+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter Tire Questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Winter Tire Questions

Ok, I will need to get new Winter tires before Winter, and I hesitate between these 2 tires

Michelin Xice 2 for 118$ per tire
    and Toyo GOP2 for 102$ per tire

Anyone have experience with each?

Just saying for those who doesn't know I have to get new tires because, the law in Quebec now forces us to get Winter tire before December 15

Thx

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    the law in Quebec now forces us to get Winter tire before December 15
    Whaaaaaaaaat. If the government made me buy anything of $500-significance I'd flip shit. I don't even need to buy my medicine that keeps me alive if I'm dumb enough to decide I don't want it.

Anyways, I don't know what series, but I run my G6 on some type of Michelin snow tires straight through the winter all through the summer (have to rotate a couple times to keep the treads even, but it works) so I'd say go with Michelin.

Snow tires really don't have many variations, since they're all designed for the same thing. Michelin tends to be a better rubber so if you're looking for quality over value, Michelin is probably better.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Don't know if the tires would be cheaper, or more expensive......

but i've always used Bridgestone Blizzack tires on both of my subaru's, and have had no issue with them over the years.

However out of the 2 you posted, i'd go with the michelin

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Toyo > michelin, all i've ever heard from friends/workers about michelin is that they have a big marketing budget and they make subpar tires compared to other companies, and toyos are the best selling tire worldwide so i'd imagine they're doing something right.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I don't know if you have any tire discount stores up there like Les Schwab but I bought my winter tires from them and it is their own brand of studded winter tires. IIRC they were way cheaper than anyone else and they will swap your tires every season for free. Try looking around for a large tire store like that who carries their own brand. For winter tires since you are only running them for part of the year I don't think you need to go super expensive. Mine work great and have lasted several seasons so far including one season where I was working at a ski area and driving up to the mountains every morning.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

All I know is that both Toyo and Michelin offers a 100$ mail rebate if we buy the tires so

Toyo would be like 102 -25$ per tire while michelin would be 118-25$ per tire

Either tire is fine, there's nothing wrong with either. I'm a fan of Michelin because their performance tires and purpose built tires, have been getting really good reviews around the motorsports world. It's all about price and preference. If you get really insane amounts of snow, you might want to check out getting a pair of studded snow tires as mentioned above instead of conventional snow tires.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ramor View Post
    Toyo > michelin, all i've ever heard from friends/workers about michelin is that they have a big marketing budget and they make subpar tires compared to other companies, and toyos are the best selling tire worldwide so i'd imagine they're doing something right.
    I guess that means McDonald's is the best restaurant and Budwiesser is the best beer in the world too? Not that I can offer my opinion on Toyo vs Michelin, it's just that I think that your logic here is faulty.

Ratatapa, have you checked out Tirerack.com? They usually have some good comparison videos and good pricing/rebates.

The best tire out there for winter is the Blizzaks by Bridgestone. Second would be the X-Ice, no clue where those Toyo's stand.

Here's a nice test Tire Rack did on Winter Tires. Beats the hell out of straight opinions, since people usually don't change winter tire brands that often.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=135

Edit Function is taking forever to load for me.

Here's another article comparing the Blizzaks to the X-Ice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=136

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

I'm a mechanic at a tire shop. We do a pretty huge volume of tires for a smaller business. Get the toyos.