1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 3 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 10 hours, 3 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Ok, to continue from the eighth thread.

Oh right, I forgot about that change.

So I guess STR and DEX are useless for the magic classes?

Which ratio should I go with for VIT/INT/MND/PIE? Or should I just play around, and if I find I'm lacking on one put shit into it the following level? INT seems a lot more useful than anything else at starter levels.
    To add to the allure of MND, it also increases Cures. I'd assume it enhances the same things it does in FFXI but I don't really have any way of testing the others.

Edit: Or at least it did in P2 and P3, haven't really payed attention this time around.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uwen Tribal
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Targeting is a bit easier with a controller set up similar to FFXI PS2 controls. I could never adjust to the keyboard when I made the transition to PC, so I have a couple different USB controllers around here, most with busted D-pads.

To add to the allure of MND, it also increases Cures. I'd assume it enhances the same things it does in FFXI but I don't really have any way of testing the others.
    I was thinking that as well. Not to mention the MP would come in handy if main healing a tough fight.

On an unrelated note. I've found Alchemist is insanely easy and cheap to level.
    1x Muddy Water = 76g
    1x Fire Shard
    Result: 3x Distilled Water = 75g(25 each)

Resulting in a 1g loss per successful synth, netting ~200-250 rank points.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

What's a good amount of EXP for a non-leve mob? I don't know if I'm smacking shit too low a level. Getting around 320-350 per kill.
    That's ok... If you fight shit that feels even-match, you'll probably end up with like 800exp/300~500skill. What you're doing is probably more efficient.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I'm not sure about that, most of these mobs are giving 0 class skill now. I'm just killing anything since I don't know the best EXP camps yet. Doesn't help that I switched from Thanalan to Black Shroud so I could do four more leves.

MND = + cures? Interesting.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uwen Tribal
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I tend to stick to mobs that are high blue or low green. When I first tried green dodos there was yellows nearby as well and I got my ass handed to me. Then again Dodos are insanely evasive and have annoying weapon skills.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

How do you know what's a high blue or low blue? I've pretty much been killing greens so far, except the red leve mobs.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Also, to verify, your class rank will affect how much exp you gain from something. I was grinding away some Grade-1 fishing inside Gridania at Rank-17. I was getting 321 exp every single catch. As soon as I hit Rank 18 each catch was 300 exp.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uwen Tribal
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

By "high blue" I mean mobs that just turned blue after my last rank up. "Low Green" would be mobs that were green before my last rank up, and stayed green.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Uwen View Post
    Dodos are insanely evasive and have annoying weapon skills.
    Sidestep that shit like almost every other moves in the game.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Raising class rank seems difficult. Even leve mobs will give me 1000+ physical rank points but 0 class points.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uwen Tribal
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I've since moved on to moles which are a good bit easier to avoid. They only have the one annoying weapon skill where they burrow into the ground and jump out at you ~5 seconds later, really easy to avoid.

Raising class rank seems difficult. Even leve mobs will give me 1000+ physical rank points but 0 class points.
    Be sure to get Guardian's Favor when doing leves, it increases skill gain(according to the help text.) If you are, then perhaps you are getting skill points and its just bugged out. I remember seeing something like that a few days ago in the last thread.

Yep. That's what everyone has been complaining about. Rightly so, in my opinion.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Uwen View Post
    Be sure to get Guardian's Favor when doing leves, it increases skill gain(according to the help text.) If you are, then perhaps you are getting skill points and its just bugged out. I remember seeing something like that a few days ago in the last thread.
    I did that a couple of times and then stopped, because I'm not sure how long it takes the Favor points to regenerate.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Not gonna' lie, I get hit by Dodos' sleep/slow/blind Belch a ton. Mostly because of lag or getting stuck in an animation... or both. Puks/Squirrels/Opo-opos can be avoided similarly.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uwen Tribal
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It gets a bit easier a little higher. I was getting ~200 class points per kill with little downtime on the moles I mentioned above, which were blue mostly and an occasional green. Also, it was roughly 500 exp each which on scale was less than half the percentage of my skill gains. This was at R.13-15 MRD and Lv17-18 Physical.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Just started playing the beta and maybe these are really noob questions but yeah there is alot of stuff to search thru to find these simple questions I got, any answers be appreciated!

1) Does Nameday or Guardian(Element) directly effect anything with ur character that you cannot change later?

2) No mog house in this game? But you can job change and work on another class at any point just by switching your weapon?

3) Have the taken out being able to use sub-jobs?

3) How do I set up, or can I not use a usb controller in Beta?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uwen Tribal
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

1) Not that I'm aware of, but Guardians all seem to be associated with a class or multiple classes.
    2) No MH. Can change class just by changing weapon as long as you are in passive mode.
    3) SJs are no more, but you can use some class abilities on other classes. I've not done much with it myself yet.
    4) similar to FFXI, in your start menu there is a FFXIV Config program that will aid in your set up

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I just did a leve that involved those moles. They were giving nice EXP.

So how do you get more favor points?

And do you reckon it's worth doing rank 1 leves in retail or skipping them? Because of the 48 hour reset, surely you'd get more gil by grinding to 10 and then doing the rank 10 leves. Maybe even you can do the rank 10 leves before rank 10? What do you think?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

1) Obviously nameday = birthday so it might be some kind of bonus for you come that day. Your Guardian doesn't seem to matter yet although it eventually could and it has been stated that you will be able to change it in the future.

2) No house of any sort yet. Your class is simply and immediately determined by the weapon/tool in your main hand. That's all there is to it.

3) Each ability or trait will tell you what discipline and/or weapon is required to use it regardless of what class learned it. This allows you to use other class' abilities although they will be somewhat weaker, much like sub-jobs' job abilities in XI.

4) dunno lol

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I just did a leve that involved those moles. They were giving nice EXP.

So how do you get more favor points?

And do you reckon it's worth doing rank 1 leves in retail or skipping them? Because of the 48 hour reset, surely you'd get more gil by grinding to 10 and then doing the rank 10 leves. Maybe even you can do the rank 10 leves before rank 10? What do you think?
    I believe Favor naturally regenerates like Anima. You can check when it will raise at any Aetheryte be checking favor.

Unless you're trying to evenly disperse your leve usage between a magic/war discipline and a land discipline, you will run out of leves real quick without doing a shitload of traveling. You will probably get to a point where a Rank~1 leve is all you have left without spending an hour walking to another city (could be even further if they add additional zones). Not to mention, you might want to do even shitty leves just for the equipment rewards and potential treasure chests along the way (capable of containing multiple pieces of equipment).

I had a chest on the way to a Rank~20 fishing leve that I did just for the hell of it contain some Rank~24 boots and Rank~26 slops. Cha-ching.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast