• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Plug in charger to laptop, starts smoking.

HP G60-117US.

Brother got that for his birthday last year from a girlfriend, and about a month after he got it whenever he plugged it in to charge it started smoking from the spot where you plug it in on the laptop. You could smell it burning also. After that point he gave up and never used it again.

I just found it today after going through some things and a friend of mine has a piece of shit laptop. Since the specs on this aren't too bad (something > nothing), I'd like to try and see what the problem is and fix it.

My concerns are that it happened a month after using it. I'm not sure what happened in that time, but what could cause it to start smoking? Does the thing where it plugs into need to be replaced? i.e. taking apart the laptop, etc.

Halp.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

sometimes on laptops you cant really replace parts on the motherboard [like the ac connector possibly] without replacing the whole motherboard. You could try a replacement power cord and see if that changes anything, make sure the watts/voltage are the same on the new and the old. If it happens with the new cord, then look to see if you can find a repair manual for this laptop and see what it says about the connector. You could also check with the manufacture and see if there is any warranty or known issue for this laptop.

Waiting for tech support to respond atm, slow responses lol Odd that it worked for 2 weeks then started having this problem.

edit: Bringing it to the shop for a free estimate/see what the problem is, meh.