1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 5 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 5 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Telliani

The same with the comment about stuff the NPCs say. Before I knew how to get to the other cities, I had made characters for each one to see the opening movies and did the basic leve for Limsa. I swear at first when the NPC that gives you the link pearl, was actually someone over at the crystal hitting on me... then I realized it was the pirate. Amused me to no end.

I enjoyed fooling around in beta, took me a couple of hours to iron out the controls but after I figured out (heck, even last night I figured out that sacrifice can be AoE'd, man that made level 20 leve's soooo much easier...), I know that my husband and I will be able to run around and kill things, where as in XI, until they added the FoV, it was like "uh, well, we only have an hour, so I guess we can... do nothing?" Granted, the two of us are full timers so it'll only be a couple of hours at night to play except if I have free time on the weekends to spend more than a couple of hours poking things to death...

Got over the idea of auto-attack, I don't mind not having it, but we use vent with everyone in the LS we made...

I like the leves. We ended up doing level 20s in low teen levels with just 4 of us, and I'd pick up some from one town, another would pick up different ones, then we'd teleport to another city and do the same, so we actually got to do quite a few every couple of nights.

Hate, hate hate the market wards and that it took me until 3 days ago to find someone selling a bloody weapon. Lag on the crafting annoyed me that I didn't bother past generally figuring it out, so hopefully that'll get fixed. Sort of wish the armor was more or less... exclusive. For a while I couldn't figure out what jobs other people were playing, was a little too caught up in the small group I was with. Yesterday I suddenly realized that my THM was running around in level 21 chain (I had bought some to try out gladiator, forgot to swap the armor back for leves)

But, whatever, it's got our attention, we're not really people that will do "endgame" kind of stuff...

/no
    and /yes
    /surprised
    /panic

on Miquote finally pulled me away from playing an elf female mage (every other video game, that's what I default too)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

This is kind of a subjective "like", rather than something specific... but even though I didn't exactly *experience* it, I felt like the game had an incredible amount of depth. This is one of the things that really draws me to SE games - lots of other companies would be like "ok we need a desert area, a jungle area, and a rock area. send a memo to the concept artists and we'll go with the one that looks nicest."

But with SE games, you can tell they put a huge amount of thought into the cities, the designs, the history, and the general 'feel' or 'mood' of certain places - much more so than other games I've played. Instead of designing the cities and then creating the lore, they seem to create the lore and the history first, and design the cities based on that. As I've already said, this ended up giving this game an intangible but omnipresent sense of depth, and I think that's what will make me keep playing.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I liked getting an advantage for the retail version. Planning where to level, how to level, how to get rich etc. I expect some things to change but they aren't going to change most things when they have bigger problems to work on.

I liked the graphics, sound, world, leves etc. too. Pretty much what everyone else said.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

I liked the

Graphics
    Sounds/Music
    Voice overs

I could go on, but, what I really liked was seeing more things in the game as I played. I noticed the way my character would change his facial animations while fighting. Namely when I was attacking a crab that was guarding. My character got a more "determined/grimace" look on his face when I attacked.

Most of all, I liked seeing the foundation and potential for the game to grow over the next few years.

P.S. Loved having my Lalafell do /sit followed by /doze. Best emote ever. Until they make a /tankingdrunk emote.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Lalafell!

I was actually dead set against playing FFXIV, seeing as how my gaming time is already split up between FFXI and Wow, but once I got to play around on a Lalafell, I was sold.

the apple of knowledge
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

What i have like most is seeing the progression from alpha through to open beta. The game has really progressed and evolved and the designers appear to be listening, the first big complaint was that combat was slow, they changed that in beta. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the game will continue to evolve, we know that SE can do it from their history with FFXI now they can do it again with a new generation of game.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    NPCs in Ul'dah are awesome.
    You clearly haven't met some of the characters in Gridania:

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/Tatagoi

I loved the "New game feel" I had when playing it. I was expecting FFXI-2 when I joined beta, but I felt like this was an entirely new universe. Glad SE went the way they did with this game. Retainers, no auto-attacks, fatigue, "Control/Perspective/Craftmanship/Mag.Craftmanship;" all felt new and refreshing since I new almost everything there was to know about FFXI.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I really liked the crafting system. It's more fun than XI's where you just hit synth and alt tab while you wait. Still need to figure out when to use standard/rapid/bold however. Every guide I've seen conflict each other.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zisa Midvalley
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I really liked the crafting system. It's more fun than XI's where you just hit synth and alt tab while you wait. Still need to figure out when to use standard/rapid/bold however. Every guide I've seen conflict each other.
    Pretty much the same thing for me. From orb color, the humming pitch and even the rate the color changes on the rainbow orbs, it just seemed random. The only constant I saw was being able to easily synth something that was a good number of levels under my skill level.

Sagacious Sundi

I'm split on the gameplay but I do like:

-The music (Thanalan!!!)
    -Mor Dhona
    -Many of the creature designs (ogres and the primals are badass, nice to see hi-def favorites from Vana'diel, coblyns/spriggans/sheep/snurbles are adorable, cactuars are a nice compromise between the classic design and the more "realistic" takes in XI and XII), though I hate elementals this time around
    -Enemy aggression is much better so far (easy to avoid and/or outrun most), and I hope they stay consistent with what is aggressive and what isn't (unlike in FFXI where you couldn't be too sure whether these crawlers/worms/bees/mandies/crabs/pugils will aggro without looking up a guide)
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristio View Post

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/Fupepe

"My father makes ale, but he drinks more than he makes. When he's not sleeping he's looking for an excuse to beat me, so I spend my time out here on the beaches, looking for seashells."

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

The beta let me save 60$ by succesfully convincing me that I don't want to play this game in its current state. I will give the game 6months/1years before giving it a shot (hopefully, most annoyance will be gone by then and the game will be played on easy mode)

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Loved that I actually enjoyed, to some extent, every single job including crafters and gatherers. Won't have that "gdi I love blm, but I have to lvl rdm and whm for subs" annoyance from XI I think. At least not for me

Graphics are obviously awesome, everything in the game is just plain beautiful

VA's and storylines are awesome

Rampaging Goobue was awesomely hilarious

More character creation options than most MMO's is awesome

Pink tailess galkas are awesomely hilarious

Elves being far less ugly than in XI is awesome

Uemetsu's score is awesome

and would also like to second the addition of the /tankingdrunk emote

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

-Lalafells
    -Music as a whole, but Thanalan was the best.
    -60 fps >.>
    -The tears on BG/dev-na.

You clearly haven't met some of the characters in Gridania:

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/Tatagoi
    True, but only because Grid sucks.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ashley Weiss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormreaver

I really can't point out anything. I mean, obv graphics and shit. I could rattle off like 32905824905 things I absolutely hated.

But, in the pro catagory and magically enough, I keep having fun when I play it.

*shrugs*

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by AshTS View Post
    But, in the pro catagory and magically enough, I keep having fun when I play it.

*shrugs*
    Fucking FFXIV

how does it work?

Might change in the retail, but from my Beta experience...

What I liked:
    -Mages start getting pretty powerful from rank 10 onwards, while in FFXI they were completely helpless until late 50's;
    -Battle themes, while being your average RPG battle music with no originality whatsoever, are nice to listen to, unlike FFXI's.

That's it.

What I didn't like:
    -Graphics aren't nearly as good as people say. They're comparable to late PS2 games and are noticiably worse than a generic PS3 title. This game looks slightly better than FFXII, that's it.
    -Ambient and cutscene music are meh and they might as well not even be there;
    -Terribad crafting system;
    -Feels even slower paced than FFXI. Maps are way too large and even the most basic actions take forever to execute;
    -Lalafell footsteps' noises;
    -Generally not fun to play.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    -Graphics aren't nearly as good as people say. They're comparable to late PS2 games and are noticiably worse than a generic PS3 title. This game looks slightly better than FFXII, that's it.
    What kind of system are you running this on? :O

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    -Graphics aren't nearly as good as people say. They're comparable to late PS2 games and are noticiably worse than a generic PS3 title. This game looks slightly better than FFXII, that's it.;
    -Terribad crafting system;;
    -Feels even slower paced than FFXI. Maps are way too large and even the most basic actions take forever to execute;
    -Generally not fun to play.
    How to Troll
    By: Nevex