1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 9 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 100 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I've been putting all my elemental points into lightning so far with the thought that it will increase lightning damage. Am I playing this right or is balance better?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I've been putting all my elemental points into lightning so far with the thought that it will increase lightning damage. Am I playing this right or is balance better?
    Elemental Affinity has been discovered to:

Increase __ elemental magic damage (for spells only, not weapon skills like Red Lotus Blade/Seismic Shock)
    Increase __ elemental magic resistance
    Increase odds of __ elemental aetheryte shard/crystal discovery during gathering

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by CrstyCptSteveWitherspoon View Post
    Oh ok cool. Thanks for clarifying that. Yea the caps are pretty high then, unless you have a high P level. I guess the next obvious question is how those guild mark abilities, the ones that swap stat x for stat y, are affected by this cap. I think I have like... 1.2k thaum marks so I can't really help out here.
    Keep in mind it's entirely possible that the cap increases are different past rank 11 (which is the highest I've checked). I dont think there would be much point in the caps if they followed the +2+2+2..+4 progression all the way to rank 50 (since we'd never reach the caps)... unless you start getting +20 points or more to allocate per physical level later, which I guess is also possible.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Elemental Affinity has been discovered to:

Increase __ elemental magic damage (for spells only, not weapon skills like Red Lotus Blade/Seismic Shock)
    Increase __ elemental magic resistance
    Increase odds of __ elemental aetheryte shard/crystal discovery during gathering
    Oh right, saved to Notepad.

I am sure I've just had two dodos stalking me. lol.

Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    BG Level

You're probably right. The thresholds will also reduce the amount of points you'll want to put into each stat. As stated a few threads ago, putting a few points into say STR when you're a mage so you can take advantage of the trait "Convert 10 str to 10 int" will be better worth your stat points than just pumping up INT past 40 or 80. I'm thinking that the stat caps will affect these abilities though.

Edit: Also logged off last night when I hit surplus. Came back on today and no surplus. Xp'd for a while gaining like 10k skill points and still haven't hit surplus. Must have had it reset for me today.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    As mentioned on the first line of the quote, class rank, yea.
    Wow, I whooshed on that one. Jumping back and forth between forums and work and missed that line. Thanks for the clarification.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I'm looking at the ability lists. Looks like Conjurer doesn't get any way of restoring MP and I have to level Thaumaturge for those abilities?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I'm looking at the ability lists. Looks like Conjurer doesn't get any way of restoring MP and I have to level Thaumaturge for those abilities?
    Conjurer: Tranquility, Radiance. Spiritbind halves MP consumption if you want to count that one too.

BG Level

That's my beef here. You get the lv 10 ws, but nothing else. Thaum you get spikes at 16 and syphon mp at 20. Supposedly you get another tier 2 ws like the rank 10 one later on but... I'm not really too impressed with conj anyway. No one really wants you to nuke since they're trying to get skill ups, and curing gives you a lot of skill. I only level conj to 16 for shock spikes/stone skin/protect/shell, then go back to thaum.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Conjurer: Tranquility, Radiance. Spiritbind halves MP consumption if you want to count that one too.
    Radiance isn't even listed in the list I'm looking at, but I've found it's a rank 10 ability. I can't believe I over looked Tranquility.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by CrstyCptSteveWitherspoon View Post
    That's my beef here. You get the lv 10 ws, but nothing else. Thaum you get spikes at 16 and syphon mp at 20. Supposedly you get another tier 2 ws like the rank 10 one later on but... I'm not really too impressed with conj anyway. No one really wants you to nuke since they're trying to get skill ups, and curing gives you a lot of skill. I only level conj to 16 for shock spikes/stone skin/protect/shell, then go back to thaum.
    Maybe I will do the same. I don't want to be a healing, I want to nuke. Is Thaum better at the "BLM" role (with Conjurer's elemental spells) then?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I feel like most of the "earned" abilities via the initial quest are not listed properly in most places. All gathering classes get Wrist Flick, melee jobs get Light ___, and mage jobs get MP restoration.

BG Level

Conj is deff the nuke class, just I don't see much of a point for nuking unless you solo atm. It very well could, and probably will, change down the road at high levels, but for now thaum just seems more fun in the sense that I can tank, debuff, and cure, with a little bit of nuking on the side. I'm pretty sure I'll be leveling pug at release to 10 for taunt so if our tank goes down, I can hold hate, debuff, cure myself, and pop punishing barbs to finish off whatever we're killing. Also having taunt for duo'ing leves with another mage would be great. Pre 14 I was tanking leve crabs with barbs up and doing one hell of a job.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I feel like most of the "earned" abilities via the initial quest are not listed properly in most places. All gathering classes get Wrist Flick, melee jobs get Light ___, and mage jobs get MP restoration.
    Are these level 1 abilities or level 10? I list them as 1 on my website.

Edit: And where do I get Tranquility?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They're rank 1.

BG Level

You get tranq/exhalt by completing some of the first story quest.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Oh my. Wrong thread.

Talk to the NPC that sends you to the first came for your second attack.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

There's definitely gotta' be caps to your attributes when switching back to a Rank-1 class or else you'd just be kicking Incredibly Tough ass with all your points earned through your 20+ levels.
    I've been genuinely very confused about this. My plan since I'm getting the collector's edition and my fiancee is getting the standard is to just fish and craft the first eight days so we can start leveling together when she gets on. The problem is my Physical level is going to be fairly high despite my PGL, GLA, etc being 1. Is this going to horribly upset the balance of partying for us as I will be tearing through everything with high Physical level stats while she struggles to keep up/skill up, or are Rank 1 jobs nerfed with the amount of points you can add to level the playing field?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Those last minute adjustments sure are taking them a while :D Too bad, I'm not gonna see the new patch today prolly.

Kirb

So many people are missing the second ability. They really need to make the quest a lot more clear.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 100 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast