1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 1 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 8 hours, 31 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

lol... is that banhammer worthy?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    lol... is that banhammer worthy?
    Yes, of course it is. But it's totally worth it if you share it in-game. <3

Just to add to the list:

ZAM has completed their database with every monster, quest, job, zone, item and piece of equipment from the retail version of the game. There are also over 1,000 recipes up. Everything is available in English/Japanese/French/German via a language setting at the top right of the results page.

Our database can be accessed through

ffxivzam.com

which is just a simple search bar, so even if you hate ZAM you can still benefit from our database without suffering serious exposure to the site.

There are also a number of guides that have been put together to help people with the basics of adventuring in Eorzea.

FFXIV Guides

Right now, these include a "Newbie guide," Crafting, Getting Around, Guildleves, Retainers, Behest, Mining and Fishing.

Our staff has put a lot of work into developing our database and guides, so I hope you'll give them a look if you're fishing around for a good FFXIV site to help you out.

Archives is alot more user-friendly and easier on the eyes than YG (and thus already tons better in my books), bright text on black background is THE WORST colour choice you can make.

taking a look at ZAM's that looks sleek as hell too, so imo its a toss up between ZAM+archives.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm more curious to know what the most active FFXIV forum is currently, if anyone would direct me there.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The Zam database seems really nice after a few minutes of use. It's very easy to browse and seems fairly complete. It's probably the one I'll be using the most when I start playing.

One thing that I noticed was run-on fields in the recipe section. The name of the tools are too long and run into the class field, at least in Firefox 4 beta. It's nothing major, but might be something you want to change in the future.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Zam seems to be the most full as of now... But when I do pick up 14 I dont think I will use them. Just not a fan of zam's forums so I think I will just stay away from them and not give them my traffic. My vote is to Archives. Hope people can help get them up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenichi View Post
    I'm more curious to know what the most active FFXIV forum is currently, if anyone would direct me there.
    My guess would be ZAM/Core(both I myself would stay away from)

BG wont really shine till a little later in the game; in other words when people learn about end game.

Rainbow Dash was here,
    Applejack is a silly filly.

BG Level

I dont know about you guys but Zam is rocking the fuck out of the whole XIV database thing. Most complete and best looking/best feeling (which is so goddamn important that yg and archives are over looking).

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

We're working hard over at the archives to bring you all the features you guys want.

Multi-language is on it's way, bugs are being worked out, and a myriad of new features are in the works.

And as miokomioko pointed out, we are also relying on the community to help us out and make archives the best it can be. We're nothing without you guys

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

So this may sound retarded because I know nothing about coding, but do any of these sites have abilities to put up actually descriptions of things. And by that I'll use the the wowhead example:

http://www.wowhead.com/race=4

What I'm referring to is this bit:

The night elves are an ancient and mysterious race. They lived in Kalimdor for thousands of years, unknown and undiscovered by the races of the Eastern Kingdoms, tending the World Tree, Nordrassil. When the great tree was sacrificed to halt the advance of the Burning Legion prior to the events of World of Warcraft, the Night Elves planted a new tree and made their home there. Unfortunately, there are signs that the tree may not be as healthy as it seems...

The night elf capital city is Darnassus, situated in the branches of the tree itself.
    I can imagine people don't think it's important, but I'm just surprise that none of these wowhead-styles are doing this. That's something easy to add too, things that npcs say or what

quests they're involved in etc.

Also I agree with numbers, out of the three Zam's design is the nicest. One major suggestion though is to make a new category for npcs, instead of just putting them in with mobs.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

One of the things i really like about YG and why I use them (besides the look, which I really like) is how they have a source tab that list recipes and NPCs where you can purchase items on the list of items. I don't have to click every item to find out if I can craft it or buy from npc. Maybe something that ffxivachives can easily add. I will give eample, here is a list of shields from all 3 databases....

http://db.ffxivarchives.com/items//?cat=Shields
    http://ffxiv.yg.com/items?c=3.7
    http://ffxiv.zam.com/en/itemlist.html?slot=2

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I would use Yellow Gremlin if it wasn't trying to look like the inside of a highschool kid's Honda. Fake carbon fiber and all. Fully saturated color text on black background is horrible on the eyes for reading lists... I agree that the source column is a nice addition, but I've lived without it for so long that I don't mind wiki-walkin' around to find what I need. In fact, I kinda' like to.

Zam is far from complete, by the way. Someone said their mob-lists for every area were complete... Huh?

I'd still pick Archives, I want them to succeed since they have an eye for design and are entirely open for suggestions.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Antonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    Just to add to the list:

ZAM has completed their database with every monster, quest, job, zone, item and piece of equipment from the retail version of the game. There are also over 1,000 recipes up. Everything is available in English/Japanese/French/German via a language setting at the top right of the results page.

Our database can be accessed through

ffxivzam.com

which is just a simple search bar, so even if you hate ZAM you can still benefit from our database without suffering serious exposure to the site.

There are also a number of guides that have been put together to help people with the basics of adventuring in Eorzea.

FFXIV Guides

Right now, these include a "Newbie guide," Crafting, Getting Around, Guildleves, Retainers, Behest, Mining and Fishing.

Our staff has put a lot of work into developing our database and guides, so I hope you'll give them a look if you're fishing around for a good FFXIV site to help you out.

Elmer, I love you and all the work you have put into helping the NA FFXI/FFXIV community. I also love Pikko's whimsy and even the tangential bento box community she has created.

But I tried using ZAM, and got sucked into watching BFF report... which is ignorant and biased at best, destructive to a new community at its medium, and completely retroactive and horrible at its worst. I read the threads there, unfortunately, and the ZAM community simply seems to be run by WoW-or-GTFO.

There is just no point in trying to use ZAM for anything but WoW, and this is not because of some of the great contributors (such as yourself and Pikko), but because the majority of ZAM mods are content with letting the 10k+ posters or donors who are only interested in WoW and destroying any MMO other than WoW do their thing.

I know it is not your duty, nor your job, to regulate this, but I doubt that BG users will be happy to read the ZAM forums.

At the least, I know I am not.

But I am MORE than happy to read anything you post on ANY forum ANYTIME. Maybe ZAM could give you a little 'Elmer's Corner' where those of us who actually want to play FFXIV and not WoW can read.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The problem I have with Zam's is a lot of the info was taken from the beta and is incorrect now. Especially in regards to what NPCs sell items. Not like the other sites are complete or accurate either.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Eorzeapedia.com yet. I'm no prophet and I'm not saying I don't like some of the other sites, but if I had to put my money on the most frequently visited wiki of the future, it'd be this.

I'll probably be using eorzeapedia, BG, and ffxivcore more than anything, but if Zam's job forums are as active as in XI, I'll have to go there for sure.

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

The big thing to remember about Archives is that a good chunk of the work was done by 4 people, one of whom I don't think was doing anything other than backend work. So yeah, community needs to pitch in. The guys over there have been working very hard on it for a while now. And no, I'm not just saying this because my wife is one of those 4 people.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Eorzeapedia looks like a huge pile of monkey shit that was stepped on by another human sized pile of shit. The Wowhead style database is what's going to be popular in the future.

Plus it's fun watching Ganiman fail.

Rainbow Dash was here,

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    The Wowhead style database is what's going to be popular in the future.
    God I hope not it's such a terrible design

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

You didn't like the way Wowhead looked? I hated sifting through wiki pages.

Rainbow Dash was here,

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    You didn't like the way Wowhead looked? I hated sifting through wiki pages.
    FFXIclopedia was presentable and organized if nothing else. You may have to open a few tabs to look at things but I'm okay with that.