Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

"Sandman" TV show

"Sandman" comic book being adapted as a TV show
    By Borys Kit and James Hibberd Wed Sep 1, 8:17 PM PDT

"The Sandman," the Neil Gaiman-written comic book series considered a seminal work in the medium, is in the early stages of being developed into a TV series.

Warner Bros. TV is in the midst of acquiring television rights from sister company DC Entertainment and in talks with several writer-producers about adapting the 1990s comic. At the top of the list is Eric Kripke, creator of the CW's horror-tinged "Supernatural."

"Sandman" told the tale of Morpheus, the Lord of the Dreaming, a deity who personifies dreams. The book began in the horror realm but quickly made its mark in fantasy and mythology as Gaiman introduced the Endless, a group of powerful brothers and sisters named Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).

The book helped establish DC's Vertigo imprint and won several awards. It also was one of the few comics that segued from the comics crowd, entering the intellectual and art worlds, winning over a large non-comics-reading audience, particularly a devoted female following.

A movie version of "Sandman" has been in development since the mid-'90s, with an early version involving "Pulp Fiction" co-writer Roger Avary. The movie version cooled earlier in the decade, with the thinking moving to the best way to tackle an adaptation is the TV route. Up until a few months ago, DC was in talks with HBO and James Mangold to develop a show minus WBTV's involvement, but that never coalesced.

Gaiman was not officially involved with the HBO attempt, though he and Mangold held several rounds of talks surrounding characters and story. The author is not involved in the new developments, though since it is early in the process, that may change. In fact, securing Gaiman will prove key for the project to go forward.

Kripke has been described as interested in tackling an adaptation but cautious because the comic book has such a passionate following and is held in such high regard. It's the kind of series where each production decision, from casting to script to design, would be scrutinized by devotees.

Still, Kripke has managed to create and sustain "Supernatural," which week in and week out deals with fantasy, mythological and horror elements. He also displayed a certain amount of creative integrity when he stuck to his guns by not returning as showrunner when the network renewed the series for a sixth season after he completed his planned five-season story line.

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Bad fucking ass.

That is all.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

mentioned this in the Supernatural thread, really hope it works out.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Moon Guard

One of my favorite graphic novels, hope it turns out well.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Seems like they'd have to scale certain aspects of it down quite a bit to make it viable for the small screen.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't know how they can even adapt the comic into episodic television. The stories were of such a grand scale most of it they couldn't afford to produce. Alot was too adult/violent/graphic for television also(hi2u serial killer convention). My expectations are set very low.

Banned.

BG Level

ehhhhh I wouldn't bet anything on this.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The movie that was planned was actually going to be pretty good - the script has been out on the net for a while (I think it's on wordplayer, found it, the whole script here: http://www.wordplayer.com/archives/SANDMAN.script.html ), but it's essentially dead. They have to be real careful what they do... though it'd have a lot less restrictions if they'd produce it for HBO or something. I bet they're not going to go into the substories, since Dream was only passively represented in many of them (a character of a story told by another character in another story, like in the World's End Inn), but I can see him walking around with Death when she has to take on a living form. Shit, now I'm wondering too much about this...