1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 24 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 22 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes

View Poll Results: Have you noticed the repeated use of the same environmental elements?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • No and it doesn't bother me.

71 42.26%
  • Yes and it doesn't bother me.

65 38.69%
  • Yes and it bothers me. SE are a bunch of lazy Fü¢k$!

32 19.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Are these controversies relevant to your impression of FFXIV

Apparently some players have taken note of the repetitive use of terrain cells in XIV. Viewing the full sized maps is a little shocking. So far in the open Beta I can't say it has limited my enjoyment of the game.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...ut-copy-paste/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...te-map-design/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...l-fantasy-xiv/

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

I really don't care at all. For the most part these are far far away from each other and it doesn't hinder my game play what so ever.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

It doesn't limit my enjoyment, per say, but when I couple it with the fact that SE has enjoyed "cutting a few corners" lately, including with FFXIII's narrow approach, it irks me a bit. There are other games out there that are current-gen and don't seem to be having too many problems handling their technology, so I don't see why SE keeps making such excuses whenever someone criticizes their approach to their recent 7th gen games.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Hasn't really bothered me so far, I don't mind some paths I walk through on my way somewhere being repetetive, as there are plenty of very pretty and unique places in the enviroment as well.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by TStupified View Post
    Hasn't really bothered me so far, I don't mind some paths I walk through on my way somewhere being repetetive, as there are plenty of very pretty and unique places in the enviroment as well.
    This is pretty much what I'm thinking as well. The first time I opened the map I noticed a lot of it seemed copy paste. Once you get out there and explore it doesn't matter though. It's almost nitpicking at this point. Just get out there and have fun. >.>

Old Merits
    BG Level

While out exploring a few times I did a:

Huh?!?! Where am I? I thought this places was to the south east. I'd check the map and realize I was right; there was another spot that looked the same else where, but it didn't bother me enough to care.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

This is retarded. People are only getting sandy vaginas about this because the environment is beautiful enough to look at for more than a split second. This is getting blown entirely out of proportion just because talking shit about the XIV beta is the cool thing to do right now. You would have to be incredibly naive to deny every other game with zones half the size as these don't do the same goddamn thing.

Seriously? This is a complaint? I linked this in the other thread not knowing this one was here but....really? Every game reuses things nowadays. I'll complain when SE begins to recycle all the armor/monsters over and over like they do in console games...till then, I don't really give a damn about this.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I think it is more of an issue with the Japanese players. All those marked up maps are coming from them. I don't think NA or EU players are bothered by it even if we notice a lot of identical rocks or ponds.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I'll complain when SE begins to recycle all the armor/monsters over and over like they do in console games...till then, I don't really give a damn about this.
    Umm, should have already started some time ago then?

Don't mad though!! I got used to that long ago, reusing is a everyday reality of a jRPG gamer ;<

Vuitton

I expect graphics to be reused in an MMO. Hell, even single player games have this. Ever try and make a map with the War Craft, Star Craft, or Command and Conquer map editors? Its the same thing.

I think people are forgetting that an environment has a lot of similar things in it that sets it apart from other environments. Ul'dah has a lot of star shaped mountains and j-shaped ridges. Awesome! Who cares? It makes the geography as a whole unique. Gridania is a labrynth of passage ways that curve around and empty out into small glens and meadows that have the same shape but a different layout of flowers/trees. Who cares? It looks amazing and adds to the feeling of being lost in the woods. I never think "oh this all looks the same god i hate SE". I think "wow, look at all these trees and I can't even see the sky. What a cool maze."

People need to douche the sand out of their dry vaginas.

Edit:

They reskinned the marmots?!

They reskinned the crabs?!

They reskinned the armors?!

Welcome to MMOs! FFXIV is not unique in this.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you can show me a game where every straw of grass, tree leaves, flower petals rock, mountain side and monster is completely unique, I might considering getting bothered.

Its not exactly news that game developers use the same skin model - or even design - for various things. Not to drag real-life examples in to things (I find them stupid), but dogs are just reskinned wolves. There's over 50 breeds of rabbits, and over 5000 species of crabs in the world. Reused ideas suck, the world is too bland and boring. (Yes, bad example, and I am ironic).

Edit: My point is - if you'd make everything in a game unique, the amount of time and resources it would require with today's technology, the game would be outdated by the time it hits the market. I don't think there's a single game on the market that does not reuse models - albeit admittedly some may be better at hiding it than SE.

The problem with FFXIV is that they are not even to hide this worthless junk. In FFXI it was not as obvious (it was not obvious) as this. They could, at the very least, try to hide these copy pastas.

Old Merits
    BG Level

FFXI is the MMO I have spent the most time in. I've also played WoW, AoC, Warhammer and LoTRs. I have to say FFXI was the game I felt had the best environmental layouts.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by sy.ste View Post
    The problem with FFXIV is that they are not even to hide this worthless junk. In FFXI it was not as obvious (it was not obvious) as this. They could, at the very least, try to hide these copy pastas.
    You don't get it. It was not as obvious in something like FFXI for multiple reasons.

a: the maps fucking sucked and were incredibly low-res and vague, not detailing any terrain whatsoever
    b: the environments weren't 1/100 as detailed
    c: no one gave a shit and even paid attention to it because it was just terrain, shit to be walked on, not looked at
    d: these zones are 10 times as large

As soon as they make the game this beautiful and cause people stare at the random bullshit ponds and rocks, people start to go "...huh, I they reused this rock I think, I've stared at a rock that looked just like this"

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    You don't get it. It was not as obvious in something like FFXI for multiple reasons.

a: the maps fucking sucked and were incredibly low-res and vague, not detailing any terrain whatsoever
    b: the environments weren't 1/100 as detailed
    c: no one gave a shit and even paid attention to it because it was just terrain, shit to be walked on, not looked at
    d: these zones are 10 times as large

As soon as they make the game this beautiful and cause people stare at the random bullshit ponds and rocks, people start to go "...huh, I they reused this rock I think, I've stared at a rock that looked just like this"

I do this in real life. I see a rock and I am like "fuck you God, this rock is just a copy of that other rock I saw on the other side of town", because all rocks look the same to me.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    I do this in real life. I see a rock and I am like "fuck you God, this rock is just a copy of that other rock I saw on the other side of town", because all rocks look the same to me.
    Then you essentially "cancel your pre-order" by putting a shotgun in your mouth?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I just don't understand how people can be upset about things like this. Be thankful or the game was gonna come out 10 + year from now.

My take on why its hard to get past some people's minds is: this is a heavily funded, visually-promoted, branded game that has been in dev for a decent amount of time already. Recycled geometry chunks are obviously fine, recycled "scenes" is just lazy and inexcusable for 2010.

I bet even Guild Wars2 will have less detectable clonestamping than this game. MMO's shouldn't get a free pass when system limitations is no longer an excuse for visual shortcomings.

Not a dealbreaker for purchase, but the theme of "underwhelming" and "half-assed" is concurrent with other basic functionality in-game. Makes you wonder just what the hell they were doing for all those years.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    Makes you wonder just what the hell they were doing for all those years.
    Guildleves!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast