1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 9 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 0 hours, 21 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by MrSamuels View Post
    Don't use standard, just rapid spam, at worse with rapid you will critical fail and lose 13 progress, a standard critical can net you a loss of around 30, i only rapid spam on a synth i know will be close to me failing, it is a lot more boring but it works around 90% of the time.
    This is not my experience at all as an armorer. Rapid has higher failure rate, and on recipes that's too high for me, I've tried both rapid and standard spamming, and have a lot higher success rate using Standard in white-only orb. The exception to this is on mass production (like Rivets etc.) where Blinding Speed helps increase the success rate of Rapid.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

using standard spam on white orbs is why your failing so bad =/

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    This is not my experience at all as an armorer. Rapid has higher failure rate, and on recipes that's too high for me, I've tried both rapid and standard spamming, and have a lot higher success rate using Standard in white-only orb. The exception to this is on mass production (like Rivets etc.) where Blinding Speed helps increase the success rate of Rapid.
    I am Armorer 14, close to 15 now. Believe me, Rapid is a better crafting process than standard.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by MrSamuels View Post
    Don't use standard, just rapid spam, at worse with rapid you will critical fail and lose 13 progress, a standard critical can net you a loss of around 30, i only rapid spam on a synth i know will be close to me failing, it is a lot more boring but it works around 90% of the time.
    this.. I've come down to just using rapid on white orbs.. you lose the least durability, and get the most progress.. I want my stuff to "complete" I could care less about +1 if its going to greatly increase my explode rate ;/

between alchemy and goldsmithing Lv10 abilities, you got a "good" chance to make things, as long as your not just using rapid all the time, need to wait on red/brown/flashing orbs, they have a lower chance for rapid success ;/

also about cloth, I was able to make the yarn around 10-12 and with some effort able to make cloth at 12, also made a cotton scarf at 10 for the +craft skill thing.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    using standard spam on white orbs is why your failing so bad =/
    I never once said I'm failing bad. Quite the opposite, I never fail crafts at all unless they're way above my level. What I said was that if I am crafting things way above my level, using standard is better than rapid. Rapid has a lot lower success rate, so just rapid spamming on these means you'll destabilize the element and end up bothing the synthesis much faster. Yes, rapid is good, but if you're too low for the recipe it won't increase the duration any faster because of its lowered success rate.

Edit: Naturally there are times where rapid spam is better tha nstandard spam, I never said otherwise. On most recipes, standard is better (or even bold on those much lower than you), or on recipes much higher than you, I've found Standard to be better though.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

i beg to differ, on most recipes rapid is better, you lose a lot more durability with a standard fail

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

ya if the recipe is high and you have difficulties making it = rapid spam

if the recipe is lower and easy to make = standard spam to try and hq (and some bolds in there at like 90%+ if you have a lot of durability left!)

On a note, anyone figure out yet what's the point of HQing anyway? (on finished products that is, I know the point to parts/mats)

The stars add hidden stats, why the are hidden i don't know. I know i have seen a weapon that had a star and it gave 10 additional accuracy too it. I will experiment with my hempen +1 stuff and get back to you what armor does, the only eyeballing increase i have seen is 1 extra defense ;/

Also, what are people doing orb wise when trying to HQ.

I go by;

Yellow = standard
    White = Rapid
    Red = wait
    Multicolour = wait 3 if still multicolor go rapid since i aint wasting no more durability on waiting

Seems to work for me on the quality side of things. Does annoy me when i have a hempen cowl at like 400 quality and it doesn't HQ though ; ;

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Lots of conflicting information in this thread. My experience and the experience of others and the details of other guides I read directly opposes some of the stuff people are saying here. My experience and most guides from people who crafted heavily in beta say:
    White orb = average chance for success on what you are trying to do; best bet is to use STANDARD
    Yellow orb = best chance for success on what you are trying to do; for example, if you are trying to HQ, use BOLD for more quality or higher guildleve reward. If you are just trying to get to 100% PROGRESS, use RAPID as that moves the bar the fastest.
    Flashing orb = Random result; can give you the effect of either white, yellow, or red orb. Best bet is to WAIT, but I don't like waiting more than 3 times in a row as the durability loss starts to get too high.
    Red orb = worst chance for success; always wait on Red.

Following this advice I almost always have success unless the RNG just bitchslaps me down.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Excuse me if this is posted elsewhere, but can someone give a quick rundown of the orb colors and what they mean?

Edit: sorry... came back from lunch and didn't refresh the page before I posted...

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

My strategy for easy crafts that have a great chance at HQ is 4 standards (crit success for 20% + minimal durability loss + quality increase), then 2 bolds (crit success for 10% + moderate durability loss + large quality increase), then spam touch up a few times for HQ.

My current record is back-to back HQ barbuts, then NQ, then back-to-back HQs again. I've also found that this works for certain materials that you might want HQed for future crafts, such as yarn. Having all NQ mats plus a HQ yarn can go a long way towards completing a tough synth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawfee View Post
    Lots of conflicting information in this thread. My experience and the experience of others and the details of other guides I read directly opposes some of the stuff people are saying here. My experience and most guides from people who crafted heavily in beta say:
    White orb = average chance for success on what you are trying to do; best bet is to use STANDARD
    Yellow orb = best chance for success on what you are trying to do; for example, if you are trying to HQ, use BOLD for more quality or higher guildleve reward. If you are just trying to get to 100% PROGRESS, use RAPID as that moves the bar the fastest.
    Flashing orb = Random result; can give you the effect of either white, yellow, or red orb. Best bet is to WAIT, but I don't like waiting more than 3 times in a row as the durability loss starts to get too high.
    Red orb = worst chance for success; always wait on Red.

Following this advice I almost always have success unless the RNG just bitchslaps me down.
    The contradicting information would be that abilities like "Preserve" which "Activate favorable synthesis conditions" turn the orb WHITE, the context menu gives you the option to do it on RED or YELLOW.

Which implies that yellow is BAD, and is likely the stage between white and red.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

That makes sense. Ugh, this is what I get for listening to people on Core. Although my strategy has often worked for me... weird.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Synths up Mother****'n Flames

I wish I had some insight to give on crafting logic, but the system is new and a most of it is still subject to analysis.

What I'm particularly wondering tonight is... what is the deal with synths going up in flames?

In particular, does anyone have any opinions as to what kind of elemental balance is advisable? Does a low ice element cause fire outbreaks? Or does low fire element cause fire outbreak? Does high fire element cause fire outbreaks, or does putting a lot of fire element into your physical attributes strengthen your defenses against it?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Normally if I'm the same level as a synth, I can get success 80% of the time or do.

Today, I'm 4 levels over synths and failing 90% of the time. Is it because my accessories are in red? I cant see that being it, cause they have nothing to do with crafting.

What the fucks up?

I've lost 15 flax and about 4 Taupe bugs today and I'm about to break something

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Do you mean "up in flames" as in the synth failing?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Now I can't do a goldsmithing recipe to make nugget 10 levels under me.

I've failed 3x. A level 1 synth at level 10. I can't repair my shit because synths keep breaking.

Edit: Failing level 1 shit on all crafts with only about 10-15% progress, did SE update something?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You people are silly. For success you want to switch between standard and rapid as if you were playing rock paper scissors and your opponent only has 2 fingers. Success may have a higher durability loss on fail, but it loses less durability on success usually.

Oh, and yeah- it seems synths may be borked right now. People were reporting a durability loss that was waaaay to big, even on success.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

or do you mean the sparking?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

merged threads since this seems to be the big crafting questions/theories one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast