1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 58 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 19 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 14 hours, 58 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crafting required?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

u should try it at least i could be a little annoying sometimes but is feel good to make ur own gear

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Do the crafting leves count toward your total? If they don't I can see myself actually leveling a craft in my leve downtimes despite crafting being something I generally don't engage in.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

DoL share their leves with the Battle leves. DoH have their own section.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    Do the crafting leves count toward your total? If they don't I can see myself actually leveling a craft in my leve downtimes despite crafting being something I generally don't engage in.
    can do like.. 4 leatherworking leve's in 1 city, then go to another and 4 more leather working leve's to power level while doing 4 10/20/30 leve's per city (total 8 faction(kills stuff) and 8 local(crafting) leves

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

There are people in my group who aren't touching crafting, and then there's people like me who never crafted in XI and now only look at Battleleves as a means of getting more gil to fund crafting. I adore crafting in XIV. I chase down my friends to repair their gear.

It's hugely convenient, very fun, and while the menu lag sucks, try crafting in the Market Wards. Far less lag.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post

and while the menu lag sucks, try crafting in the Market Wards. Far less lag.
    ^ this

I actually just thought of trying that yesterday and the results were fantastic :D And it was fun, even if only for that time, to watch my old rag play the game in full fps D;

You should craft if only to take advantage of the 8 leves every 48 hours. You earn boatloads of Phys XP, like thousands per successful synth. Just getting a needle will let you fully repair almost all your beginner gear for peanuts, and until the AH opens and the economy goes into full swing, you may have to quest/create your armor, and build your own weapons. Or buy them at ripoff prices.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Leves aren't going to be a good source of gil for long, since everyone can do them. Getting 10k as a reward in XIV will be like XI's 300 gil quest rewards. Gear and other items will just cost hundreds of thousands rather than tens of thousands.

Crafting isn't required if you know the right people, but longterm it will be the way to go for gil.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The advantage of leves is that you can do them every 48h which means an easy and steady income of gil. Finding that in FFXI was... difficult at times

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

There is no guarantee the NPC prices and rewards for leves will be the same in release, however. As I recall NPC prices changed between P3 and OB. Regardless of the actual number, the ratio will more than likely remain the same, and in the beginning, when they need to, leve rewards will have an impact.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

the problem with crafting right now is the unknowns on the recipes for gears. And it will last atfer retail for a while until good wiki databases are made. Right now either the gear is extremely easy to make ( recipes all over, ingredients sold by NPC cheap), or recipes are somewhat secret ( only given by HL guildleves) with obescure ingredients that nobody knows how to get, and this kind of gear will be sold for very high money until people figure it out.

So yeah it is *really* easy to level any craft right now, there are skill ups recipes everywhere, but that is not enough to make crafting worthwhile IMO, you also have to do tons of research to craft what peole want etc... so its a full time 'job', not a side money maker activity. Especially if you consider that you need to level almost all craft to make stuffs. So personnaly in the end im probably not gonna bother with it, and do like in FF11, and get my money through farming, questing etc...

Crafting will not be for everyone ( like in FFXI basically).

Quote Originally Posted by mdkuser View Post
    Crafting will not be for everyone ( like in FFXI basically).
    Excellent, then all the more reason to craft. The exclusivity = more profit

The biggest problem right now is finding ingredients. A comprehensive AH will both break open the crafting market, and hurt it in that you don't need carpentry/goldsmithing/miner/botanist/alchemist/weaver to be a blacksmith anymore

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    Excellent, then all the more reason to craft. The exclusivity = more profit

The biggest problem right now is finding ingredients. A comprehensive AH will both break open the crafting market, and hurt it in that you don't need carpentry/goldsmithing/miner/botanist/alchemist/weaver to be a blacksmith anymore
    Yeah, the early days will be like the wild-west. I would think that on release having crafting linkshells might become commonplace.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Is there any benefit to starting as a DoH class? you still need to pick up a weapon and level DoW to run leves and earn gil/items for your craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sign View Post
    Is there any benefit to starting as a DoH class? you still need to pick up a weapon and level DoW to run leves and earn gil/items for your craft.
    DoH classes level absurdly fast, with tons of xp. Plus they get you craft materials that the NPCs are charging thousands of gil for, and some they don't have at all.

Here's how I'd do it though: Have a macro that equips your main weapon and all your moves, and have a macro for your DoH weapon. Whenever you come across a spot, you can macro in your piece, hit up the spot for points/items, then jump right back into fighting.

No fighting the UI Equipment screen, just in and out in 30 seconds. I wouldn't be Botanist Man exclusively, no.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That is DoL classes and I already do that while on MRD. I was talking about DoH classes, ie crafters. I just don't see the benefit of starting as a crafter. If you could go the entire game as a crafter then maybe but as it stands you still need to be a DoW class to earn the gil to fund crafting.

Oh lord, wow I misread that.

Well at the very least, you get 8 crafting leves/day, and successful synths are sometimes two thousand xp. Plus, even just getting a needle, or a saw, or a head knife lets you repair nearly all of your armor to full (low-midrange gear costs can be over 6000 gil, and just for 75%).

On that basis I say yes. Day 1 you are going to max out your DoW leves in an hour or two, whatcha gonna do? The nice part is you don't need to seriously raise your crafts to do these basics. It's just more power to you, I think.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Someone needs to make a crafting guide or something. I am interested but I remember all this talk about quality and durability and then there's the business of finding/farming mats. It just seems daunting to just jump in, just like it was in FFXI.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    Someone needs to make a crafting guide or something. I am interested but I remember all this talk about quality and durability and then there's the business of finding/farming mats. It just seems daunting to just jump in, just like it was in FFXI.
    the finding mats part can be kinda a pain only because I think they're hiding a bunch of them (half the recipes I can "make" with carpentry have one item no one knows how to get/make.) I'd assume it's because they don't want everything known on release. So I'm not too sure how hard it'll be on release.

Gathering classes are way easier than ffxi though. Mostly for 4 reasons:

1. there's a fuckton more points to gather from

2. you can share points with other players (so you never feel like your camping against people).

3. you get an ability that will tell you where there is one around you ( ex. 56 yalms to the east) that you can hit every 10 seconds.

4. each point can usually gives you 5 yields, in which each yield can give multiple items.

I actually kinda worry that gathering can give you too much because I think there's going to end up being way more supply than there is demand. But that's just a guess.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    the finding mats part can be kinda a pain only because I think they're hiding a bunch of them (half the recipes I can "make" with carpentry have one item no one knows how to get/make.) I'd assume it's because they don't want everything known on release. So I'm not too sure how hard it'll be on release.

Gathering classes are way easier than ffxi though. Mostly for 4 reasons:

1. there's a fuckton more points to gather from

2. you can share points with other players (so you never feel like your camping against people).

3. you get an ability that will tell you where there is one around you ( ex. 56 yalms to the east) that you can hit every 10 seconds.

4. each point can usually gives you 5 yields, in which each yield can give multiple items.

I actually kinda worry that gathering can give you too much because I think there's going to end up being way more supply than there is demand. But that's just a guess.
    I haven't tried botany or mining yet but when you find a point and gather at it, does the point disappear like in FFXI or does it simply become unusable for you and others can still get that point? Basically are you competing for points again?