1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 9 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 14 hours, 2 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 7 hours, 2 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

FFXIV Tactics: Understand The Fatigue System [VIDEO]

I claim no rights to this video, someone at Zam with the name 'chrismalazarte' submitted it to Youtube. I think all the naysayers and stuff should watch it. It's what we already know in a simplified video. Thought I'd share it here, did a quick search and didn't see anyone post it.

Probably should make a sticky or sticky this video in my honest opinion.

nice production values

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Even though the point is supposed to be that casual players can still progress and enjoy the higher level stuff without being left behind by the people that can play 15 hours a day, the disadvantage is still given in the video. If I can play only 2 hours a day then I can play one job, if I can play 15 hours a day then over a x month period after I have leveled all possible jobs then my single Gladiator will still have a superior advantage over the person who only averaged 2 hours a day and has only the one job leveled. I guess the balance is limiting the abilities that can be equipped, either I can only have Gladiator abilities or I can use a combination from several jobs to adjust for my play style. I personally don't have an issue with the system though just pointing out what seems apparent to me. Nice editing on the video though!

Personally I'm not trying to race anyone to the top so I could care less just looking forward to launch.

Honestly, I'm going to thank you for the vid post because until just now I still had no real fucking clue how the fatigue system worked.

TF2 font. Hah.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Video looked nice at 1080.

Sagacious Sundi

This made me dislike the system a lot less. Maybe it's just the production value.

BUT, all they need is some tweaking (like not reaching 0) and maybe then it can be "revolutionary". lol

And now that I think about it, this actually would have been better in XI than XIV because it would promote people not to have underleveled support jobs. >_> (Not necessarily a non-gimp one, though. They could still be SMN/WAR or something.)

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by MakinBaconNeked View Post
    Even though the point is supposed to be that casual players can still progress and enjoy the higher level stuff without being left behind by the people that can play 15 hours a day, the disadvantage is still given in the video. If I can play only 2 hours a day then I can play one job, if I can play 15 hours a day then over a x month period after I have leveled all possible jobs then my single Gladiator will still have a superior advantage over the person who only averaged 2 hours a day and has only the one job leveled. I guess the balance is limiting the abilities that can be equipped, either I can only have Gladiator abilities or I can use a combination from several jobs to adjust for my play style. I personally don't have an issue with the system though just pointing out what seems apparent to me. Nice editing on the video though!

Personally I'm not trying to race anyone to the top so I could care less just looking forward to launch.
    Where is the problem?

The purpose of the system isn't to make everyone equal, it's both to make content more accessible to casual players and force hardcore players to follow the paradigm that SE set out.

Casual players are the biggest cash cow for MMO developers, thus the increasing trend towards being casual-friendly, but it's the hardcore crowd that drives bug fixes, balance tweaks, and the development of new and interesting content. Without throwing a few bones (namely, superiority) towards the hardcore players, the developer risks alienating a relatively small but important part of their player base.

The FFXIV equivalent of HNMLSs will not be populated by casual players, which is sort of like saying that water is, in fact, wet. The lack of playtime will put them at a disadvantage and make them less desirable for recruitment, but conversely they won't be so far behind that catching up is impossible.

To be honest, the surplus system is a stereotypically SE way of dealing with a problem facing all MMO developers, and while what they've done will undeniably be effective (especially as a use for surplus/bonus XP is implemented), it isn't the most elegant or palatable way of solving said problem.

The video's little "revolutionary" bit at the end is just straight-up ass kissery, and reeks of bullshit. It's not a revolutionary system, or doing the players any favors, but it isn't the doom and gloom that people make it out to be. It's also a relatively pissant thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things, as there are much bigger fish SE needs to fry to have a successful launch and maintain enough player base to actually develop FFXIV into a solid MMO. Unfortunately the gaming public isn't as patient or as understanding as it once was, so SE's work is cut out, and the surplus system is easily tweaked once the bigger hurdles are cleared, if it proves to be too intrusive.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Alma, I kinda agree, but if casual players are the biggest factor for SE, then why is this game so amazingly similar to FFXI in terms of its archaic design choices? Clunky UI, no real mouse support, terrible keyboard controls, and an overall old-fashioned system that promotes endless running around to figure things out rather than fleshed-out quality tutorials?

I ask this with no real problems with surplus, especially since, while I got it when I hit 16, it was gone within a day and a half on my conj, and I fully intend to level multiple classes come launch, so it won't be a big issue for me.

I was preparing for some Square Enix propaganda to be spewed into my headset, but gawt dayumn was I wrong. Someone finally uses Youtube to communicate an idea clearly and with detail. I guess I'll wait 20 years for someone to do this again.

Great video. Narration by Kevin Spacey made it even better lol

Yeah, I'm still wondering how they got Kevin Spacey.

Rainbow Dash was here,
    Applejack is a silly filly.

BG Level

"Revolutionary ... Freedom" got me, never laughed so hard

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

How can someone note that this system 'places limits on you' and in the same video say that the system 'promotes freedom'?
    I hope you guys eat this right on up for Square's sake but... it's not revolutionary (been tried and failed before) and it doesn't promote freedom in any way.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Meh, this system in the end doesn't really "promote freedom" all too much. It's kind of like FFXI with gimped subs. You could either level your main to 75 and have no sub, or have a 75/37 job and be a lot better. Just replace sub with abilities from other classes. All we see now is a new type of gimp.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

SE should outsource all of their presentation style posts to this website lol.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I think some people are just upset they can't power level and pull an all nighter to get straight to end game content, but they don't realize you're going to end up leveling the other disciplines with the same amount of time as if there wasn't a fatigue system. The way the open beta is currently set up, you'll go broke unless you level up other disciplines to repair your own armor, which does take LOTS of time. I'd prefer FF14's horizontal-like system over the normal, vertical growth system just because... it's something a lot more different than all the same crappy rip-offs out there. The best way to look at this system is that the hardcore players will get way more talent points to learn many more abilities in the talent tree compared to a casual player. It's so much better than having your WHOLE point of leveling focused on reaching max level, only to be probably overwhelmed with regret on wasting all that time grinding endlessly to get their as fast as possible. I have to say too much of a certain MMO has influenced what we expect from new MMOs these days... it's not all about getting to the end game as fast as possible while ignoring all the content inbetween. FF14's system has also made it so all gear, the higher level it is, gets a massive repair bill as well (unless you have time to repair it yourself), so you probably want to keep the low lvl gear lying around if you're not rich. Now people aren't just going to breeze through content like it's nothing and throw away all their gear. It kinda makes me happy inside seeing a lot of comments on other websites saying, "oh god i'm not going near this...". Thank god cuz those are the retarded players who want to be rewarded for every little thing in the least amount of time, and I'm glad SE is not subservient to those idiotic suggestions, which makes the game too casual friendly. You want to be feel truly rewarded for things in the game, then don't listen to the majority of the player base, or we'll end up getting 30 percent HP and healing buffs for content that's too hard and makes players whine. "Oh they raised the buff from 20 to 30% .. yayyy now we can kill it!!!" .... PLAIN FACE. This fatigue system is great, so live with it or gtfo.

New Odin
    BG Level

The ending could have been done better imo.

It doesn't promote "freedom" any more than other MMO's do, but it promotes a different kind of "freedom" while limiting something else. It's a trade-off, and everyone of us can choose themselves whether they want to play an MMO with the "normal" vertical growth or this game with it's horizontal growth.

Pretty good video overall though.

it's not revolutionary (been tried and failed before) and it doesn't promote freedom in any way.
    Where? Also, do you really think the lower exp curve doesn't promote freedom of horizontal growth? IMO it does, much more-so than FFXI ever did.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

WoW beta had a similar fatigue system, they realized before even releasing the game how retarded it is to place such limits on the player and decided to go with rewarding casuals rather than punishing anyone. Sure, WoW doesn't have the cross-class shit but this doesn't add to or take anything away from that. Even without fatigue I'd still be able to level other classes and gain their abilities. (In fact, I'd be able to do it faster)

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    WoW beta had a similar fatigue system, they realized before even releasing the game how retarded it is to place such limits on the player and decided to go with rewarding casuals rather than punishing anyone. Sure, WoW doesn't have the cross-class shit but this doesn't add to or take anything away from that. Even without fatigue I'd still be able to level other classes and gain their abilities. (In fact, I'd be able to do it faster)
    I don't agree. Horizontal progressive system is the only way this can work, and WoW did not have such a system. Sure, you could start another character when you hit the fatigue, but that sounds much more stupid than what we have here.

In a primarily vertically progressive game, this system would be game-breaking. You need some kind of horizontal growth or shit just doesn't work.

Also, as the video said, maybe you could do that but casuals would not. The developers would have to control the exp curve in a different way, which means more vertical grind. That would not promote horizontal growth, it would hurt it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast