+ Reply to Thread
    Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Moon Guard

Odd smell in new apartment bedroom, how to get rid of it?

I recently moved into an apartment and there is a strange smell in one of the bedrooms. It isn't a horrible smell, but it's noticeable when you walk in and then you get used to it real quickly. Before anything was moved in, there was no sign of mold or any obvious causes. It's also the only room of the apartment with hardwood floors and they weren't treated very well. I've scrubbed the floor with Murphy's oil soap diluted in hot water, and nothing seems to have changed. Also worth mentioning that the apartment is in a house that's a bit older.

Any ideas? Sorry I can't describe it any better than that, it's just a hard smell to put a name on.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Febreeze, incense, air freshener? Or just live with it and eventually your natural smell will take over which is usually a combination of the foods you cook, the soap/shampoo you use, and the laundry detergent you use.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Does it smell like:
    1)smoke
    2) old people
    3) muskiess
    4) like the remains of strong perfume

dead mouse in the walls?

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Moon Guard

Byrth, it's musky. No one has lived in the house for several years prior to our move.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Yeah. Going to second the dead mouse in the walls/floorboards opinion then. Owner probably won't look kindly upon you tearing those things apart, and as far ad I know it isn't particularly harmful. Just wait until it finishes drcomposing then. All you can do.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Guaranteed fix: move somewhere else.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    dead mouse in the walls?
    Fuck that shit. It happened a few time in my old house, and damn, it's gross. It doesnt last that long, but it's annoying and there is nothing you can do about it.

About the OP question, it's really hard to answer your question without smelling the actual odor. If there is carpet somewhere in the room, you might want to wash it. If there is nothing apparent, keep your window open for a while and hope it does the job (humidity often create weird odors).

It's also possible the previous owner had pet living in that room or something...that kind of odor should dissapears quickly thought.

That happened to my friend's new condo. Smelt like durians when you stepped in, but it was completely odorless within 10 seconds.
    Turns out, it was a natural gas leak from her fireplace

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Moon Guard

Definitely don't think it's a mouse because we've been living here 2 and a half weeks and it's the same smell and same consistency.

@Bebeci: As I said, it's only this one room, but how would we find out if we have a gas leak somewhere?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Swarley View Post
    Definitely don't think it's a mouse because we've been living here 2 and a half weeks and it's the same smell and same consistency.

@Bebeci: As I said, it's only this one room, but how would we find out if we have a gas leak somewhere?
    Call the utility company that handles your gas they will come out and check for you for free to see if there is a leak. They have a thing that detects gas and makes a sound. I had to do this in the last house I was renting and found out there were gas leaks behind the clothes drier as well as the stove and all the gas lines under the house were leaking as well.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Moon Guard

I'll definitely look into it. There doesn't seem to be anything in this room that uses gas, but perhaps it's coming from the vents? *shrug* Who knows.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Swarley View Post

Wow 30 minutes and no one said light a match. I'm surprised.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Could be lots of things
    -Mold: check for any discoloration on your walls and ceilings for water damage. Just because it isn't moldy on one side of the wall board doesn't mean it isn't growing on the other side.
    -Dead animal: can't do much if it is in the walls or floor. Could be in the vent ducts.
    -Old air filters: ask the owner if/when the air filters on your ducts has been changed. This ties into the mold possibility since all the shit the filters picks up could accumulate and breed the shit that it's trying to filter.
    -Gas leak: good suggestion to check that out. Does the apartment use gas? Should be your top priority to check off the list if it does.
    -Somebody died in the next apartment over
    -Could be something coming in through your bedroom window. Check the outside of the building to see if there is anything venting into it's general direction.
    -Trash: Does the apartment complex have a trash room, is it close by? As in the other side of the wall from your bedroom?
    -Are all the other adjoining apartments occupied? If they have not been for a long time, the water inside of the 'J' traps in the sinks may evaporate and allow harmful gases to enter into the room and eventually the complex. It's part of a realtor's job to run the water occasionally so this doesn't happen. This is highly unlikely if you don't feel sick from the smell though.

assburgers
    BG Level

Stop peeing in the corner.

Old Merits
    BG Level

...forums hiccuping

assburgers
    BG Level

RANDOM MULTIPOSTS MAKE YOUR HOUSE SMELL MUSTY!

Old Merits
    BG Level

Two words: Bacon wallpaper

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

new carpets smell musky for long time.