1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 56 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -2 hours, -57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 11 hours, 56 minutes

View Poll Results: Have you noticed the repeated use of the same environmental elements?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • No and it doesn't bother me.

71 42.26%
  • Yes and it doesn't bother me.

65 38.69%
  • Yes and it bothers me. SE are a bunch of lazy Fü¢k$!

32 19.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Forget the landscape, what about this? This is inexcusable! Even at high texture settings, this random piece of paper is unintelligible!

Why go through all the bother to learn a new alphabet, only to be faced with this?!

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...M/b4270c24.png

Furthermore, I am shocked and appalled at the amount of copypasta on a single piece of paper.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It says ADVISES!

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Durotan

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    If you can show me a game where every straw of grass, tree leaves, flower petals rock, mountain side and monster is completely unique, I might considering getting bothered.
    this is not about single grass straws or trees.
    this is about whole 100*100 ft. areas.

lazyness, you are SEs muse!

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Many games do it, never really bothered me as long as mobs are different as I go further out to places infact this makes it easier for me to find ideal exp places.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

I was just watching this benchmarking example of super DirectX.11 tesselated blah blah

But I couldn't enjoy it! The stone patterns repeat, wood planks are copypasta'd, the archways, windows, the roof tiles? They're are all the same. You can see the evergreen trees are identical, the segments of rope? Look closely at them! noooooo SquareEnix has ruined all games forever!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

All I saw was tired steampunk concepts copy/pasted everywhere!

Ignoring bad level design and constantly referring to TEXTURING can only mean: a)ohshi-I already preordered this crap toolate, b)I have a huge hardon for anything that comes out of the SE bakery, or c)I heard their engine has a "make better" button so its nobigdeal, besides my mom will buy me it anyways<3

Sarcasm aside, this obviously won't prevent people from buying this game, but what about those who aren't the established base? Do you think this won't annoy someone looking for the realism advertised only to find shoddy gfx shortcuts like this? It just doesn't make sense to leave out an obvious level design fix that would please their targeted casual base. Even if it delayed the game a month(which is impossible), it would still pay off, being that its permanent and every added instance of repetitiveness= faster lost of interest for the gamer.

I'm a big fan of custom maps and good level design, sorry if it looks like I care too much. I do. Infact, I wish they would've hired me to help out, I totally owned with my Timesplitters custom maps.

Ok, back to fapping to GW2 trailers. mmmm

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I love level/environment design and it was something I came close to getting into, career-wise. I'm aware what goes into it and there's a number of factors that make what's found in XIV acceptable. The primary thing being that 90% of what people are bitching about is only really noticeable because it's drawn on the maps. The other factors being a bunch of shit that I've already explained. I don't think it's going to turn anyone off from the game that wasn't already unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    Sarcasm aside, this obviously won't prevent people from buying this game, but what about those who aren't the established base? Do you think this won't annoy someone looking for the realism advertised only to find shoddy gfx shortcuts like this?
    Pretty much every game does this in some form or another, not really defending it because, yeah I would like to see completely original work and never see reused stuff. But I can understand the reasoning behind it in some cases, it cuts down on cost and lets them focus on something else and get the game out faster. It's not too big of a deal, and people who would flip out about something like that are kind of anal. I mean repetition happens in real life as well, so technically it is realistic to have some repetition in your game world.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I love level/environment design and it was something I came close to getting into, career-wise. I'm aware what goes into it and there's a number of factors that make what's found in XIV acceptable. The primary thing being that 90% of what people are bitching about is only really noticeable because it's drawn on the maps. The other factors being a bunch of shit that I've already explained. I don't think it's going to turn anyone off from the game that wasn't already unimpressed.
    I wanted to do some exploration last night so I ran out from Gridania into the unknown. I headed Northwest to Coerthas. Once in Coerthas I followed the Road stopping at any near by camps. I ended up going to the gates of Ishgard and beyond. Now the entire time I was on the road in Coerthas there was a single rock formation element repeated about 9 times on the way to Ishgard. There wasn't 3-4 rock formations repeated alternating times. It was one rock element and only one rock element used on that road. There is no missing that sort of lazy level design, a couple elements repeated here and there is one thing a single element repeated like that on a freaking road, no one is going to miss that.

It was a fun run though. After seeing only 1 rock formation used on a road, like 9 times in a row I do have to say I'm disappointed in SE. 3 rock formations, would it have been so hard to have 3 to use instead of 1?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Do you think this won't annoy someone looking for the realism advertised only to find shoddy gfx shortcuts like this? It just doesn't make sense to leave out an obvious level design fix that would please their targeted casual base.
    I seriously can't believe anyone but FFXI players care about any of this stuff.

We're the ones that all have bees in our butts over things we feel like SE screwed us over on. Therefore, nitpicking on every little detail that we feel like will "ruin this game too".

Casual players that got turned off by the time sink of FFXI are looking for an FF game that they can play a few hours a day. Not textures.

Basically, you have it reversed. Establish players are the ones bitching to death about everything, casual players that haven't been playing ffxi for 5+ years, are probably not going to give a shit.

New Odin
    BG Level

Forums always make it seem like shit is a big deal. We are an extremely vocal minority at best.

Worst of all, it's not like we actually do anything that would affect companies 9 times out of 10. We just keep playing and bitching until we snap (most of the time). Then start hatin' the game instead.

If someone thinks that's how the majority reacts, lol.

Telliani

as an artist... i'd rather spend billions of hours designing the city then the landscape around it. plant a rock, turn it a few degrees somewhere else, and ...back to designing the shiny city.

I actually haven't noticed it, and still haven't noticed it, and I'm 90% visual for getting some games, sometimes. My friend dragged us up to the Jeuno 2.0 and my first impression was "damnit, now i really DO need to get the game cause this place is amazing". Look at the WHOLE of the area, not the single rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe View Post
    I wanted to do some exploration last night so I ran out from Gridania into the unknown. I headed Northwest to Coerthas. Once in Coerthas I followed the Road stopping at any near by camps. I ended up going to the gates of Ishgard and beyond. Now the entire time I was on the road in Coerthas there was a single rock formation element repeated about 9 times on the way to Ishgard. There wasn't 3-4 rock formations repeated alternating times. It was one rock element and only one rock element used on that road. There is no missing that sort of lazy level design, a couple elements repeated here and there is one thing a single element repeated like that on a freaking road, no one is going to miss that.

It was a fun run though. After seeing only 1 rock formation used on a road, like 9 times in a row I do have to say I'm disappointed in SE. 3 rock formations, would it have been so hard to have 3 to use instead of 1?

How long was this road exactly? And did you set out LOOKING to find something repeated? 90% of the playerbase will be too busy actually looking at the sky, the surrounding mountains, the enemies, talking to other players, alt tabbed reading something, etc etc.

Copy-pasta is just a way of life now in games. It's a pain in the ass when, like someone said about Aion, a mob is used 10x in the span of 3lvls of content or something without even a color change but its not really a big deal that they moved some of the same rocks around. I could go outside and take a few pictures of 10 houses with the same bush out front, or some rocks that are the same on the side of the road, etc.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I could go outside and take a few pictures of 10 houses with the same bush out front, or some rocks that are the same on the side of the road, etc.
    For that matter, have people ever seen a housing development?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    How long was this road exactly? And did you set out LOOKING to find something repeated? 90% of the playerbase will be too busy actually looking at the sky, the surrounding mountains, the enemies, talking to other players, alt tabbed reading something, etc etc.

Copy-pasta is just a way of life now in games. It's a pain in the ass when, like someone said about Aion, a mob is used 10x in the span of 3lvls of content or something without even a color change but its not really a big deal that they moved some of the same rocks around. I could go outside and take a few pictures of 10 houses with the same bush out front, or some rocks that are the same on the side of the road, etc.
    It doesn't really matter how long the road was. I was exploring to take in the sights stopping and looking at the sky, the trees and the mountains. I stuck to the road and was following that because I assumed a road would lead somewhere. Whether you have a short road or a long road if you are going to use a rock formation to add some variety, you aren't accomplishing variety using 1 rock formation. A short road might have 1-3 rock formations a long road could have a dozen. If you have 2-4 rock formations presets and mix those up.

Here is the zone I went from the bottom right corner to the top-center of the map the city of Ishgard gates. I was a long run I spent about 2-3 hours going there and stopping and looking around. 1 repeated rock formation on that road makes it feel like you're in Groundhog Day or something. Now if someone runs this same road and tells me they did not notice the exact same rock formation is used every time, I could only conclude they had some type of brain damage.

rofl, damn its actually worse than I was imagining in my head. No, I don't fall under the category of being stuck with a preorder, the closed beta was enough of a turnoff for me not to throw down an investment. Money don't grow on trees son.

Quit apologizing for a lazy ass art team, its not cost-effective to create a tile for repeating a whole fuckin scene in an MMO that's supposed to give the illusion of a persistent living world.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

a lazy ass art team, its not cost-effective to create a tile for repeating
    Wat.

You're never going to get it.

New Odin
    BG Level

There is no such thing as lazy.

There is only their supervisors telling them what to do. I'm sure you'd be lazy too when there's your job on the line.

Maybe their supervisor was too lazy to tell them to make more rocks? Could be.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I don't think people are complaining because models of rocks, trees, or plants are being reused. People are complaining because entire groups of these things are being copy-pasted all over the map. Reusing models is expected, copy-pasting entire groups of objects all over the area is a different matter.

Nobody would care that the same rock is in Thanalan a hundred times if it wasn't because this rock is always accompanied by the same tree, same cacti, same patch of grass, and same flowers, all in the same position and angle, every single time.

I don't really care, but I can see why some people would. Personally I only started noticing the copy-paste after reading about this.