1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 13 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 2 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

As said before, fatten your wallets in anticipation of whatever new DoW/DoM class you might like later on!

Quote Originally Posted by avelle View Post
    What happens at 16?

edit: Also I'm not sure what I'm doing. I'm likely doing Gladiator but all of the classes feel kinda underwhelming. There's going to be so much shit to do I'll probably dabble in everything anyways. The tanking mechanics in this game feel really awkward, but that may be mostly due to the UI and targeting system.
    What server do you (and possibly others) plan to be on?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I think of it in terms of a main weapon, which will be Great Axe / Gladius until musical instruments are available. I have a couple different hodge podges of abilities and spells that I like.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by darkepyon View Post
    As said before, fatten your wallets in anticipation of whatever new DoW/DoM class you might like later on!

What server do you (and possibly others) plan to be on?
    I have no idea. Trying to figure out where people want to go so that we can all hang out but nobody seems to know where the fuck they want to go. PM me and we can try to figure something out!

Archer is a lot of fun, but I'm not convinced their damage potential makes up for the cost of ammo in the long run. Also getting caught without arrows is really shitty as you have no other way to defend yourself. Soloing seemed to get progressively more difficult as things start hitting harder and harder and you aren't killing any faster.
    I've done a lot of pug/arc/tha trioing as the pug, and the arc probably does about 5x as much damage as me with the lv1 arrows. They are broken right now, and until they fix it, it is totally worth the money.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

What bugs me is it will be difficult to effectively play a DoM and a DoW due to how long it takes to change your stats around.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I didn't go crazy (time-wise) playing in Beta just because it seemed a bit pointless - I felt might as well wait for the real thing before making any serious progress. But I tried a few things out (mainly appearance options!) and learnt to get to grips with the game. I mainly played Archer, and not sure what I was doing wrong, but didn't feel I was doing that much more damage than anyone else at a similar level? I only got to about level 10 before I decided I kinda knew what I was doing and stopped levelling. I think the best WS I ever had was c. 300 dmg (Raging Strike + Puncture) with no food, not sure how other classes compare to that. The arrows were 3g each from NPC so 297 gil per stack - I don't think thats a lot at all given the gil you get from missions etc. I did buy a stack of the next arrows up and don't recall they were that much more. Also, be interesting to see once people start levelling carpentry, as they will kinda have to sell less than NPC (or who would buy?) but also depends on NPC resale price of crafted arrows.

I suspect partly the reason I didn't feel I was doing epic damage was because I only ever solo'd on Beta, and so, as mentioned above, I couldn't fight tougher enemies because I wasn't able to stay alive (even if I could do enough damage to kill them). Given that almost every enemy has a ranged attack of some sort, and the range of even longbows is not very far at all (and slow rate of fire), I'm not sure how successful solo'ing on Archer will be. Hopefully I'll have a group to play with once retail comes around! Also, someone mentioned getting caught without arrows - there is basically nothing you can do without them. Stone throw ftw/

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I dunno, I played every DoW/M class to 10 in OB and I found myself enjoying them all. What I enjoyed the most was Botany however odd that sounds >.>

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I'll be honest, I'll be choosing the class with the best looking armor. I can play any role and be happy with it. Now where's that model viewer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rrylia View Post
    I didn't go crazy (time-wise) playing in Beta just because it seemed a bit pointless - I felt might as well wait for the real thing before making any serious progress. But I tried a few things out (mainly appearance options!) and learnt to get to grips with the game. I mainly played Archer, and not sure what I was doing wrong, but didn't feel I was doing that much more damage than anyone else at a similar level? I only got to about level 10 before I decided I kinda knew what I was doing and stopped levelling. I think the best WS I ever had was c. 300 dmg (Raging Strike + Puncture) with no food, not sure how other classes compare to that. The arrows were 3g each from NPC so 297 gil per stack - I don't think thats a lot at all given the gil you get from missions etc. I did buy a stack of the next arrows up and don't recall they were that much more. Also, be interesting to see once people start levelling carpentry, as they will kinda have to sell less than NPC (or who would buy?) but also depends on NPC resale price of crafted arrows.

I suspect partly the reason I didn't feel I was doing epic damage was because I only ever solo'd on Beta, and so, as mentioned above, I couldn't fight tougher enemies because I wasn't able to stay alive (even if I could do enough damage to kill them). Given that almost every enemy has a ranged attack of some sort, and the range of even longbows is not very far at all (and slow rate of fire), I'm not sure how successful solo'ing on Archer will be. Hopefully I'll have a group to play with once retail comes around! Also, someone mentioned getting caught without arrows - there is basically nothing you can do without them. Stone throw ftw/
    When I was partying with my archer friend (15, with lv8 bow lv1 arrow), as a pugilist (13, lv13 weapon), I would do around 10-15 damage and he would do 60-70. I attacked a little faster, but that never made up for it. His weapon skills with Raging Strike stacked would do several hundreds (and was AOE) compared to mine which did around 40-60.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by qpoiuwer View Post
    When I was partying with my archer friend (15, with lv8 bow lv1 arrow), as a pugilist (13, lv13 weapon), I would do around 10-15 damage and he would do 60-70. I attacked a little faster, but that never made up for it. His weapon skills with Raging Strike stacked would do several hundreds (and was AOE) compared to mine which did around 40-60.
    Maybe your weapon was severely damaged because that damage as a pugilist seems reeeeeeeally low.

Maybe your weapon was severely damaged because that damage as a pugilist seems reeeeeeeally low.
    Well, lv20 leves at 2/3*. We weren't just running around Drybone duoing.

Nada happened at 16... not sure what I even meant... hah

Just hit 17, pretty wealthy(lol), and wanna spend some gil on some cool clothes/mining gear. Suggestions? Already have the feathered bronze pickaxe...

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by qpoiuwer View Post
    I've done a lot of pug/arc/tha trioing as the pug, and the arc probably does about 5x as much damage as me with the lv1 arrows. They are broken right now, and until they fix it, it is totally worth the money.
    Please don't go spreading this. I don't want square to jump in and nerf something that doesn't need to be nerfed to appease the fans. I feel like my archer is on the same par as pug, sometimes lower. And Mar is amazing. Does great damage as well as having a shit house of HP.

Sorry, sounds like you have a gimp pug as well as that archer having insane stats. Seeing as how at level 20 I am not even at half that much damage. And I've beasted out my gear.

The arrows were 3g each from NPC so 297 gil per stack - I don't think thats a lot at all given the gil you get from missions etc
    I spend a little more then 13k a stack and can go through a stack a leve. So all in all, I lose gil on leves.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Hate the classes in this game a lot. Will most likely just do a conjurer until something more interesting comes out

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

What if we called them by FFXI main/sub/hybrid naming conventions? Would some people like them more?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Gee you get awfully defensive whenever anything negative is mentioned about FFXIV. Do you work for the company? My opinion, thats all.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You get awfully accusing whenever I question the validity of complaints made by kids on the internet. *shrug*

With that aside, it was an honest question.

I can see where he is coming from, even if I liked a job or two. Not everyone finds something they click with right away. No need for the sarcasm, it's just not a viewpoint you share.

Anyone else sort of feel like all of the jobs are the same? And why is there still no info on the unreleased classes?

I think in the process of making each class have more diverse roles, they lost a big part of what made classes play so differently like in FFXI.

Not to turn this into a FFXIV bitchfest, but this entire game seems like one huge step back from FFXI.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I don't get how all the jobs are the same. What difference was there between a warrior and a thief in FFXI between levels 1-20? I think maybe provoke, steal, sneak attack, and berserk. I think. Especially if your thief used a sword.

If your thief used h2h, what was the difference within the first 20 levels of a thief and a monk? Boost? Steal? Sneak attack? Again, that was it.

This game has a lot more variation between classes at lower level than FFXI ever did. I think too many of you people are judging 20 levels of FFXIV against 75 levels, plus merits, of FFXI, and 7 years of time spent on developing (a few - FFXI doesn't really have all that many) new abilities.

When I play as a pug, I feel completely different than when I play as a glad. I'd feel even MORE different if we weren't all forced to equip nothing but cloth, but that's just the way the beta went - the Alpha wasn't like that, and once you started factoring in the defense levels and what you could and could not solo as what class, you started to feel even more separate from other classes.

The sample size is too small to make real statements like this one. Wait till' you're 50 before you start talking about every class feeling the same, or are you going to tell me that playing a red mage pre-41 didn't feel similar to playing a (shitty) whm or blm?