+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Question about a gas leak in my car

My car started leaking gasoline a week ago. I haven't drove it since the leak started. The leak is on the under side of my car ('95 honda accord, if that matters). I've heard about some stuff that can be used to patch the leak up. I can't remember what it's called. I went to autozone to get some, but the guy there said that since the leak was on the underside of my car, this stuff wouldn't work. He mentioned that it's because the area needs to be dry for this stuff to work.

Well, I've heard from other sources that this isn't true. Even if it is true, all the gasoline has leaked out of my car and the spot is dry now.

My question is, will this stuff work as a temporary fix to my problem? I don't want to walk all the way to autozone without knowing the answer to this question first. I plan on taking my car to the shop and getting a more permanent fix since I assume this stuff wont last for too long. I wont have much money for a few more weeks though. How much would a permanent fix cost me?

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Fill it back up with gas and seal the leak with a blow torch.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

But that's precisely how I lost my last car, as well as my outer layer of skin

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

A general rule of thumb that I've learned in the automotive industry is anything that claims to stop leaks, really in all actuality doesn't. It's just something to sell to the public, and eventually it's going to cause a bigger problem (take a look at the chemicals that claim to stop cooling system leaks.. yeah).

When you're dealing with a fuel system, everything in the system is pretty much pressurized around 45-60psi , excluding the fuel tank itself. Not to mention that most of the time it's all metal routing, I really doubt there is something that can stop that leak under that type of pressure considering the time the vehicle is going to stay operating.

TL;DR, take it to a shop, let them find the leak, go from there even if it's not in the best interest of your pocket.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ummm, better yet. Get a new car? Shit has to have 75,000-100,000 miles, its 15 years old, Pontiac production ended 2 years ago (which is sad, cause I love my Pontiac), its time if at all possible to look at new cars (and by new, I mean new-to-you, not neccesarily new-new) since this sounds like something that could approach $800-1,000 quickly.

The only way to fix the leak woozie is to find out the exact spot where it's originating. If it's coming from a loose hose or something, or even a punctured hose you can replace the line. If it's the tank leaking you might have a bigger problem like rusting which would be expensive to fix. If it's eroded the tank it might have also eroded the under body.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It depends on what exactly is leaking. It could be the gas tank, or a gas line, or the fill tube, and all the repairs for each one of those are differing costs and difficulties. If you can, look under there, find the leak, post a pic if you can and I can try to help you.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Crack a dozen eggs into the gas tank. They'll coagulate and seal the leak, wherever it is.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

You gon' die.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Get a bladder for the gas tank. They used them in pinto's after people would die a horrible death in them because a rear-end collision would break open the gas tank spilling gas all over the car.

That or completely replace the tank.

In either case this is somewhat important part of your car you don't want to just put a bandaid on and forget about it.

And like others have said maybe it's just time to replace it.

assburgers
    BG Level

Shit, it's a conspiracy to take out intelligent black dudes!

Run Miz!

That's what you get for driving a car in a warzone.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Your car has lupus.

BG Level

If replacing the gas tank is what needs to be done, does anyone have any idea how much it would cost? is it more than 400 or so? If so, I wont be able to do anything until I get my $2000 That's why I was hoping there was some sort of temporary fix that could last at least a few weeks. My sister said that when her gas tank had a leak it only cost her like 50 dollars to fix. She said she paid some guy to tack some stuff on to it and it's been running for like a year now. I can't get in contact with her to figure out what exactly the stuff was and who did it for her.

If it's a hose problem those can usually be ghetto fixed until you're ready to replace it, tape etc. But more serious problems like a gas tank leak require changing the tank, which you could find a junk yard cheap, a lot of work to look, or have someone actually repair the tank. Prices depend on who does the work really.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    If replacing the gas tank is what needs to be done, does anyone have any idea how much it would cost? is it more than 400 or so? If so, I wont be able to do anything until I get my $2000 That's why I was hoping there was some sort of temporary fix that could last at least a few weeks. My sister said that when her gas tank had a leak it only cost her like 50 dollars to fix. She said she paid some guy to tack some stuff on to it and it's been running for like a year now. I can't get in contact with her to figure out what exactly the stuff was and who did it for her.
    If I were you seeing as your car is old I would look for a junkyard. In PA they have place called "Harry's you pull it". If you call they can tell you exactly what cars they have but not what is left in them. Pulling out a gas tank isn't too hard. Just have to be willing to get dirty. They should have jacks to raise the car etc, but id ask. If not bring one, the one in the car (assuming you have a spare etc) should suffice.

Google gas tanks for your car, the first one that pops up is $75. If a junkyard is too far to travel I would just buy one that will fits and take it a garage to install. If you know someone who has AAA they could get the car towed for you for free if they are gold members. It would still only be a couple bucks even if they aren't.

If the car isn't in danger of exploding I would toss a gallon or two in it and get it to the nearest mechanic. Most mechanics will install anything you want and just charge a fee. They will probably also let you know they aren't responsible if the gas tank breaks etc. since you didn't purchase it from them. If I had to ballpark a price id say around $400 max if you bought a new gas tank and got it installed. Which is probably the best choice. What if you went to a junkyard and it just so happens the gas tank you pulled had sugar put in it by some asshole and that's why the car ended up there in the first place? You would just make the problem worse.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    What kind of car is it? Also, are you going to bother to look for the leak or just ignore everyone's advice?

BG Level

I've seen the leak already but I don't really know how to describe where it is. I was going to just take a picture of it as you suggested earlier. I'm on campus right now, which is why I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.

assburgers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Your car has lupus.
    http://maki.page8productions.com/not-lupus.png

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sepukku View Post
    Ummm, better yet. Get a new car? Shit has to have 75,000-100,000 miles, its 15 years old, Pontiac production ended 2 years ago (which is sad, cause I love my Pontiac), its time if at all possible to look at new cars (and by new, I mean new-to-you, not neccesarily new-new) since this sounds like something that could approach $800-1,000 quickly.
    Since when was 75k-100k miles on a vehicle a lot and warranted replacement? You are crazy. Most vehicles in reality if you even take decent half assed care for them will last to 150k-200k miles easily. And if you take really good care of them you can go even more. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your post...