+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Character wise i used to use Cloud / Tifa / Vincent

Tifa mainly for her Breaks and Vincent for the pure dmg but tbh towards the end i was using a mixture of everyone because they were all doing about the same for me. I havent played in a while i might just go grab my old ps1 and play a bit before FFXIV hits hehe.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsu Kiyome
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Was it just me or was Red XIII incredibly weak? Even with the best shit, he always paled in comparison to others when I gave him a chance.
    He is. He's the 3rd worst in the game by a long shot (The Bottom 3 are without a doubt Red XIII, Cait Sith, and Vincent).

Red has iffy limit breaks and damage and no longer range. Cait Sith is terrible in everything but raw magic damage (he has the best Magic stat in the game but its honestly negligible) and his only real usefulness comes from the Slot trick to try to get his Instant Kill move. Vincent is just awful end game. He has the lowest stats I believe in every area except Dexterity, in which he's like the 3rd worst. None of his limit breaks are particularly good except for maybe Death Gigas at the halfway point in the game.

Basically, after all the playthroughs I've done, I see the characters like this:

Aeris: Broken. Best support (Hell probably the best character in the game. If they let you keep her the whole game everyone would use her with how absurd her limits are.)
    Cloud: Balanced. Above average at everything.
    Barret: Massive damage. Good against single target enemies (Bosses). Highest damage per single attack in the game.
    Tifa: Massive damage. Not as good at Bosses as Barret but better at group fights.
    Cid: Balanced. Hits harder physically than Cloud but not as good at everything else
    Yuffie: Support. Decent damage from the backrow. Spam that Clear Tranquil!
    Red XIII: Ummm Haste? I don't really know what to do with him
    Cait Sith: Shoot for Slots Trick and try to get an instant-win.
    Vincent: Death Gigas to power through Disc 1 or early Disc 2. Fight Hojo just for shits and giggles. Forget he exists after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coady709 View Post
    I'd take tifa over yuffie anyday but if its not tifa i always choose cid. I cant stand yuffie :/ idk why.
    Yeah I'm not a Yuffie fan either. I never liked using her and I only use her, as I said, when I play for fun or when I try one of those "Challenge Mode" play throughs that players try to test their skills. Yuffie's limit breaks are all really bad except for Clear Tranquil, which is just an exact copy of Aeris/Aerith's Healing Wind.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Cloud, Cid/Barret, Tifa
    For some reason I always made Tifa my healer. :s
    Used Red a few times, Cait Sith like once (and forgot about after... sometimes I forget he was even in the game), Vincent a decent amount, and never used Yuffie.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Warsong

Haha i always made tifa my summoner, aerith my healer, cloud my Damager and when it comes time to use barret i make him my magic user. I always try to make cloud do tha most dmg cause i think hes tha coolest lol

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Cloud Tifa and Vincent or Yuffie in general

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutsumiko View Post
    characters having significant differences
    Eh, none of that matters unless you're forcing artificial handicaps on yourself. I haven't played the game in a long-ass time (or ever taken RPG 'gameplay' seriously), but from what I remember, using words like "broken" or "terrible" for any character is a massive exaggeration. They can all equip the handful of materia that matter and the only real differences were limit breaks. Same with VIII, anyone who wasn't Squall was only there to cast Aura. Think I used Cloud, Tifa/Yuffie, and Red, but even that was only because thought they were "coolest" and didn't want to bother equipping all the characters.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsu Kiyome
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    Eh, none of that matters unless you're forcing artificial handicaps on yourself. I haven't played the game in a long-ass time (or ever taken RPG 'gameplay' seriously), but from what I remember, using words like "broken" or "terrible" for any character is a massive exaggeration. They can all equip the handful of materia that matter and the only real differences were limit breaks. Same with VIII, anyone who wasn't Squall was only there to cast Aura. Think I used Cloud, Tifa/Yuffie, and Red, but even that was only because thought they were "coolest" and didn't want to bother equipping all the characters.
    No you're absolutely right. That's a testament to how easy FF7 really is though. . . that the characters aren't any different. It, and 8, are the only Final Fantasys I can remember where playing through the game normally, character selection never mattered.

As for VIII, again I agree with you with the exception of Zell. His limit break loop makes him better than Squall but most players don't have the patience to sit through it to kill anything so ... yeah... just cast Aura on Squall. Hahaha.

Most of the time though, yeah I just roll with Cloud, Tifa, Cid/Barret because I find them to be the coolest.

BG Level

FFV-FFVII-FFVIII all the char were the same

FFX and FFXII they can become the same lol

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

X had two characters as far as gameplay is concerned: Yuna and NotYuna.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My favorite FFX-2 party was... wait.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

VII Cloud Tifa Yuffie
    VIII Squall Rinoa Zell
    IX Zidane Garnet Vivi Steiner I always end up using them four I want to switch it up and use Zidane Eiko Quina and Freya though

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    My favorite FFX-2 party was... wait.
    http://captionsearch.com/pix/2rub7eoeem.jpg

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Warsong

Haha, i hated X-2 because....well ill go ahead and say what most wont, i didnt like X-2 cause u play as a bunch of annoying chicks, sorry but tha only way you can pull of a girl lead role is in tomb raider lol. Not trying to be a jackass but its true.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Coady709 View Post
    Haha, i hated X-2 because....well ill go ahead and say what most wont, i didnt like X-2 cause u play as a bunch of annoying chicks, sorry but tha only way you can pull of a girl lead role is in tomb raider lol. Not trying to be a jackass but its true.
    Actually, that's why most people hated it. Which is retarded cause I still think it had the best battle system of any FF game. Sad people get hung up on that stuff.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Once you get past the first 1/3 of the game, the story gets a bit darker and it's actually tolerable. The battle system was top notch and I loathe that it was lost, unappreciated, in a game where most people couldn't get through the intro movie.

VI: Edward/Terra/Shadow/Locke (coolest)
    VII: Cloud/Tifa/Cid (heavy hitters)
    VIII: Squall/Quistis/Zell (coolest, I guess)
    IX: Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner (balanced)
    X: Auron/Wakka/Rikku (coolest)
    X-2: Yuna/Rikku/Paine! (lol)
    XII: Balthier/Fran/Basch (coolest)
    XIII: Vanille/Snow/Sazh (coolest and I'm comfortable with their role-combinations)

BG Level

I hated the 2nd disk for a part. The first half where you get into snow mountains and all that shit, is a boring part for me. It always take me forever to beat that part because It bores me so much i play like 15min then I turn off the game

It really sucked how FFVII permanently removed the best character in the game at the end of disc 1.
    Planet Protector/Great Gospel > Omnislash anytime, especially when you can just spam KoR for similiar damage and most regular mobs can be killed with a single Beta/Shadow Flare/Ultima.
    Yeah I know it's for story purposes, but gameplay wise it was still annoying no matter what.
    Aeris was the only character who had good limit breaks other than Cloud and... Barret I guess? Everyone else either had unreliable, gimmick stuff (Caith Sith, Tifa and Vincent) or some flashy attack that was vastly inferior to Omnislash.
    I just cycled party members since I didn't particularly like any character and other than limits they were almost perfect clones.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Warsong

accluly Tifas limit breaks rocked, except when you hit a " miss " god i wanna blow my fucking head off when that happens hahha

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Cloud, Yuffie, and Cid were always in my party.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This thread has made me want to play through it again. A pity I no longer have my copy since (to my knowledge) it's still in the hands of my ex from four years ago. Time to download then.