1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 57 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 13 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 20 hours, 57 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I have no problem leveling goldsmithing and blacksmithing 1-10 to support my 10-20 Armorer, but the problem I'm running into now is twofold:

(1)For skillup synths, having g.s. and b.s. leveled allows me to make just about anything I need. But for profit synths, if I wanted to be fully self sufficient, I'd need basically every other single craft leveled to 10+.
    (2)While it is not difficult to level a number of crafts to 10, I can't possibly imagine leveling several extra crafts to support your main one up into the 20's and onward. Far too much time and money.

I think because of (2), it'll be popular for lots of crafters to level lots of crafts to 10, but later on, people will learn to become inter-dependent.

I would absolutely hate it if that didn't happen and the majority of crafters took a independent approach in light of SE's "be a jack-of-all-trades" design inherent in FFXIV's system. That would make for such a boring MMO.

It's fine, I'm just confused how I see some people synthing like 10+ Bronze chainmails, do they know a trick I don't or something?
    I'm thinking they learned from playing beta. That they have to level a bunch of different crafts at once early on. Or, they have a crafting LS or know people.
    It's incredibly hard to level past 11 outside leves without a new one. You end up being stuck grinding low level synths for ~150 skill a synth (instead of, say, 250-300).
    I don't like 100exp/synth but I'm wondering if it's really so bad... Right now I'm doing the copper nugget + copper square 2x recipe almost all the way to 14. While it's low exp/synth the matts are very easy to get and also fairly cheap. I have similar synths I am using to level blacksmithing and goldsmithing, all sub-10 synths. But I haven't found any great skillup synths 10+.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Shadowmoon

Quote Originally Posted by ascalon View Post
    I kinda get the feeling that somebody looked at all the synergy between crafts and said, "This is an awesome idea!" without really looking at the actual numbers and testing it for any real length of time.
    If menu lag didn't suck so bad and there was an AH, I'd be in total love with the gathering and crafting system. But I despise the market ward system and I'm not a fan of running around yelling for the mats I need.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/38207543/Bronze-Chainmail

Better?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

At least for now, the best way to get your crafts up really seems to be co-operation. I've been stalking some of the higher lvl crafters while crafting myself and the players that are nearing the rank20 mark on a certain DoH seem to always hang up with a partner, or have someone visit them every so often (bringing mats from other crafts most likely). Also nearly always after encountering a higher rank DoL I tend to check their lodestone profile and in most cases I've only seen them having one or two DoL at rank8-12 in addition to that one higher rank DoL, which only strenghtens the probability of them having some sort of teamwork in the background, cause myself with no crafter friends to back me up, have had to exp much more DoLs to 10ish than just one to back the main craft up.

And yeah, so far it's only been japanese people with the DoLs at "higher" levels, so haven't really bothered trying to communicate with them for tips or such.

What a friend and i done is alternated the ones we need, so i have levelled WVR/CRP/ALC whilst he has levelled SMT/ARM/LW this has allowed us to get access to the most materials needed.

The main problem i have with this system at the moment, is the amount of dyes you need to make stuff. There should be options to just use the standard colour to make a recipe. Having to use Taupe Leather or other colours is pretty annoying.

Good example of this is 2 Undyed Hempen Cloth, 1x sheepskin, 1x hempen thread makes a Hempen Hat, however if you make this with a Taupe Sheepskin instead it makes something totally different, doesn't really make any sense.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I see many Japanese shouts on Besaid for crafting-based LS's actually. But it seems to be the same people shouting.

My friend and I are going to try splitting things between us. I'm doing armorcraft with subs in blacksmithing and gold. He'll do wood, leather, and cloth. That just about covers it all; will have to see how it works.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I feel like Alchemy, Fishing, and Cooking are almost in their own little separate group...

Also, Cooking's Rank-10 ability kinda' sucks, very low-priority on the cross-class abilities list.

Hasty Hand at 15 weaver also seems a rather interesting ability, i used it and on my first go and got an instant break. Guess it is an all or bust ability used for making the threads and cloth at a later level but still pretty funny to see an instant break.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    The trouble with leveling another crafting job because the one you want to level needs things from it, is that the other craft needs thing from another job. You can't realistically level up all the jobs.
    wut!?

lies I tell you!

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...cicuid=1217860

after I get a few more crafts to 11, where I can actually craft my upgraded lv12 crafting tools, I plan to do goldsmithing (because I need brass ingots later...)

an AH would greatly reduce the "necessity" to level all crafts... by a great margin ;/
    but hey.. besides taking many hours/obscene amount crystals/ and having 90% your inventory used at all times... you can self repair everything and making hundreds of thousands of gold per day...! (especially when I can craft chainmail, seems like high demand even at 30K each proposed price)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    The trouble with leveling another crafting job because the one you want to level needs things from it, is that the other craft needs thing from another job. You can't realistically level up all the jobs.

So armorer needs blacksmith for stuff. But it also needs goldsmiths to provide brass nuggets which creates the brass rivets used to make the copper alembic for alchemist. The same brass nuggets are used to create the brass plates to create the brass alembic.

Its a headache.

Armorers on Lindblum: please contact me I need a brass alembic. My 17 alchemist begs you.

._.

Chevalier Vuitton

Edit:

Another example that I am sure a lot of servers are feeling.

Rubber Soles. An easy synth that equipment crafters need. Only trouble is that it requires rubber, another easy synth, but that requires brimstone.

Brimstone. A level 11-20 (15+ i think) goldsmith synth from pyrite.

All of the level 1 alchemist leves reward you with Latex. Which is used to create Rubber with brimstone. So I have like 200 Latex and 0 brimstone because nobody on the server yet is high enough to make it.

I had a lvl 13 goldsmith fail five times.
    I wish you were on Fabul. I've been trying to get my Alembics sold for days...

And yeah, Iwe've set our linkshell up in such a way that we cover all of the crafts and help each other out with materials. The way it is now, it'd be hard to get any of the higher-level tools without contacts in other crafts.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm on Fabul too. What's your name?

I've been trying to make a Harpoon for days but I've been unable to find the mats/crafters needed.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Gulkeeva: I tried doing the same but bag space was killing me. I think I'll just level alchemy mainly and level the other crafts with leves. I'm too lazy to run to each city just to boost up one craft anyways. Also thanks for the sheepskin harness.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I feel like Alchemy, Fishing, and Cooking are almost in their own little separate group...

Also, Cooking's Rank-10 ability kinda' sucks, very low-priority on the cross-class abilities list.
    Alchemy is a little bit in its own group. You don't need a subcraft to skill it up. Cooking helps a lot if you want to make maple syrup/honey/cooking oils. Fishing helps too if you want to make powders. I think I may need to level up whatever makes daggers. It looks like Alchemists will be doing the poison/blind/silence/paralyze daggers with their powders.

I've leveled up to 20 without needing anything from another craft except for Armorer, which supplies my Alembics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaossamurai View Post
    I'm on Fabul too. What's your name?

I've been trying to make a Harpoon for days but I've been unable to find the mats/crafters needed.
    My favorite part about how crafting is is how much you guys will pay for stuff like a lv9 spear.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

So... anyone on Figaro want to sell me some Bronze Throat Guards? I swear I need 6 crafts just to make this stupid r14 armor.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

question for carpenters. so as someone said it's very beneficial it seems to get a new tool as you get higher up. I'm at lvl 14 carpentry still using the lvl 1 saw. My friends and I all took up a different craft so for the most part we've been able to make each others higher tools. However with the saw I'm kinda stuck.

the saw requires a carpentry item called an ash saw grip. But I tried to make it last night and broke it, not even coming close. Think I was around 45% when it broke. The mats to make it cost me around 25k, which I can afford, but I'd rather not tempt fate again until I'm a higher level.

My question is, has anyone tried to make it without too much difficulty? and what lvl were you at? I kinda want to gauge what lvl I should be before trying again.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    My question is, has anyone tried to make it without too much difficulty? and what lvl were you at? I kinda want to gauge what lvl I should be before trying again.
    Have you tried getting crafting support? I haven't done any crafting in retail, but I assume it might help.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Chaossamurai View Post
    Have you tried getting crafting support? I haven't done any crafting in retail, but I assume it might help.
    lol ya I had the super one, still no go. I don't think it's a lvl 11 synth as it was posted (on yg, etc.), or I was insanely unlucky. I broken every synth but 1. And I don't think I am picking the wrong choices either. But again, if I was unlucky, I'd like someone who's made it let me know, so I'd know I could try again, or if I should wait to be a higher level.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    question for carpenters. so as someone said it's very beneficial it seems to get a new tool as you get higher up. I'm at lvl 14 carpentry still using the lvl 1 saw. My friends and I all took up a different craft so for the most part we've been able to make each others higher tools. However with the saw I'm kinda stuck.

the saw requires a carpentry item called an ash saw grip. But I tried to make it last night and broke it, not even coming close. Think I was around 45% when it broke. The mats to make it cost me around 25k, which I can afford, but I'd rather not tempt fate again until I'm a higher level.

When crafting check to see whats under "Recommended facilities" if it says common/guild/master" you will want to get that, as not having the right facilities is like -25% success rate.

If it also says something like "woodworking skill recommended" or sawing or whatever thats like another -25% (even with support well maybe like -15% with support). I've made a revised guide on crafting for open beta after making several hundred things myself~ works very well, I've saved some synths that looked like they were going to fail with 10-20% progress and 40% durability left

ash logs are gotten from bot class (omg bots!) and you can get "some" rarely even at Lv1, as the NPC charges like 20K per (and players sell atl ike 1K lowest I seen).

Also, yes I am at like 70-76 inventory used at all times, so I'm very careful with what I carry (I tend to carry alot mats to make only certain items). the only crafts I tend to leave out are going to be fishing/cooking, but once the AH is out I'll probably go full blacksmithing/leatherworking/armor and just buy the rest so I can actually have inventory space.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    When crafting check to see whats under "Recommended facilities" if it says common/guild/master" you will want to get that, as not having the right facilities is like -25% success rate.

If it also says something like "woodworking skill recommended" or sawing or whatever thats like another -25% (even with support well maybe like -15% with support). I've made a revised guide on crafting for open beta after making several hundred things myself~ works very well, I've saved some synths that looked like they were going to fail with 10-20% progress and 40% durability left

ash logs are gotten from bot class (omg bots!) and you can get "some" rarely even at Lv1, as the NPC charges like 20K per (and players sell atl ike 1K lowest I seen).
    ya, as I said I had the guild support, but the item doesn't even require it or any type of training on it. see here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...sId=A&rankId=2 (ash saw grip)

I have plenty of ash logs though from botany so that's not what makes it expensive. People are gouging the prices on the iron nails (lvl 21 blacksmith synth), and the brass plate I need a friend can make but it costs him 12k in the mats alone, so I pay for that.

I really want to say it's a lvl 16-18 synth, but it'd be nice to hear from someone who's made it.