before.

As for why I say not to Elemental WS kill at all time, because it yield Amber Light on some mob and only contribute to spawning the brown chest. Usually only those Abyssite Quest/Mission Linkshell or HNMLS will want to farm 30 Amber light to farm for those key items to spawn high level NM. Which usually don't happen in a exp party. However if you are planning to farm for those keyitems, scroll and gil items, just do a party like any other exp party, built 30 Azure and 30 Pearl, then anykill to built up stored time up to 160 over min. Then you focus to get 30 Amber light from chest or Elemental WS Kill shot. From then on, anykill shot again after 30 Amber should net you a chance with a big fat brown chest with many gil item inside like scroll and khroma ore.

Back to exp party. I would like to touch on the 2 Abysite which will makes the run smoother
    which is the Scarlet Abyssite of Kismet and Azure Abyssite of Prosperity, I read that it give the player a chance to get the highest reward after 15 Azure and 15 Ruby light, which means there is a chance to get a TE after 15 Azure light at the start of the party in abyssea, but the kill shot must be done by YOU. I have both abyssite but no chance to really test it as it is hard to get the kill shot by you. Only way is to go as BLM to try to sniper it off with AM2 magic. I usually go as WHM to abyssea for merit so having this 2 abyssite as WHM is a waste. If you like to go abyssea with a job that land killshot you should get these 2 abyssite. They are easy to get if you do the quest in the zone. I have all fame 6 in all 3 zone and mostly 10/10 on quest except that stupid quest in tahrongi who want 50 drop from Bog Body which nobody bother to exp on them.

Next I would like to touch on killing shot on certain job. I was told all avatar's nuke will yield
    Pearl light, even magical one. So I not very sure if the Tier IV magic nuke should you happen to land the killing shot will yield any Azure light. Any summoner out there can share your experience with me whether is it possible to yield any other light as a summoner other then Pearl. Also I have no idea is it all blue magic will yield Azure light, if WS + Chain Affinity + Blue Magic and kill it with skillchain effect will yield what light. I also have not tried if COR's quickdraw is a magic kill or not to get Azure light. Anyone care to share. If you have any other weird killshot which I didn't think of you can share with me too.

And last I seek player to share with me your experience in abyssea as the job you play with in there. Like what should you be doing as that job. I will start off with some.

SMN/WHM
    At start during 30 Azure Light I do Hastega, Earthen Ward, Dream Shroud, Aerial Armor. And Haste the DD in other party and also healing the DD with cure 3. At 30 Pearl Light I Predator Claw and Windblade to try score the killshot, and ODIN if I see 2-3 mob slept together. Or whenever a 2HR reset chest pop I will ODIN a fresh mob. Not necessary have to be pulled, you can just run out of camp and ODIN a mob then go back to open the "Intense Soothing Light" chest. Always have 2 stacks of forbidden keys with you. When anykill, can just bloodpact away and occassion help healing if necessary. All the time standing by if keymaster call for "Temp @ 30sec" I should quickly pop the Lucid Ether and Elixir.

WHM/SCH
    Haste duty. Accession + Stoneskin. And of course spamming cure. Also I would cast Protect
    and Shell on DD member because usually they are in a BRD COR and 4DD party with no protect spell on. As long as my MP allow I would buff DD players. Having been a DD myself in abyssea, 9 out of 10 times I have no protect or shell spell on myself as DD. Also need to spam Lucid Ether and Elixir. And visit Martello to refill MP if necessary.

BLM/RDM
    SCH/RDM
    BLU/???
    Main duties is to snipe the mob with a Tier 3/4 or AM2 during the initial stage of getting 30 Azure light. Once 30 Azure light over and focusing 30 Pearl light, you turn to healer, or at most light nuke with Tier 2 nuke only. Then after 30 Azure and 30 Pearl you can go all out to tier 4 or AM2 at will. I like to sub rdm for the Convert, then I will recover HP using Drain and Lucid Potion. Seldom use Cure 3 to recover HP back after convert. And usually you get cured very fast by healers too. Always try to use the Temp item with boost magic attack whenever keymaster call Temp @ 30sec. Also poping lucid ether and elixirs as necessary. You can sub whm and haste DD if you don't like sub RDM.

COR/WHM
    Just need Chaos and Samurai roll. Roll 11 on both and you can afk 8-9 minutes and come back roll again. if cannot get 11 then u can only afk 3-4min. Easiest job ever. Going as a cor that everyone wanted and do nothing except those 2 roll. However you can chip in the help by throwing the Cure 3 and Haste the DD. And if you don't mind to spam on quickdraw, Iceshot or Thundershot whenever it is up. Even better if you willing to spam bullet. But to me Quickdraw, Cure 3, Haste, Random Deal and thoseroll are your bread and butter. Need to spam Lucid Ether and Elixir too.

BRD/WHM
    Main duties is lullaby, usually there might be a puller who would fish some mob and run into camp, you have to be always on the lookout to lullaby them. Recommended song is Minuet x2. Can spam some cure or haste out but you should be busy enough sleeping mob and singing song. When trying to get pearl light you should 2HR to make melee stronger. Should a Intense Soothing light is available in chest and no SMN is around to odin the mob, you should soul voice and reset your 2hr with a forbidden key. Always keep 2 Stacks of Forbidden key on yourself.

NIN/WAR
    I can't think of any reason to get a NIN, lost out to other DD in terms of DMG, no need you to tank also. Maybe you can be a MA, or a Keymaster to leech. Any NIN out there want to share your experience with me about how you can contribe to Abyssea. As for myself I got NIN from 75 to 80 as MA.

BST/DNC
    A very powerful DD, Jug pet using Snow Rabbit or Sheep, and sub dancer to throw in the cure if necessary. Can Primal Rend should you need a Elemental WS for Amber light. Bread and butter is Foot kick or Lamp Chop and your Rampage WS.

DNC/SAM
    Main duties is Haste Samba, preferably fully merit. And must be able to alliance cure when engagedin combat. I myself made a macro page for every alliance member for Waltz 3 and waltz 4 using <A10> to <A15> and <A20> to <A25>. Always keep your TP high for curing, and only spend your TP with Sekannoki to WS so you don't end up with no TP, thus the reason to sub SAM.

PUP/WAR
    I am not so sure about PUP, I leech my PUP to 80. Yet to skill up my pet to cap. I remember
    my ws isn't that great either. Have no ideas if I kill it with a magic shot with my pet will
    yield any Azure light or not. Or a ranger pet will it yield any pearl of ruby light. Any PUP professional out there willing to share your playing style with me as PUP?

PLD/WAR
    Instead of tank or MA, can also be a puller now, especially the frog camp. Just link all the frog around and pull back to camp for BRD to sleep them. Usually a backup MA or to provoke those sleeping mob at camp to keep them away from BLM or BRD. I don't know much about this job as I don't like PLD. Got myself to 80 as MA.

RDM/NIN
    I have no idea how they pull but they usualy end up being a puller. Any rdm out there can tell me what you actually do in abyssea? I seen rdm as puller in Mandy and coinegae camp.

MNK, WAR, DRK, DRG, RNG, THF
    These job are quite easy, just dump them into a COR BRD DD DD DD DD party. Usually I should have above 600 attack at all times with this setup. Just WS the mob at 90-100% to spend your TP. Pretty straight forward for these DD job. I only want to talk about Thief. As you can trick and sneak attack on alliance member, if you can work with a party member to position himself for you to SATA your WS, you will end up with huge DMG, probably over 2K if you macro your gear for sneak and trick. However it is very hard to know which direction the mob is facing and it is always turning before your trick member is lined up. Worst case is you probably just got to Sneak attack + dancing edge, this should net you around 1700 DMG. Thief is a great DD, only if they combine with Sneak or trick. without those.... not so great. So do help out the Thief as sata partner if you can so as to maximize dmg.

That pretty much sum up all I know about abyssea light control and duties. Should you have any great experience you want to share as a particular job like what you should focus doing and how you should optimize your job or at which particular camp what you should do. Like RDM should always focus on silencing the mob in Worm camp.... share it with me.

After reading this, I hope you will know how important your role is to get those 30 Azure and
    30 Pearl light. And hopefully we do not see people who misfire a Ruby light from WS anymore during the initial stage of party. Or Noob leader who ask the keymaster to just open all chest.

Ok lah that is all. I shall end here.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I looked down and saw you recommending gimp subjobs and immediately considered all of your wall of text invalid.

attack song and roll
    PLD
    frog .. back to brd to sleep them
    blahblah

inb4 lock

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Recommended song is Minuet x2
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:e...cepalm.jpg&t=1

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Rivitting tale old chap! I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would end!

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

holy fuck what is this shit?

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Saying you should get THF and RNG DDs but not NIN. BST/DNC is a very powerful DD? Attack songs? KEYMASTER! COR/WHM. Not opening Ebon in an EXP party.

This is just a terrible wall of awful text and you should feel bad.

Has to be trolling.... thats a lot of text for a troll tho.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Now.

RDM/BLM Pulling frogs is Fun >.>
    I have 354 Enfeebling Skill, 300+ Enhancing Magic + Capped Stoneskin Pro V and Crimson Legs. 47% Fastcast with a couple of haste pieces mixed in where skill/INT gear isn't needed.
    Can link about 5-8 frogs keep them ahead of u until u get to camp, provided no lag sleepga goes off before they can get through your Stoneskin. PDT Set can go a long way here. Run 25' away from them recast Stoneskin plenty of to get Sleepga off before they get to u, much less get thru u Stoneskin again. As long as the group knows not to commit actions on u and grab hate that is, all they have todo is voke and kill one mob at a time. You are the mob control. Have one of the BLMS back u up if U find lag is keeping ur sleepga from going off. With A decent Fastcast + Haste Sleepga timer is nothing.

RDM/Anything can pull mandies... they lolBoring. I pulled for 5 Hours str8 by Thew Bomblet ??? and never once did they get close to me. My biggest problem was dumb DD who didn't know how to use /autotarget off. If they werent there I could have easily kept 3 Mobs there w/o the need of sleepga.

Everyone in my Abyssea static thinks I'm insane pulling 5-8 Frogs, but they don't say much when they constantly elbows deep killing frogs.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Good read, liked the part where you said WHM has to cure.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

KEYMASTER

Whats with the daily trollposts on BG lately? lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Most important: Before you leave PT pop the mandi NM onto your PT or pull Bhumi and try to kill it with 2h

tldr?
    OP sucks?
    k :3

What is this I don't even.....
    What's with all these shitty threads lately?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

This should be stickied like Poof's nyzul isle guide. Very informative, thanks OP.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

so....30magic 30melee, did anyone not know that? and wtf no ebon in xp party lol.
    /sh abyssea party must have 3stones, 5hours, and have read my wall of text on BG /t for invite.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    This should be stickied like Poof's nyzul isle guide. Very informative, thanks OP.
    FUCKIN

WHATEVER YOU DO
    NO BARDS IN ABYSSEA

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I AM THE GATEKEEPER ARE YOU THE KEYMASTER?