• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Best headsets for PC gaming and ventrilo ?

BUDGET: Around $100, preferably less.
    Quality: Decent, good clear mic is more important than surround sound
    Comfort: Very important as this is my main source of sound at the moment

The rest ( if there is any ) I probably wouldn't care less about lol.

What is everyones suggestions, recommendations?

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Sennheiser hd555 + Zalman clip on mic. Should have good prices on amazon. Will run you 90-120. Best possible option IMO, don't gimp yourself on sound.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Sennheiser PC350 is a universally enjoyed and agreed-upon headset... which I also happen to be selling!

I honestly can't say how good the Audio Technia AD700's are yet but from all the research I have done, they perform. In the research I did I have found that if you want a good sounding pair of headphones, you should stay away from headsets. With that said, the Zalman ZM-MIC1 which someone else referenced I found to have good reviews (and purchased one).

I can't comment on the headphones I mentioned yet due to not having my sound card installed yet. I refuse to put them on my onboard (lolHD) audio because I know it will just dissapoint me, so I will wait til the next day or so when I get the ASUS Xonar Essence ST installed.

It all boils down to whether you are or are not an audiophile, really..

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Epical View Post
    The Sennheiser PC350 is a universally enjoyed and agreed-upon headset... which I also happen to be selling!
    I have also just recently purchased this headset, it is my first "expensive" headset and it is what i expected of it. It reduces alot of external noise so you can hear w/e audio clearly. I cant comment on the mic part, because frankly i dont use it much, but i have heard it is very good (it is also built very well). Nice ear pads too, i cant stand putting things in my ear and on this headset they cushion on your head around the ears. Only thing i would consider a con is the bass seemed a little weird to me, however i got used to it because the bass isnt drowning out the music type of bass but has more of a quality feel to it, kinda hard to explain.

When i use it for gaming it was like nothing i had experienced before since i never used quality headphones. I hate to sound cliche but it really did feel like an immersive experience (playing tf2). Thats all i can really say about this headset, i felt like my 120$ for it was worthwhile.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

This: http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-51...3588913&sr=8-3

My current headset has great sound quality in game and on voice programs such as Ventrilo, mumble, Teamspeak etc highly reccomend. Very comfortable also.

EDIT: The reviews on amazon go in to abit more detail about that the headset than i did.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

You're going to get a lot of different answers but generally, anything SteelSeries or Sennheiser you can buy blindfolded.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

One warning about SteelSeries I just found out. If a cord breaks or any other accessory fucks up, they WILL NOT replace the part that broke. I bought a SteelSeries Sibera Neckband about 4 months ago and the only thing SteelSeries said they can do is replace the entire unit for half off. I'm not paying $50 for a new in-line volume control. I was thinking about grabbing one of the new Triton Pro headsets, they run about $160 so a bit above your budget but they are Dolby certified and do actual surround sound since each earphone has 4 speakers in it.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-98015...611053&sr=8-18
    Been using this same headset for 8 years now.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Since we're on the topics of Ventrilo and headsets.. I've a question.
    I have 2 different headsets. One is a cheaper logitech clearchat pro (wired version) and the other is a plantronics wireless headset. Use em both for different things.

Question. Whenever I plug in the headset, all audio comes in through the headset (which is normal) So for example. Playing XIV, using vent. The music and sound are coming through the headset along with all voices. Is there a way to separate the two? Like have XIV come through the speakers and vent the headset? I've tried a couple things, none of which have worked.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's possible if you use different soundcards (a USB headset counts as a sound card) in a few programs, Ventrilo, Teamspeak offers you the choice of the sound card to output/input, as for the rest really no idea. Most apps will launch on the first soundcard they find (possible toggle in windows config?).

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

What you're looking for it the best for $100 bucks. Definitely the ones recommended in this thread for sure. I've owned a seinheiser in the past and it was a fantastic headset until it broke (don't lend nice things to your roommates, ever). I filled the void with a shitty logitech clearchat for awhile but now I use an Astro A40 System and there is absolutely nothing that compares to it. It is far above your budget, but if you're looking for some of the best stuff on the market, that's your answer. Misleading thread titles are misleading

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

*bump*

My Logitech Clearchat headset just died yesterday and someone linked me to this one as a replacement: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...force-hpx.aspx

I'm looking at the 5.1 surround sound one.. wish they had a USB model.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

bought a pair of turtle beaches from like a year and half agao. Still work like brand new, used them every day for atleast a year on my Ps3. Recently switched it over to my pc since i liked the foam ear cushions so much. Will always recommend getting a pair. Earforce X1 .. cant remember the name. But they have updated over years so. Grab a pair

I'm looking for something under $100 too, suggesting $250 headphones doesn't really help...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Chiming in to say I love my Sennheiser pc350 headset a lot! I recently had to replace my ear pads and although it was kind of a bitch to snap them back in it means that I can enjoy my headset for many years to come! (hopefully)

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kylewhataru View Post
    I'm looking for something under $100 too, suggesting $250 headphones doesn't really help...
    If you don't mind in-ears then you can try some head-direct RE0 for 80 bucks. Some may call them bass-shy though, if that's you then perhaps check out some etymotic MC5 for 79 dollars for a more balanced sound. If you really like bass then try some Klipsch Image S4s.

If in-ears aren't your thing then I will also recommend the AD700s. If you're using them for general PC use then I would suggest the A700($110) since it is a closed phone you'll get some isolation out of them.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Kylewhataru View Post
    The Turtle Beach 5.1 set I'm looking at runs about $75 + S&H..

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

bump

how are the sennheiser headset compares to its headphone counterpart in term of sound quality?

just wondering if headphone+mic > headset

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Dunno, get some and see :D I think the PC 350s use the same drivers as the hd 555s though.

Here's something neat:
    http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/a...2%20mic%20mod/