Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My favorite was CCA without a doubt and the beach area was one of the most stunning areas ever created for it's time. Seabed was the shit too because you honestly felt you were going in deeper when you go from this serene aquarium looking place to an almost sewer-like area that suffered damage from some bio-weapon outbreak which is what essentially happened.

Also if that long hallway with the lone Delbiter and two traps didn't make you sigh everytime you got there, you're lying. (Unless you were me on Whitill trying to get a Rika's Claw which I was able to get after grinding it for a week straight.)

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Haha. That long hallway and then the long hallway right before Falz in the Ruins always makes me go "Oooh yeah, it's time, bitches!"

Ep4 had none of that. It was just mass mob spam and hope you didn't get ganked by something on Ult (spoiler alert: you would be)

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Nerd rabble in 3..2..

They need to drop all the photon arts from PSU, because one thing that ruined it for me was watching people spam those moves where they zip around on the screen and do backflips and cartwheels and there's lights and confetti and then it all only does as much damage as 3 regular hits, BUT THEN THEY DO IT AGAIN RIGHT AS IT ENDS. I really really really liked the personal shop/house thing from PSU, so much that I wish that's how ff14 worked. You basically had a mog house that you could completely renovate, change the style/room layout/music, decorate with items you found kinda like in 11. And your mag was a shopkeeper that had all your items listed for sale.

Also, comparing PSO to PSU, PSU was way too..... hmmm. PSO would be on sci-fi, where PSU would be on cartoon network, if that makes sense. Better detail/graphics? Sure. But kinda watered down with the items/weapons, storyline like a cliche' anime... PSO had something of a mystery and maybe even horror elements (episode 2) but PSU was all "fuck that shit we got Magashi, best bad guy ever, this bitch is like Sigma from megaman x series, cunt will NEVER DIE". PSO had a more original story/atmosphere, kinda like the other phantasy star games. It felt more "grown up" than PSU ever did.

Really it would already be so amazing if they just had all of the weapons and armor from PSO in PSO2, maybe with some "ascended" versions way later on in levels. Photon Arts I'm fine with if they are nerfed to fuck because its like watching a samurai with meikyo shisui up 24/7 running around with one of every weapon and every weaponskill at his/her disposal. Dunno how I feel about crafting, it was pretty shitty, maybe a complete re-work of the crafting system and it only works with items that aren't like.... dark flow, heaven's punisher, shit like that. Leave the originals alone, keep them hard to get. And the damn level cap needs to stay high as shit and be that way at launch. Some of the bosses in PSU were pretty damn cool, like the 2 headed bi-element dragon, or the big mech guy. Onmagoog or w/e his name was.... ugh... no. If anyone remembers east/west tower missions, the big flower monsters that were like scorpions or whatever, a big boss thing like that would be cool too! (I'm thinking biolante from the godzilla movies..)

/rabble

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Flower fuckers in Ep2 towers can eat a giant dick on Ult. EAT A DICK. Seriously. Fuckers were beyond annoying. If I didn't have a Holy Ray to pick them apart, I would have raged HARD. Oh, a hunter wants to do the tower? Have any guns? No? Go fuck yourself because you are better off doing that than trying the tower. :3

I agree about the house/mog house like feature> That was cool. So was the loli that followed you around. Photon Arts did indeed suck dick. After you got past the 'oo, so pretty'.. they were USELESS. Weapon crafting wasw a cock too because of how easily you could fail even at the easier crafts.

You basically nailed how bad PSU was to a T, and the comparison with Sci-Fi/CN works too. CN's terrible anyway, so PSU was too and that fits.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I thought Photon Arts were handled better in PSP2 (never played PSP), where melee Photon Arts were decent, but became nasty points of damage when normal attack chains were built up. Make them finishers, not spammable shit piles.

The sore spot of the system was that it prevented any gun or tech users from using their shit, because spells and special ranged attacks were treated as Photon Arts too. If they could possibly separate this out somehow, I think it could work a bit better.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Yeah, Asai you got pretty much every complaint and high point I could've thought of.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

all i want in life is a good offline Phantasy Star V. and it'll never happen. fuck me.

although i will be watching for this, and i agree with basically this entire thread, please be closer to PSO than PSU.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I agree with Asai too except on one point and that's PAs.

I think they should stay but maybe get a nerf (which you stated so we go agree on that note). I don't think there's anything wrong with flashiness in a game as long as it's done in moderation. I think the first two generations of PAs were fine, after that ST just went balls out releasing the most ridiculous ideas they could think of to put in which was unnecessary. Also some were annoying as shit due to knock back but that had more to do with the people you were playing with not being considerate and/or people only leveling their PAs when playing with other people. When I played with my set group, we dominated because we were a diverse group as far as jobs and we made sure everyone was getting exp by the end of the day and leveled our PAs on our own time.

On that same note, mages should be switched back to the TP system because of a few reasons.

- Mages having their techniques linked to their weapons was stupid. Their spells shouldn't have been linked to their weapons and weapon switching lag was something that hurt mages the most when shit got out of hand and you had the inevitable slowdown moments and you'd be sitting there running around like an asshole because you have to wait for your rod or wand to load before you can cast.

- Another thing that hurt mages in PSU was that stupid-assed limit on how many mobs they could hit at the same time with AoEs and the range. If you're gonna give melee strong AoE abilities then it's kinda illogical to put a limit on the mages because they had the constant problem of racing to tag mobs for exp instead of actually trying to do damage if they were focused on nuking.

- Last, the mages and the rangers should be the only ones that use technique discs (rangers for elemental shots) but that's just my opinion that I'm not gonna really try to argue for. >BO

Honestly though, my biggest issue with Phantasy Star games is that the dev team make no attempt to talk to their players but that's another problem altogether.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Fuck you. What do you mean Rangers and Forces as the only ones to use Tech discs? So Hunters shouldn't get Resta/Anti? That'd be beyond stupid. Eat a dick if that's what you meant.

If not, then my bad.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rezn0r View Post
    all i want in life is a good offline Phantasy Star V. and it'll never happen. fuck me.
    ^

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Fuck you. What do you mean Rangers and Forces as the only ones to use Tech discs? So Hunters shouldn't get Resta/Anti? That'd be beyond stupid. Eat a dick if that's what you meant.

If not, then my bad.
    I forgot about that tbh. lol

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

"- Mages having their techniques linked to their weapons was stupid. Their spells shouldn't have been linked to their weapons and weapon switching lag was something that hurt mages the most when shit got out of hand and you had the inevitable slowdown moments and you'd be sitting there running around like an asshole because you have to wait for your rod or wand to load before you can cast. "

I hated this. God help you if you needed a spell when it mattered.. Or your wand/mag ran out of PP. Also if you wanted to use a separate spell from normal, having to go link it and then remember which out of 5 rods was the spell you wanted to link it to..
    Also some of the PAs were just stupid, and blah.

I didn't hate the game (yay for awesome people), I just hated how empty it felt 99% of the time.. Having to hunt down people to do something or even find the current mission fad sucked so bad.

I know PSU sucked. A lot.

But (and I don't think I'm alone here), by the time they got to Portable 2/Infinity, the game was awesome.

I'd definitely play a game like that online. A lot.

But yeah, I hope this game is good. Also, I don't believe Sonic Team (the Sonic Team that has sucked ass in recent years) are the only/direct/whatever developer.

Please make this good, Sega.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Yah, I can't wait to see how this goes, they did do much better with the portable game.

I bet a massive name list will pop on this thread when it releases!

yeah I guess PSP2/PSP2i is alot more refined than PSU and had a lot less of the bullshit.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

PSP2 wasn't terrible, I'll admit, I played the hell out of the demo with AoE and some other people but the thing never really got it's claws deep enough into me to keep playing and buy the retail release.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm a bit biased I guess since I played PSO since early Dreamcast days through to BB, and yet have never touched PSP2 or PSPi. And @ AoE, yea flashyness is fine, hell I kinda liked the "sudden pause cutscene" when you would do a summon in PSO, but like you said, yes, gatta moderate that shit hardcore. Again idk how PSP2 or PSPi handled PA's but just from PSU and AoI it kinda left me feeling.... well.... the ONLY thing that could have made it worse at that point, is if every character spamming a PA is shouting off the name of the PA in-game.... "SHINING PEACOCK ATTACK!" "SHINING PEACOCK ATTACK!" "SHINING PEACOCK ATTACK!"

It's sad I've actually seen a few rpg's like that....

But also yea I'm FoMar all the way, so within my first 5 minutes of PSU when I realized I didn't even have PP anymore and it was ALL weapon-based.... I instantly did not feel like this was a phantasy star game. It was suddenly like some japanese version of Tron.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Remove this post.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

In PSP2. You build up combos by hitting things with normal attacks, and the higher the combo the more damage a photon art did. It was a really good system, because using photon arts was practically worthless without comboing. If you had 4 people chaining hits with fast weapons then all busting out a photon art finisher it did a shit ton. It meant spamming them was pointless and also rewarded some minor cooperation. And yeah, I loved playing Force in PSO and hated it myself in PSP2. It did get better later in but it still never quite captured how awesome you felt in PSO. But at the same time, Force was HORRIBLE in PSO at a low level too. If you didn't give yourself a pre-leveled MAG you were gimp as fuck initially there too, I think a lot of people forget that part.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Gimp as fuck at low level Force doesn't even describe. Seemed like the reason most people would level shit before leveling up a FO so it'd give them the leg up. Otherwise, gimp city or you'd need someone higher level to take you to do shit like TTF.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast