• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Timeouts, failed Tracert, haywire connection?... Any way to fix? Windows 7 64-bit

I have been having an ongoing battle with my ISP, but before I start pointing any major fingers I'm wondering if its a problem on my end or a problem on the ISPs end, or faulty cables. Can any networking guru tell me why all this crazy shit is happening? Would faulty cables do this to my connection?

http://img69.imageshack.us/f/timeout.png

and can anyone decipher this mess?

http://img706.imageshack.us/f/networkfail.png/

Any help would be much appreciated, as I have been trying to play the FFXIV beta for more than 2 minutes before it disconnects, as with other games as well.

Thanks for anything in advance!

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

looks like your modem... first hop in the tracert is obviously your router (you have a belkin eh?) then it would goto your modem... seems like your modem is dying/needs rebooted/is a pos/etc try rebooting it if you havent already (fully unplugging everything. make sure all lights are off) failing this, try connecting directly to it and see what happens, failing this, call your isp and have it replaced

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It could be two things, by looking at your two screencaps:

- Change your IP on your local network to something totally different, don't use 192.168.x.x. Your local network's IP range could be conflicting with another device on your network not using DHCP.
    - The firewall within your modem (provided by your ISP) is failing over and dropping your connection. If you have AT&T and have the gigantic huge retarded modem this is a common problem. Call your ISP regardless and ask them about it. They will have the exact log of requests from their cloud to you on their side, depending on weither or not you get a competent help desk person when you call.

Questions to you;

Is this only dropping on FFXIV (and newer games) or is it a reoccurring problem, even when you're just browsing the internet?

Is your Belkin router wireless & secured with WEP/WPA?