BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Windows only boots with 1 stick of RAM

I built this computer a few weeks ago. It started up first time no problem and has been running fine ever since.

So 3 days ago, I turned my computer on and it was powering on (fans start, LEDs light up, HDD spins) but windows doesn't start. So I turn it off and turn it back on and Windows starts up this time.

2 days ago, same thing happens only it takes 20 minutes of turning the computer on and off for Windows to start.

Yesterday, I'm at it for another 15 minutes and then try to diagnose the problem. I found out that the computer will now only start with 1 stick of RAM in. It wasn't a bad RAM stick because I tried both sticks individually and it wasn't a problem with the slots because I tried both slots individually. I see people saying to clear the CMOS which I did and it fixed the problem.

Today, the same thing happens. I don't really want to clear the CMOS every time I turn the computer on. Any idea what the problem is? Thank you.

Processor: Pentium i5 750
    Mobo: MSI H55-G43 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130271)
    RAM: 2x CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1333C9A G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TW3X4G1333C9AG)
    HDD: 1TB F3 Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM SATA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-185-_-Product)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 460 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-563-_-Product)
    PSU: Cooler Master 750W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0master%20750W)

Old Merits
    BG Level

Install 7 64bit.

If that doesn't work, get a new mobo.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Install 7 64bit.

If that doesn't work, get a new mobo.
    This.

Return it as soon as possible so you can get a replacement mobo. Or test the RAM in another computer & get that replaced. More than likely it's the motherboard, though.

I don't see what 64bit has to do with it.

Are you using the *correct* slots Xerlic? like both blues or both blacks

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Yes. According to the manual, when using 1 or 2 sticks of RAM, I use the black slots 2 and 4. The computer boots when there's a stick in either slot 2 or slot 4 but not both unless I clear the CMOS as said above.

If clearing the CMOS fixes it temporarily the most likely culprit is a bad Bios chip, RNA the motherboard or call tech support for a replacement chip.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I've seen several new mobo's not work at all with a 32bit OS, 'tis why I recommended it. And it's "free."

i had a very similar problem which i fixed by upping the voltage to my ram from 1.5 to 1.56, it was corsair ram too.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Someone in my LS also recommended that I check my RAM voltages. BIOS had it set at 1.6v and the specs call for 1.5v. After doing so, it booted Windows with no problem for a couple days now.

I was going to suggest ram voltage but I see you have tried that. Which motherboard is it? And has there been a newer bios that deals with ram compatibility? I notice a lot of gigabyte boards at least have a bios update for ram compatibility.

Do you always boot with the same 1 stick? If so try with the other one, might be the 2nd stick is bad.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

i just had a similar problem to this. you said the memory slots were bad, and that the other memory sticks were working in that one slot? perhaps you should try a different pattern. i used to use A1, B1, C1, and i ended up having to play around with just to find out that 1 of my 3 triple channel memory sticks were defective and OCZ had to send me a new kit. when i installed it, it recognized all 3, but when i turned it off and on again, it was only recognizing 4/6 GB for the remainder of the time, lol. i found out that this issue is kind of common with this mobo even after updating all my bios, so you wouldnt believe what they told me to do (the trolls on the Asus forums). they said to remove the heatsink from my CPU and re-install it. well wth, i had to dust it out anyways, why not? i dont know what happened, but my computer boots up np recognizing all 3 slots being in now, and it works perfectly. i cant imagine what went wrong. but maybe you can try that. especially if its a hardware issue and you already updated your bios.

Well modern intel CPUs have the memory controller within the chip so I guess it could be over heating in your case Richardd. You hear about it happening on badly installed CPUs too were 1 or more pin is bend.

I just had a look on the MSI site for your board and there is 2 bios updates that are flagged 'Improved memory compatibility'.